Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression

vCash

Depression

Has anyone ever dealt with someone close to them that might suffer from depression and refuses to get help? Or anyone that struggles with depression themselves.

I am dealing with an unfortunate issue (not me someone else) and I know this probably might not be the best place to ask but I figured with a lot of younger people on this board they could possibly shed some light on this disease.

If I get any serious responses I will get into more details.

vCash
    Yep. My girlfriend always struggled with depression when she was a kid, and when she had a stroke 2 years ago it got worse. She would always refuse to go to see someone about it. I more or less gave her an ultimatum and she has seemed to taken it seriously

vCash
    yes, many times. I warn to not enable this person- do not become there nurse or mother and do not lose yourself for them- but also to honest with them and challenge them to work without belittling there condition. It is difficult situation but don't blame yourself just do the best you can to help. Its all you can do

vCash
    I did for a short stint when I was 12. Try and be there for the person because the last thing you want is for them to go to the doctor. Do stuff with them, even have heart to hearts. The doctor is just going to prescribe some drug that will totally alter and change their personality. The drug they gave me put me to sleep with in 5 minutes of taking it, made me constantly sad and pissed off at others and not my self amongst other things. It was weird, make sure they do not go to a doctor.

vCash
    This person I am speaking about is my brother. I am currently not speaking with him and I will continue to not have a relationship with him until he goes and sees a doctor. My brother is in bad shape. Cant hold on to a job. Content with living i my parents house (he is 30) and now no longer leaves his bed room. Everyone in my family has been burned by him so many times. My parents enable him because he manipulates them and they are worried he might hurt himself and he knows that.

Its just getting worse and worse and its coming to the point where some of us think he is actually will hurt himself one day. Just wondering if anyone has seen an intervention for depression. My brother thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with him and denies needing help

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rwynyc View Post
    This person I am speaking about is my brother. I am currently not speaking with him and I will continue to not have a relationship with him until he goes and sees a doctor. My brother is in bad shape. Cant hold on to a job. Content with living i my parents house (he is 30) and now no longer leaves his bed room. Everyone in my family has been burned by him so many times. My parents enable him because he manipulates them and they are worried he might hurt himself and he knows that.

Its just getting worse and worse and its coming to the point where some of us think he is actually will hurt himself one day. Just wondering if anyone has seen an intervention for depression. My brother thinks there is absolutely nothing wrong with him and denies needing help
    Talk with your parents first about them being enablers. Once you get the point across to them, then talk to your brother.
    Future Ace

vCash
    We tried that. its unfortunate bc we may have to tell our parents that we will no longer speak with them until they stop enabling. My father refuses to believe that my brother needs help and fights everyone on this.

Everyone thanks for the feed back much appreciated

vCash

You sure he isn't taking any drugs?

vCash
    We tried that. its unfortunate bc we may have to tell our parents that we will no longer speak with them until they stop enabling. My father refuses to believe that my brother needs help and fights everyone on this.

Everyone thanks for the feed back much appreciated
    It's often hard for parents to admit that a child of theirs needs help, because they often view it as a failure on their part. Try and explain to your dad that he didn't do anything wrong, and it's not his fault that your brother needs help. Also that he has to understand anything that happens to your brother from this point on could be his fault for being an enabler.
    -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by penuch View Post
    It's often hard for parents to admit that a child of theirs needs help, because they often view it as a failure on their part. Try and explain to your dad that he didn't do anything wrong, and it's not his fault that your brother needs help. Also that he has to understand anything that happens to your brother from this point on could be his fault for being an enabler.
    Have a look at this page my man
    Beyond Blue
    -

vCash
    My brother started his drama when he was 15... To make a long story short, it started with depression; that led into soft drugs; then hard drugs, then he got violent; then he set himself on fire... He was in custody of a mental hospitol from the time he was 19 til he turned 30.. He is 36 now,,,, and worthless.

When he was 18 he tried to kill my daughter and I.... The hardest thing I have ever had to do is to buy a 9mm and teach my wife how to kill my brother.

I have not spoken to my brother in 18 years.

vCash
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    go to see help

and you will realize that there are HUNDREDS of others that have similar problems

and it helps and has helped every person ive recommended to

if you cannot see professional help then talk about it with friends because they may be depressed as well and it helps knowing you're not alone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by INFECTED View Post
    My brother started his drama when he was 15... To make a long story short, it started with depression; that led into soft drugs; then hard drugs, then he got violent; then he set himself on fire... He was in custody of a mental hospitol from the time he was 19 til he turned 30.. He is 36 now,,,, and worthless.

When he was 18 he tried to kill my daughter and I.... The hardest thing I have ever had to do is to buy a 9mm and teach my wife how to kill my brother.

holy ****. I dont even want to imagine how hard that is man.
    I remember watching a documentary, it showed a study of a severely depressed patient. Didnt talk to anyone in their family, just moped in self-hatred. They jacked up her with Vitamin Bs, like 2000% the daily value. After a couple of days, she was chatty, enjoying company, smiling... she was like a whole different person. Sure, this is one of those quick fix solutions, but if used along with therapy I believe it could do good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by INFECTED View Post

I am sorry that you had to go through that man. I have had my issues with alcohol and drugs when I was younger. I was never an addict but I used to let the party go for too long. So I can confidently say its not drugs. I know every thing to look for. I hope it does not get this far but I only see it getting worse.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast