Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I doubt there's any chance he's taking a 5/$36m deal. This will be his one/only chance at a big contract. He's going to get double digits. Lets put it this way: he was just about making that in 2012. If he repeats 2012, think something more along the lines of 5/$60-70.

People put way too much into this idea that he's a "home town boy" and he "wants to be here". Yes, he wants to be here. Derek Jeter wanted to be in NY for his career, and even when contracts were smaller was making a ton of money, so lets get a little realistic here.
    I entirely agree with you. He's turning 28 next week and isn't going to settle for a deeply discounted contract that carries him until he's 33. I fully expect him to get $5.5 mm - $6 mm this year and, if he pitches in 2013 like he did in 2012, looking at something in the $10 mm - $12 mm range for 2014 and possibly $15 mm+ for 2015 then free agency. By then, starting pitching for a top of the line starter, as many think he can become, will fetch $18 mm+ easily and he'd probably get a 4 year deal. So, possibly looking after this year at as much as 6 years, $105 mm ($17.5 mm per year). Discount that 25% for risk factors and you're at about $12.25 mm per year and that gets to 5/$61.25 mm. I just can't see him settling for any less

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Ha Ha Ha Pods where you been??? I was not wrong in what I posted I jumped the gun but when the Horse said he was in the Stable I believe the horse...my name in his Sig was my opinion about the deal getting done but then the Cubs backed out...wrong??
    DAMN!!! You think I like to boast and brag...UNTRUE. Show me where I have been 100% wrong on anything and Show me where I say I TOLD YOU SO?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Blah blah blah
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I like the one year deals - make them play their ***** off to earn the big pay day.

vCash
    Makin him really prove himself. He has another injury-free year with sweet results - he'll get extended.

vCash
    Use him up until his arbitration years are over, then he'll be a dreaded old player and let him go in favor of the kids.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    It wouldn't be an extension, as he doesn't even have a contract to extend on to.

He has two years of arb before he hits the FA market. Personally I would not allow that to happen. Maybe sign him for this year, but unless they plan on letting him go, they have to ink him to a 4 or 5 year deal before the 2014 season starts. Buy out his last year of arb, and add 3 or 4 years on to that. Or they can say, what the hell, and buy out his last two years of arb and maybe add 2 or 3 more years on to that.
    Last edited by thawv; 01-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

You can always create a place for yourself.
    vCash
    i am sure everyone knows this but since there is no thread about it, garza and cubs avoided arbitration and signed 10.25 million one year contract
    Cubs Bulls Bears Blackhawks

vCash
    Must mean he is expected to be healthy before season starts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chi416 View Post
    I entirely agree with you. He's turning 28 next week and isn't going to settle for a deeply discounted contract that carries him until he's 33. I fully expect him to get $5.5 mm - $6 mm this year and, if he pitches in 2013 like he did in 2012, looking at something in the $10 mm - $12 mm range for 2014 and possibly $15 mm+ for 2015 then free agency. By then, starting pitching for a top of the line starter, as many think he can become, will fetch $18 mm+ easily and he'd probably get a 4 year deal. So, possibly looking after this year at as much as 6 years, $105 mm ($17.5 mm per year). Discount that 25% for risk factors and you're at about $12.25 mm per year and that gets to 5/$61.25 mm. I just can't see him settling for any less
    The Cubs avoided arbitration with James Russell and Jeff Samardzija, Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports (on Twitter). Samardzija obtains $2.64MM while Russell gets $1.075MM, Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports (on Twitter).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    The Cubs avoided arbitration with James Russell and Jeff Samardzija, Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com reports (on Twitter). Samardzija obtains $2.64MM while Russell gets $1.075MM, Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com reports (on Twitter).
    I'm shocked at this!!!!!!! Sharks gets zero raise!!! I thought it would be close to double his 2012 salary.

They must have made a deal with him that they will give him a long term contract next year to avoid arbitration.

vCash
    Must be because he wants to stay here and loves it here...some guys just understand what it takes to help out an organazation who has given you so much in the past. Not saying that's the case but if that's any indication of a hometown discount I don't know what you would call it. IJS!
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12