Hamilton Net Runs - 101.7
Barney Net Runs - 84.7
Hamilton - 3.4
Barney - 4.6
Hamilton - 4.4
Barney - 2.5
Hamilton - 3.9
Barney - 1.8
Hamilton - 38.4
Barney - 5.8
So you gotta use more than just one metric, otherwise you are going to think the stat sucks because of preconceived notions.
Hamilton is really bad defensively in centerfield. So bad that it zaps the positional value that he gains by playing center. He should be in left or DHing.
Barney is the best defensive second basemen in the game. He saved 25 runs by himself this season. That's a ton of runs for an individual to save at any position. Much less a position equal to that of a centerfielder.
Their values come closer because while Hamilton was able to create over 100 runs offensively this season, he was a -11 runs defensively in center. Meaning he was well below average defensively for his position.
Barney only created 54 runs offensively. But his defense helps raise his value significantly. Plus he's the better base runner.
Hamilton is better, you can't just use one WAR stat and think that's all the stat does. If you use it as a be-all, end-all you'll never have enough information. It needs to be used as a snap shot only.
Here's my take.
1. He's not on roids and never was
2. There is a rumor he's older than he actually is.
3. He's 33 right now and that's when traditionally noticeable decline begins to show itself in ball players.
4. Technically speaking ball players peak between 26-29
5. Visual acuity and perception starts to decline after 29 which coincidentally is when players start declining
6. He's never been a workout warrior, but he didn't used to be soft. Look at Pujols at age 25. He had no belly. Now, quite honestly he looks too soft for a pro athlete. I know it's baseball, but still being in shape can't hurt.
7. Could be multiple down seasons (for him), but I think it's mostly age.
Pujols has always taken care of his body, idk what you're talking about
Did people not pay attention after May?
FWIW, Bill James, who I usually think is a huge low-baller on his projections, has him at a 398 wOBA this year, which would be his best since 10, by a significant margin.
At even for Albert
OSU Beavers (Football):
He's still top ten, and while he lists at 32 isnt it possible that he is a few years older? alotta players born in the dominican have done this to boost there stock and get themselves on mlb teams radars. Anyways he will be considered an all time great when all is said and done,He is the only player in major league history to bat at least .300 with 30 or more home runs and 100 or more runs batted in in his first 10 seasons.
Jonathan Husky is a concerned Mets fan.
1999, 2004, 2011 National Champions