Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/1/1...interview-2012

I actually agree with Hollins that there is more to basketball than just analytics, which is why Hollinger seems interested in moving both Gay & Randolph.

He's been a huge critic of both players value.
    This stat fool is clearly out of his mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    or you just make adjustments to your offensive game plan. Hollins is paid a lot of money to coach basketball.
    Adjustments are fine and all but most successfull teams have at least 1 player that can adequately create on the perimeter.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    So since he is tall for his position, you pay him that money?

Gay doesn't even attack the rim in the half court setting much, which is what Memphis runs.

You are missing the point. Its not at the expense of winning. They are obviously just gauging offers, not looking to shell him off for salary relief.
    Yes length makes a difference in this league, and Gay is also talented.

I'm not sure if there are any other players at SF who's available who can provide the same presence and production as Gay with lesser contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Adjustments are fine and all but most successfull teams have at least 1 player that can adequately create on the perimeter.
    Shot creation many times is what gets GM's in trouble. They routinely overpay guys like Gay for that exact reason.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Then why are 6 of the top ten players ever Pf/Cs?

Bill
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    Kareem

Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by b@llhog24 View Post
    Then why are 6 of the top ten players ever Pf/Cs?

Bill
    Wilt
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    Kareem
    I'm pretty sure 5 out of them six players also had a player that can create their own shot on the perimeter, They were the main guys on their teams though.
    Last edited by --23--; 01-15-2013 at 08:41 PM.

“If you quit ONCE it becomes a habit. Never quit!!!”
    - Michael Jordan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Plenty of SFs have his length. Plenty of SFs are actually above average defenders too.

He doesn't even attack the rim much

Thing is, he's the 20th highest paid player in the NBA, the 3rd/4th highest paid SF..and is arguably the 4th best player on that team.

There will be a drop off if they trade him, but it probably won't be much, and the salary saved makes it so worth it.
    This is my point, and I think the drop off is a bit more than your assumptions. I just don't think it's worth throwing away the good thing that's happening in Memphis right now.

vCash
    give me an offense that moves the ball, has shooters, and strong interior players, while having an elite defense, over a shot creator with a TS% waaaaaaaaaaay under league average any day. It means he doesn't get to the line, doesn't press the defense, and is actually making the other teams defense successful, forcing a long 2 attempt when he shoots.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Would be silly to not trade him for Beal/Ariza because I think you could not miss a beat now and be way better in the future. Ariza gives them the defensive versatility you lose with Gay.
    So where does the perimeter scoring come from?

Beal? A rookie jumpshooter?

Ariza has been absolutely horrible for several years now. He is not the same player from the Lakers finals runs in 08 but since he's been in relative obscurity since leaving people only remember him as the athletic, defensive minded 22 year old wing. Now he's 27, injury prone and at $7 Million a year that wouldn't make much sense to bring him in to attempt to replace what Gay offers on both ends of the floor at SF.

Tony Allen doesn't have enough size to guard SF's at 6'4 although hes a great defnder.

vCash
    You are all too stuck on the immediate short term.

The Grizz aren't going to give Gay away, but for the right package, like what that Washington trade could have been, they'd be foolish not to.

Yes, they'd see a small drop off this year (I'm not even convinced bc of how inefficient he can be), but in the long run trading him, assuming the get the right package, is a smart move.

vCash
    1 Hollinger is a Moron ( enough proof now mr Chronz that it was hollinger who started the thing?).

2 In general i agree with hollings, there is MUCH more than stats to basketball.

3 In the SPECIFIC case of GAY, i have to give the reason to the moron hollinger, gay is overpayed and overatted as hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    1 Hollinger is a Moron ( enough proof now mr Chronz that it was hollinger who started the thing?).

2 In general i agree with hollings, there is MUCH more than stats to basketball.

3 In the SPECIFIC case of GAY, i have to give the reason to the moron hollinger, gay is overpayed and overatted as hell.
    People who are ignorant to stats don't like Hollinger.

vCash
    Why throw a public fit about rudy gay? lol seems silly to me its not like hes that good.

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFTW View Post
    This is my point, and I think the drop off is a bit more than your assumptions. I just don't think it's worth throwing away the good thing that's happening in Memphis right now.
    Rudy Gay & Randolph's names have been mentioned in trade rumors and I wouldn't be surprised to see both gone during the offseason if they dont make a move for either one at the deadline.

You trade Rudy Gay now and you're pretty much conceding you dont want to make a Finals run to avoid the tax bill that comes later. Then Randolph and his huge salary would have no purpose being left behind since he'll be 32 and a gradual decline will continue for him.

Maybe Hollins would be gone or leave too??

I also do understand the strategy of Hollinger being brought in as an executive with the smarts to transition Memphis from this GrindHouse style of play with big money non-superstars to figuring out a cheaper, more efficient team around Conley at PG and Gasol at C. They do at least have a good start there having their PG & C positions filled with good players at fair market value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    People who are ignorant to stats don't like Hollinger.
    and why exactly do you infere that im ignorant to stats?

I just have kept track of how Hollingers **** predictions ends up being wrong time after time after time after time after time for the last few years.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast