Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

One year extension for Samardzija?

Although Jeff Samardzija is part of the Chicago Cubs' long-term plans, a long-term contract for the starting pitcher appears to be at least a year away.

According to a source with knowledge of talks between the Cubs and Samardzija, the two sides had brief conversations about a long-term deal in early December but decided that, for now, they will work on a one-year deal for 2013.

Samardzija filed for salary arbitration on Tuesday, along with 132 other major league players.That list included fellow Cubs pitchers Matt Garza and James Russell.

A long-term deal for Samardzija could have been in the same ballpark as the contract for Cincinnati Reds ace Johnny Cueto, who signed at four years, $27 million before the 2010 season. Since that time the price for top-line starting has jumped significantly. Samardzija's new teammate Edwin Jackson will make an average of $13 million a season for the next four years despite a 70-71 career record.

Samardzija, a former Notre Dame All-American wide receiver, compiled a 9-13 record in 2012 with a solid 3.81 ERA. The Cubs starter made $2,640,000 in 2012.This will be his first year of salary arbitration.

The Cubs have Samardzija's contract under control until after the 2015 season. He signed a four-year, $10.8 million contract with the Cubs after being drafted in the fifth round of the 2006 amateur draft.

Calls to Samardzija's agent, Mark Rogers, were not immediately returned.
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...-one-year-deal

Any thoughts?

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

You can always create a place for yourself.
    vCash
    how much is he asking for this coming year? I am ok with signing one year contract. I don't want to be stuck with another one year wonder type of player
    Cubs Bulls Bears Blackhawks

vCash
    Risky, if he goes off this year we will obviously have to pay him more than if we extended him now. I can't judge this without knowing what type of moo-la he wants.

vCash
    I say Shark gets 5.5 million and then a 5 year 36 million dollar deal as it's not about the money for him as he has said he wants to be here.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    I say Shark gets 5.5 million and then a 5 year 36 million dollar deal as it's not about the money for him as he has said he wants to be here.
    No way in hell, unless he takes a massive step back this year.

If he were willing to sign something like that today, they would be all over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
    No way in hell, unless he takes a massive step back this year.

If he were willing to sign something like that today, they would be all over it.
    I believe that he is that's why it's tabled and he is under control for 2 more years...don't be suprised at the contract and I am not big on I told you so's might get a nice 10 million dollar bonus but I say he will be right around 7 million per year and YES I think that's a nice home town discount.
    Last edited by ABE32; 01-16-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

vCash
    I doubt there's any chance he's taking a 5/$36m deal. This will be his one/only chance at a big contract. He's going to get double digits. Lets put it this way: he was just about making that in 2012. If he repeats 2012, think something more along the lines of 5/$60-70.

People put way too much into this idea that he's a "home town boy" and he "wants to be here". Yes, he wants to be here. Derek Jeter wanted to be in NY for his career, and even when contracts were smaller was making a ton of money, so lets get a little realistic here.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 01-16-2013 at 07:23 AM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I doubt there's any chance he's taking a 5/$36m deal. This will be his one/only chance at a big contract. He's going to get double digits. Lets put it this way: he was just about making that in 2012. If he repeats 2012, think something more along the lines of 5/$60-70.

People put way too much into this idea that he's a "home town boy" and he "wants to be here". Yes, he wants to be here. Derek Jeter wanted to be in NY for his career, and even when contracts were smaller was making a ton of money, so lets get a little realistic here.
    Shark made 2.64 mill this past year and if he gets 36 mill for 5 year plus a 10 million signing bonus that not to far off your 50 million number in total dollar amount. Just saw you said 60...oh well we will see how it plays out. Open Market he gets paid big time. Also I would try to extend him during this season in hopes of locking him up for a nice team friendly deal. It might be a pipe dream but I don't think one year as a starter gets you a double digit deal...that has not been the case in the past with relievers turned starters.
    Last edited by ABE32; 01-16-2013 at 10:07 AM.

vCash
    I like the idea of the one year deal to avoid arbitration since he's only been an effective pitcher for around one full season (between the end of 2011 and when he was shut down in 2012). There's still some risk and you could see it when he had control/command struggles at times during 2012.

vCash
    I believe that he is that's why it's tabled and he is under control for 2 more years...don't be suprised at the contract and I am not big on I told you so's might get a nice 10 million dollar bonus but I say he will be right around 7 million per year and YES I think that's a nice home town discount.
    To be fair that's because you're rarely right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheAutomator View Post
    To be fair that's because you're rarely right.
    And on the rare occasions he is right he is pretty big on I told you so's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheautomator View Post
    to be fair that's because you're rarely right.
    untrue...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    And on the rare occasions he is right he is pretty big on I told you so's.
    DAMN!!! You think I like to boast and brag...UNTRUE. Show me where I have been 100% wrong on anything and Show me where I say I TOLD YOU SO?

vCash
    DAMN!!! You think I like to boast and brag...UNTRUE. Show me where I have been 100% wrong on anything and Show me where I say I TOLD YOU SO?
    That dudes signature up a few looks like you were 100% wrong...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    That dudes signature up a few looks like you were 100% wrong...
    Ha Ha Ha Pods where you been??? I was not wrong in what I posted I jumped the gun but when the Horse said he was in the Stable I believe the horse...my name in his Sig was my opinion about the deal getting done but then the Cubs backed out...wrong??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast