Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 180
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    33,242
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    The Grizzlies don't have to trade Rudy to get under the cap.We could easily dump marreese speights or Bayless and be under.So the they have to trade him to get under is crap and not true at all.
    You mean luxury tax threshold, because they have absolutely no chance of getting under the cap without getting rid of a huge contract, probably several of them.

    And I dont think you can easily dump Bayless but pairing him with Speights could spark some interest, probably moreso than Gay considering his bargain contract and production. Still lets assume you move both. Thats 7.3M you have to move. Only 2 teams are under the cap (Houston and PHX(BARELY)) I doubt they would agree to absorb those salaries without more compensation (picks/cash) so unless you trade with Houston, that means every other team in the league will have to give back salary in exchance. I have to look up the rules but can they fetch enough of a savings with a 7.1M deal?

    What about next year when Tony Allen needs to resign and everyones salary gos up? Do you just continue letting the team degrade for the sake of keeping Gay?

    I do think the Grizz end up settling for dumping minimal players unless nobody is willing to help them, in which case thats the only scenario I can see Memphis dumping Gay for peanuts rather than a prospect+financial relief.



    Also this is the first year Rudy and ZBO are both healthy and playing together just play the season and trade him in the off-season if you have to.
    True but that isn't without its risks either. Sometimes a team has to take a step back to take 2 forward and if they refuse to move now, they may not have the option to take those steps forward and if the team fails to win now, your only raising the salary on a team with limited potential, no means to improve and may even degrade with upcoming extensions being intolerable and you've missed a financial window. It would be one thing if this was a crew playing at an elite level, but I dont think management is that impressed with the results.

    Still, unless the right deal comes along, it would be a shame to dismantle the Grizz for purely financial reasons. I think they end up keeping Gay and trying to deal him when the team is eliminated, quite a few teams will have so much cap space that they would be willing to fill it just to get up to minimum. Like the Cavs for one, unless they are serious about preserving their cap space for 2014.
    Last edited by Chronz; 01-16-2013 at 01:46 PM.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    12,328
    vCash
    1500
    Stats has a place. However, you don't know how players affect morale and chemistry. An example to this was a guy like Jamal Maglore for the Raps last year. His stats were terrible, but his presence and leadership did wonders. You can not measure that in advance stats.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    318
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Gay is kinda not that special of a player.
    smh

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,097
    vCash
    1500
    gay is overrated......hes in his 7th season...

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,413
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt20mik View Post
    Stats has a place. However, you don't know how players affect morale and chemistry. An example to this was a guy like Jamal Maglore for the Raps last year. His stats were terrible, but his presence and leadership did wonders. You can not measure that in advance stats.
    Do you think Gay is a paramount leader who's presence does wonders for the Grizz?
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    \_(ツ)_/
    Posts
    64,413
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysons_Beard View Post
    smh
    Aha! When you put it that way, I guess you're right. I'm wrong. Gay is a phenomenal player!
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

    Love y'all!

    Except for all of y'all.

    #FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    33,242
    vCash
    1894
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    I wasn't taking sides, merely pointing out that I don't know enough about advanced stats to form an argument either way. Your post just brought up a thought and I threw it out there.
    Gotya

    What I want to know is when did the Grizz start looking to trade Gay because IIRC it was long before Hollinger came on board yet hes the one in the thread title. His hiring struck me as Memphis wanting him to do what Morey did for Houston. Its still management making the decision and pulling the strings, they are just letting Hollinger do the heavy thinking on WHO they should trade with.

    Im sure if it were up to Hollinger he would just keep the best players available but salary matters and unless your team is seriously contending, no team should think their players are immoveable.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    59,108
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by tredigs View Post
    Au Contraire! I present my favorite NBA Youtube clip of all time:
    that dude might have slightly overreacted...

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    59,108
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Still, unless the right deal comes along, it would be a shame to dismantle the Grizz for purely financial reasons. I think they end up keeping Gay and trying to deal him when the team is eliminated, quite a few teams will have so much cap space that they would be willing to fill it just to get up to minimum. Like the Cavs for one, unless they are serious about preserving their cap space for 2014.
    This is exactly what I was saying I believe will happen. They are simply exploring offers right now, to see if they can get something that will offer them salary relief while remaining as competitive as they are. I figure he gets moved this summer.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cowgary
    Posts
    2,510
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Gotya

    What I want to know is when did the Grizz start looking to trade Gay because IIRC it was long before Hollinger came on board yet hes the one in the thread title. His hiring struck me as Memphis wanting him to do what Morey did for Houston. Its still management making the decision and pulling the strings, they are just letting Hollinger do the heavy thinking on WHO they should trade with.

    Im sure if it were up to Hollinger he would just keep the best players available but salary matters and unless your team is seriously contending, no team should think their players are immoveable.
    That makes sense, production alone doesn't necessarily mean value, and the balance between the two is swung even more when efficiency is brought into the fold. I bet JH has already figured out ten trades that would give them similar metrics with far fewer salary restrictions and it's up to everybody else in the office to make one work while still keeping their own vision and team chemistry in tact.


    "Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,265
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    that dude might have slightly overreacted...
    How? They lost the game because of that jump shot.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    59,108
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kenzo400 View Post
    How? They lost the game because of that jump shot.
    acting like that in your living room, nobody around, ok.

    acting like that with tons of people around you, while taping the game, not ok.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    9,604
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    This is exactly what I was saying I believe will happen. They are simply exploring offers right now, to see if they can get something that will offer them salary relief while remaining as competitive as they are. I figure he gets moved this summer.
    maybe, but if they are seriousl about being under the LT threshhold this year they gotta get rid of someone (speights). The LT impact is not just the fact that they have to make payments its that they don't get any of the other LT payments kicked back to them... the number is significant

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,297
    vCash
    1000
    P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlumpledink View Post
    They shouldn't have given him that big contract in the first place. When he got that contract they were criticized and the nation sucked air through its teeth. Rudy Gay is a good player. He's athletic, runs the floor well, he can shoot it from mid range and the 3, he plays good defense. He's good in the clutch.

    He is a good freaking player, and I like him a lot, but he makes too much damn money. He makes star money, and he's not a star player.
    That's what happens when the billionaire owner makes the money decisions then decides to sell. Maybe Pera didn't do his due diligence enough and now he wants to showcase Hollinger
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"



    HERE'S TO THE 2014-2015 SEASON !! GO GRIZZ !!!

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11,297
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    You mean luxury tax threshold, because they have absolutely no chance of getting under the cap without getting rid of a huge contract, probably several of them.

    And I dont think you can easily dump Bayless but pairing him with Speights could spark some interest, probably moreso than Gay considering his bargain contract and production. Still lets assume you move both. Thats 7.3M you have to move. Only 2 teams are under the cap (Houston and PHX(BARELY)) I doubt they would agree to absorb those salaries without more compensation (picks/cash) so unless you trade with Houston, that means every other team in the league will have to give back salary in exchance. I have to look up the rules but can they fetch enough of a savings with a 7.1M deal?

    What about next year when Tony Allen needs to resign and everyones salary gos up? Do you just continue letting the team degrade for the sake of keeping Gay?

    I do think the Grizz end up settling for dumping minimal players unless nobody is willing to help them, in which case thats the only scenario I can see Memphis dumping Gay for peanuts rather than a prospect+financial relief.




    True but that isn't without its risks either. Sometimes a team has to take a step back to take 2 forward and if they refuse to move now, they may not have the option to take those steps forward and if the team fails to win now, your only raising the salary on a team with limited potential, no means to improve and may even degrade with upcoming extensions being intolerable and you've missed a financial window. It would be one thing if this was a crew playing at an elite level, but I dont think management is that impressed with the results.

    Still, unless the right deal comes along, it would be a shame to dismantle the Grizz for purely financial reasons. I think they end up keeping Gay and trying to deal him when the team is eliminated, quite a few teams will have so much cap space that they would be willing to fill it just to get up to minimum. Like the Cavs for one, unless they are serious about preserving their cap space for 2014.
    Ok you've convinced me
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"



    HERE'S TO THE 2014-2015 SEASON !! GO GRIZZ !!!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •