Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Yeah, and as we found out with the Soriano signing.. that is not always the case.

Still, can't blame a GM for injuries (which our young talent went through heavily last season). Sometimes things just happen (like Andy Pettitte's injury) and others, well even the best can't always see them coming.
    The Montero for Pineda trade looked great on paper... Medical could not see anything wrong in the shoulder.. then spring training comes and well.. reality sets in... still, Brian Cashman is not a doctor... If there was something there that was missed, it was the medical staff, not the GM at fault.

Yes, the GM hires people.. but sometimes that does not always work. In today's landscape (see DRAFT), the GM does not always get to choose who they can hire. Oh, you can try to overpay UFA's, but in today's market... most UFA's are not worth as much as they are getting. With the steroid era being over, guys are going back to breaking down in their mid-thirties... that means that most UFA's have only a 3-5 year window of being useful at best... That means you can't just go sign your way out of problems.
    For years, the Yanks signed the top free agents.. that cost them their top draft picks... over a series of years (about a decade), we lost quite a bit of talent because of those draft picks going to other teams. In '09, we they signed Burnett, Cc & Tex, that is their top 3 picks... gone.. when stuff like that happens once.. not a problem.. when it happens year after year... well, years later you suddenly have a farm system that does not have a large amount of talent.

Then you have teams like the Rays, who seemed to be able to stock pile those early picks by allowing countless guys to walk every year. The Yankee fan base would NEVER allow that to happen.. think I am kidding... who is this thread about? Robbie Cano and the possibility of him walking and the uproar about that chance... that is one player.

Oh, and forget about the Yanks talking extention early.. 1. the Yanks won't do that... 2. Scott Boras won't either.. he would have gladly re-opened talks before the options were exercised.. but you would have given him a raise during those option years over what he was scheduled to make... again, with SB, you don't get anything for free.
    Soriano was negotiated by Levine while Cashman had no contract with the organization, which was technically without an official GM, No?

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Soriano was negotiated by Levine while Cashman had no contract with the organization, which was technically without an official GM, No?
    Cashman was the first contract signed that offseason. Cash was also at the news conference to announce the decision and made it known that he did NOT agree. He didn't want to give up the draft pick to get him, when we really didn't need him... oh he came in handy last season, but in 2011, he didn't do us any favors other than get our first round pick given to the Rays and spent much of the season on the DL...

It just shows that as much autonomy that he wanted, and really should have... he is still getting outvoted by persons of higher rank... it may not be George anymore.. but it is still happening.

vCash
    Cashman was the first contract signed that offseason. Cash was also at the news conference to announce the decision and made it known that he did NOT agree. He didn't want to give up the draft pick to get him, when we really didn't need him... oh he came in handy last season, but in 2011, he didn't do us any favors other than get our first round pick given to the Rays and spent much of the season on the DL...

It just shows that as much autonomy that he wanted, and really should have... he is still getting outvoted by persons of higher rank... it may not be George anymore.. but it is still happening.
    I think you'd better double check that. I seem to recall that Cashman was between contracts and Levine and Afterman handled the Doriano signing in his lieu and then left him to clean up the mess.

Believe me, I don't want to defend Cashman but I think he was out of the loop on this matter.

And, for what it's worth, we agree on how history will judge Soriano.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    I think you'd better double check that. I seem to recall that Cashman was between contracts and Levine and Afterman handled the Doriano signing in his lieu and then left him to clean up the mess.

Believe me, I don't want to defend Cashman but I think he was out of the loop on this matter.

Cashman signed a 3 year contract at the end of the 2008 season that went through the end of the 2011 season.

Soriano was signed on January 18, 2011, so Cashman was the GM (though not the decision maker) when that deal was made.

Cashman was signed to another 3 year deal at the end of the 2011 season.

vCash
    Rays got Mikie Mahtook when we signed Soriano.. FYI

vCash

As theslick1 added, Cashman was in the middle of a 3 year deal at the time of the soriano signing. Still goes to show, that Cashman is not getting the control he wants, and most GM's have. Heck, here is a link that talks about just how much in control he is right now... I tend to believe SB on this one:
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...an-spend-money

That's not to say he has not had any bad signings... Name the GM who hasn't (well, excluding rookie GM's.. they have not had enough time to do anything) and you will probably find and empty list.

Just a bit of advice... this is the 2000's... nobody works without a contract any longer. Not like back in the 70's, where they would tell you "We'll get it done, don't worry about it...", and THEY WOULD... nope... no contract, no work... I guess you have not noticed that.
    Last edited by bfrap; 01-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.

vCash
    As theslick1 added, Cashman was in the middle of a 3 year deal at the time of the soriano signing. Still goes to show, that Cashman is not getting the control he wants, and most GM's have. Heck, here is a link that talks about just how much in control he is right now... I tend to believe SB on this one:
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/ey...an-spend-money

That's not to say he has not had any bad signings... Name the GM who hasn't (well, excluding rookie GM's.. they have not had enough time to do anything) and you will probably find and empty list.

Just a bit of advice... this is the 2000's... nobody works without a contract any longer. Not like back in the 70's, where they would tell you "We'll get it done, don't worry about it...", and THEY WOULD... nope... no contract, no work... I guess you have not noticed that.
    Can we please stop using this same tired excuse over and over? Everyone knows every GM makes mistakes, but it's the good ones who make up for it with good trades and signings that have a dramatic and long term impact on their team. Cashman never makes up for all this bad signings and trades, never!
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Can we please stop using this same tired excuse over and over? Everyone knows every GM makes mistakes, but it's the good ones who make up for it with good trades and signings that have a dramatic and long term impact on their team. Cashman never makes up for all this bad signings and trades, never!
    "Never"? Off the top of my head....

A-Rod for Soriano with Texas paying a big chunk of A-Rod's salary?

Bobby Abreu acquired for basically nothing.

Kerry Wood acquired for basically nothing.

Shawn Chacon acquired for two non-prospects

Swisher acquired for Betemit....

vCash
    Slickified!

Is there a mercy rule in this argument? How bout a tko?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post

Kuroda, Chavez.......

But Raul Mondesi sucked!
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Kuroda, Chavez.......

But Raul Mondesi sucked!
    Mondesi was a Steinbrenner move.

vCash
    why would the yankees trade there best hitter?
    MLB Stadiums: 12-30
    Sorry everyone i am a POOR SPELLER

Quote Originally Posted by sfattahian View Post
    I can't believe people think he is on roids. You must be the same people that actually think OJ Simpson was guilty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy247 View Post
    The contract he will want once he becomes a free agent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post

Yup, never. When you trade Mike Lowell for Ed Yarnall, you don't make up for it by getting Shawn Chacon. When Cashman refuses to trade Joba for Dan Haren, it doesn't get made up for by acquiring Kerry Wood. Sorry, but the scales don't somehow evened out whenever Cashman gets a tiny return on a trade or transaction after committing numerous boneheaded disasters. Even the players you named are completely laughable. If anyone were to put that on their resume after a 14-15 year career he'd be laughed out of town.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseballguy247 View Post
    We have had Cano in his prime. Figure he gets a 6-7 year deal, which could be as high as 9-10, he will probably only put up similar numbers to what he's doing now in his first 2 or 3 years in that contract. That means the last 5+ years, we are overpaying for yet another aging player.

Cano has done well here in NY, but unless his price tag comes down, I think he's gone and Adams fills in...

My opinion.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast