Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    To get him at 4-5 as opposed to 6-9 years you're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million annually guaranteed.
    Josh Hamilton, an ex-drug addict that has been plagued by injuries, got a 5 year deal at 32 years old. Cano will get 8. Although at a price south of $25 mil per year.

vCash
    Bob will EASILY surpass Prince Fielders deal.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Manny Ramirez? Jesus effin Christ I thought I smoked good stuff. NO, NO, NO!! I don't know how it can even come up as a thought.

Robbie Cano is getting a 7-8 year deal tops for 140-160 million. Anything more from anyone is just absolutely ridiculous! Take a look at Utley for example....the guy at one point was absolutely tearing it up, sh***ing all over the competition. Then Bam just like that, no more. He will be in his early 30's. A 9-10 year deal will come back to bite any team so hard in the a## in 3-4 years time, guaranteed. I love Cano a lot, and the fact he came from our system is even better. But he is not exactly a Derek Jeter type here. He could give two-sh*ts whether or not he remains a Yankee, knowing damn well he's going to be making GUAP if he does. He wants top dollar. Offer 6 years at 20 per, or let him walk.

After 35, the guy will be done, book it. Won't even be worth 15 million a year.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Bob will EASILY surpass Prince Fielders deal.
    hell no he wont, these are totally different scenarios and for him to pass fielder he would need a 10 year deal that averaged 24million a year, lets look at these guys, fielder plays a less demanding position, fielder had just completed his age 27 season and will complete this contract after his age 36 season, cano is 4 full years older than he was, and if he got a 10 year deal that would take him through age 41, no one is giving him 10 years. Fear not, he will get paid for sure, but it wont be 10 years, i don't know why yankee fans are so sure that someone will give him that many years.

vCash
    The phillies would have been ruined if he had given both Howard and Utley 10 year contracts when they were both hit 30. This is why I felt the Teixeira and Arod were so incredibly stupid.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Interesting reading all of these posts now that the Yanks are showing some financial retraint. If the Steinbrenner brothers are serious about getting the payroll down, Cano is not a slam dunk to be signed. Right now there are some albatross contracts that are killing the Yanks.

Boston realized this and started cleaning house last year. The Dodgers are stacked but thier payroll is gonna be off the charts. Once the Yanks stop spending freely, the rest of the league will follow suit.

vCash

vCash
    I enjoy reading commentary on this site. specifically Yankee talk, since I've been a fan for many, many years. I have to say that this Cano discussion is one of my head scratchers this off-season. Apparently The Yankees have decided on a "new philosophy". One predicated on fiscal accountability and responsibility. To which I say, "bravo !" This was long in coming, and I applaud it ...., kind of ! Professional organizations have to have a philosophy, a mission statement from which they operate. Those organizations that maximize their philosophy and achieve success, are going to be undoubtedly copied and imitated. You see how the next guy does it, and if you think it's a better, more successful approach, you copy it ! So now The Yankees are headed towards fiscal restraint, and that's good, but only one part of the equation in my opinion. So you look at teams with success, that have fiscal constraints, and still manage to be competitive. Manage to make the play-off's yearly, and in some cases, win it all. Examples could be; The Giants, The Cardinals and The Tampa Rays. Of those, let's look at The Rays and their philosophy. From a thousand feet it seems like theirs is "All the hard/smart work starts prior to the major league level". That every success at The MLB level, was only a by-product of hard, diligent work done at the "underneath" levels. Maybe ....., "A table is only as strong as its legs". Probably way to philosophical, but I digress. Their success seems to be predicated on building the strongest, most flexible professional player possible. And that it's assumed that every player "growing" in their system, will be counted on to help the parent club in one way or another. I don't see them looking at their youngsters as trade fodder. They feed'em, grow'em hoping they're an asset at The MLB level, and "Control them as long as possible". Team control is the organizations contribution at The MLB level. Don't lose them after you've raised them ! But here's the big caveat. If you're "destined to lose them", because of not locking them up soon enough prior to their success, and F.A. will more than likely take away that asset ......, Trade said player and, "GET THE MOST YOU CAN IN RETURN". Replenish the pipeline with other organizations top talent. I.E., The James Shield trade. You combine home-grown talent with acquired talent, sprinkle in the occasional, strategic F.A. signing, and ....., VOILA ! having 4, 5 players making 20 to 25mm for 7 to 10 years, is, in my opinion ...., CRAZY ! not only is it fiscally crazy, but it does not ensure success. Very long winded on my part, my apologies, but this all points out to the Cano situation. If you think you're upset by all of this trade Cano talk, wait 'til we lose him for a draft pick ! And that is a very distinct possibility ! Scott Boras is angling for Cano to be signed for Buko years at Buko money. You didn't lock him up a year or two ago, and now you should do the next best thing ...., TRADE HIM ! Get two or three top talents that are close to being MLB ready, or risk losing him for a late first rounder. Not only do you need a philosophy, but you have to execute it !

vCash
    Paragraph of the Year!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aureliomorel View Post
    I enjoy reading commentary on this site. specifically Yankee talk, since I've been a fan for many, many years. I have to say that this Cano discussion is one of my head scratchers this off-season. Apparently The Yankees have decided on a "new philosophy". One predicated on fiscal accountability and responsibility. To which I say, "bravo !" This was long in coming, and I applaud it ...., kind of ! Professional organizations have to have a philosophy, a mission statement from which they operate. Those organizations that maximize their philosophy and achieve success, are going to be undoubtedly copied and imitated. You see how the next guy does it, and if you think it's a better, more successful approach, you copy it ! So now The Yankees are headed towards fiscal restraint, and that's good, but only one part of the equation in my opinion. So you look at teams with success, that have fiscal constraints, and still manage to be competitive. Manage to make the play-off's yearly, and in some cases, win it all. Examples could be; The Giants, The Cardinals and The Tampa Rays. Of those, let's look at The Rays and their philosophy. From a thousand feet it seems like theirs is "All the hard/smart work starts prior to the major league level". That every success at The MLB level, was only a by-product of hard, diligent work done at the "underneath" levels. Maybe ....., "A table is only as strong as its legs". Probably way to philosophical, but I digress. Their success seems to be predicated on building the strongest, most flexible professional player possible. And that it's assumed that every player "growing" in their system, will be counted on to help the parent club in one way or another. I don't see them looking at their youngsters as trade fodder. They feed'em, grow'em hoping they're an asset at The MLB level, and "Control them as long as possible". Team control is the organizations contribution at The MLB level. Don't lose them after you've raised them ! But here's the big caveat. If you're "destined to lose them", because of not locking them up soon enough prior to their success, and F.A. will more than likely take away that asset ......, Trade said player and, "GET THE MOST YOU CAN IN RETURN". Replenish the pipeline with other organizations top talent. I.E., The James Shield trade. You combine home-grown talent with acquired talent, sprinkle in the occasional, strategic F.A. signing, and ....., VOILA ! having 4, 5 players making 20 to 25mm for 7 to 10 years, is, in my opinion ...., CRAZY ! not only is it fiscally crazy, but it does not ensure success. Very long winded on my part, my apologies, but this all points out to the Cano situation. If you think you're upset by all of this trade Cano talk, wait 'til we lose him for a draft pick ! And that is a very distinct possibility ! Scott Boras is angling for Cano to be signed for Buko years at Buko money. You didn't lock him up a year or two ago, and now you should do the next best thing ...., TRADE HIM ! Get two or three top talents that are close to being MLB ready, or risk losing him for a late first rounder. Not only do you need a philosophy, but you have to execute it !
    Paragraphs?

vCash
    At least it was coherent.

There's that other dude who doesn't use punctuation at all.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Paragraph of the Year!
    You actually read that? I'm waiting for the movie version.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    You actually read that? I'm waiting for the movie version.

vCash
    There's plenty of decent free agents next year I'd almost have two of them over cano. Justin morneau, Kendyrs morales, Stephen drew, Michael young Aaron hill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aureliomorel View Post
    This works great on principle however Cashman has shown little aptitude at analyzing, developing, nurturing, and executing a long term franchise vision ESPECIALLY concerning our farm system's ability to translate to the major league level.

And so, a new era begins.....

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast