Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What would the Jays record be last year without the injury curse?

I know, the season is over and everything.

But i'm more asking this because fans of other teams believe that the moves we made doesn't make us win 15+ more games than last year. My argument is simple, last years team would have probably won just above or below .500 if it was a normal year.

In otherwords, yes there would still be injuries, but it would be more like any other year where injuries happen sparsly.

So given the way the team was performing before the injury bug became a stand up comedian joke, where do you think the Jays would end up record wise?

And with that hypothetical record how does that record translate with the moves made going into this year?

vCash
    My prediction last year was 83-85 wins before the season began, and they were somewhere between 0-5 games above .500 at any given time before the major injuries were inflicted, so I'm pretty comfortable sticking with that 83-85 win guestimate.

vCash
    I always figured that the Jays would have at least finished .500 last season had they not had so many injuries. But I didn't think they were a playoff team.
    The MMA Pavilion

mmapavilion.wordpress.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BJBirdy View Post
    I always figured that the Jays would have at least finished .500 last season had they not had so many injuries. But I didn't think they were a playoff team.
    I don't think anyone thought they were a playoff team, but still better than the record they had last year.

This makes the jump to a 90+ winner much more plausable than a true 73 win team would have.

vCash
    Assuming we didnt get injured at all we we probably would have been in the Wild Card hunt come September. But lets say we didnt have so many crucial injuries I would say we were an 85 win team.

vCash
    I think the 80-85 win predictions are pretty bang on. A jump to being a 90-95 win team is a very plausible scenario imo.

vCash
    Im not one for revisionist history (ironic as im a history student).

vCash
    As MTF said, right up until the injuries they were hovering around .500. That being said if everyone stayed healthy (not realistic), they probably would still have regressed due to the young pitching running out of steam and RR's record correctly reflecting his performance.

vCash
    I figured if we had stayed healthy that AA would have pulled a deal at the trade deadline to make the team immediately better. That trade if we stayed healthy would have made us an 85+ win team.

vCash
    I think some of you forget how bad some of the guys who did stay healthy played. I don't care how many runs they scored in June, how much of that was sustainable when the lineup consisted of 2 above average bats, Lawrie floating around the league average, and then 6 crummy hitters. KJ sucked, Yunel, Colby, JPA, Lind, Rajai, Mathis, Thames, Sierra, Gomes all sucked. Pitching injuries were kind of ridiculous, but let's not pretend like Kyle Drabek and his 1 K:BB were some huge upgrade. Morrow going down hurt, yet he still managed to throw 125 innings when all was said and done. In the end, Laffey/CV/Happ weren't all that horrible. I think you could sell me on them having been an 80-ish win team if healthy last year, but 85+? The only real significant gains would have been getting back Bautista, ~60 Morrow innings, and maybe an extra hundred Lawrie PA's, to say that that would make up 12 wins seems a little crazy to me. Not that that means I'm pessimistic about 2013, I just can't accept injuries as the only reason the 2012 team was so bad.

vCash
    floating just about .500

vCash
    I had them at 84-78 going into last year, stay with that.