Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Cruz Situation (Mara: Cruz Asking for too Much Money Right now - Post #11)

I'm kind of expecting a Jacobs thing here where they run out of time, Cruz gets tagged but only to buy time and push the 2 sides together on a deal. Anyway, here's a good read on the RFA status he has:

Victor Cruz prepares for restricted free agency

Posted by Mike Florio on January 15, 2013, 5:06 PM EST

With the new labor deal utilizing mandatory four-year contracts for all drafted players, restricted free agency will become relevant in the future only when an undrafted player (or when a player cut from his rookie contract) finishes his three season in the league and has no contract.

The biggest name this year falling into that category, by far, is Giants receiver Victor Cruz. And with the new labor deal limited the maximum compensation for a restricted free agent to a single first-round draft pick (down from a one and a three), the question becomes whether the Giants will expose Cruz to the possibility that someone will sign him to an offer sheet the Giants canít or wonít match.

Per Albert Breer of NFL Network, use of the first-round tender for a restricted free agent resulted in a one-year, non-guaranteed salary of $2.879 million. The Giants also could choose to apply the franchise tag, which would increase the compensation to a pair of first-round picks ó but which also would increase the one-year tender toward $10 million, guaranteed.

The Giants may be safe to stick with the maximum RFA tender. Based on the lack of interest in restricted free agents like Mike Wallace last year, thereís reason to at least suspect that teams have opted to not pilfer these three-year players. If no one pursues Cruz, it arguably could be proof of collusion among the various clubs.

Of course, a team will have to be willing to give up a first-round pick and plenty of money to sign Cruz to an offer sheet. Even then, thereís a chance the Giants will match.

If he becomes available, the Giants likely donít have to worry about a division rival whom Cruz burned for a long, game-winning touchdown. Thanks to $36 million in cap penalties orchestrated in part by Giants co-owner John Mara, the Redskins have the cash but most likely not the cap space to fire a missile for Cruz.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-free-agency/

vCash
    either he or Stevie Brown gets the franchise tag.....at 1st i thought it was going to be Osi or KP but there's no way that's happening with Osi...KP still could get it though
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

"How come Eli don't feed me the ball no more?"
    Don't know Larry. Don't know.

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    either he or Stevie Brown gets the franchise tag.....at 1st i thought it was going to be Osi or KP but there's no way that's happening with Osi...KP still could get it though
    Lol what are you smoking?

Stevie brown Franchise tag lol, I'd take a second for him or him back on the cheap. KP is not getting a franchise tag and how the thought of Osi getting tagged ever crossed your mind is shocking.

I'd take a 1st for Cruz, 1st/2nd (No one will pay a 1st) for Brown and a 2nd for Andre Brown as well.

Lock up Nicks who is getting nicked up and doesn't have any real guaranteed money on the table for around 7-8 mil, 5-6 years and we're good. I don't want both Nicks and Cruz beyond 2013 unless they both agree around 7 mil.

vCash
    the longer this cruz situation goes on the more nervous I get, I pray its not like a steve smith situation I doubt it though smith was comin off an injury, cruz will be back and stevie brown to...kp is injury proned and I belive t2 said he was upset ...we have a lot of players we can lose..andre brown to......resign- cruz, kp, stevie brown...and idc about andre brown although id love to have him back Wilson showed some good moves late in the season and we still have bradshaw who may have 2 3 years left in his prime if he hasn't already passed it

steal of the draft cleanthony early

vCash
    if we lost cruz for a 1st rounder I feel like it would be a team like new England and then it wouldn't be worth it ..if it was a top 10 pick I would think about it..i just love cruz to much...got his jersey hanging next to eli's in my room and I don't want to take it down!

vCash
    osi is gone man anyone thinking he comes back is nuts...wasn't there a rumor him for lance briggs a few years back? only way I see osi coming back is another 1 year deal and hes made it clear he dosnt want that

vCash
    Can't tender him, can't tag him. They gotta get something done here.

vCash
    The Giants are going through their first steps of evaluating every player. Betting they are evaluating not only which overpriced vets they will part ways with but how to structure a deal which allows the flexability to sign a few free agents (and which to resign). Cruz will be taken care of. The Giants are likely just being responsible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    Lol what are you smoking?

Stevie brown Franchise tag lol, I'd take a second for him or him back on the cheap. KP is not getting a franchise tag and how the thought of Osi getting tagged ever crossed your mind is shocking.

I'd take a 1st for Cruz, 1st/2nd (No one will pay a 1st) for Brown and a 2nd for Andre Brown as well.

Lock up Nicks who is getting nicked up and doesn't have any real guaranteed money on the table for around 7-8 mil, 5-6 years and we're good. I don't want both Nicks and Cruz beyond 2013 unless they both agree around 7 mil.
    bolded statement really? ---ok have you been watching games consistently this year? IDT you know how well Stevie Brown has played this season, and he's an RFA, so obviously he needs to be retained, cuz if he and KP go, we're stuck with Rolle, Sash and Will, and don't think putting a 2nd round tender will secure Brown, cuz there will be some teams that will take Brown for a 2nd round, so don't foolishly think that S. Brown will be secured, and the fact that Osi was the only DE that played well behind JPP is the reason why I thought that, but it's not shocking, cuz I'm sure al= lot of Giants fans wouldn't mind if Osi DID came back to the Giants, and you're off track thinking NO ONE would take Cruz for a 1st...MIN, NE, SEA, & STL could be possible targets for Cruz to land with, so the Giants NEED to sign him up sooner than later
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

"How come Eli don't feed me the ball no more?"
    Don't know Larry. Don't know.

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    bolded statement really? ---ok have you been watching games consistently this year? IDT you know how well Stevie Brown has played this season, and he's an RFA, so obviously he needs to be retained, cuz if he and KP go, we're stuck with Rolle, Sash and Will, and don't think putting a 2nd round tender will secure Brown, cuz there will be some teams that will take Brown for a 2nd round, so don't foolishly think that S. Brown will be secured, and the fact that Osi was the only DE that played well behind JPP is the reason why I thought that, but it's not shocking, cuz I'm sure al= lot of Giants fans wouldn't mind if Osi DID came back to the Giants, and you're off track thinking NO ONE would take Cruz for a 1st...MIN, NE, SEA, & STL could be possible targets for Cruz to land with, so the Giants NEED to sign him up sooner than later
    Sorry bro you don't franchise one hit wonders who need improvement like brown who can still get signed to a cheap deal lol .

Cruz I can actually see us letting go and drafting a WR in this draft there's tons ..I wouldn't but how bad is our cap situation and how confident is jr becoming in his draft and talent evaluations?

Brown should come back cheap I think only 1 comes back though..KP or brown , osi who knows but lets not bet on him coming back .

Andre brown (this is to the other guy) isn't worth a 6th round pick lol injury ,lack of speed , shares carries and is a RB they aren't worth that much lol.

Cruz I'd take a 1stand 4th for but teams won't do it bc we might not keep him and he's a smaller WR ..

vCash
    John Mara: Cruz asking for too much money right now

Posted by Josh Alper on February 1, 2013, 2:16 PM EST

AP
    Earlier this week, Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz said he isn’t getting antsy about the fact that he and the Giants have failed to come to terms on a long-term contract.

Giants owner John Mara discussed the topic on Friday and shed some light as to why the two sides haven’t been able to come to an agreement. Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Mara said Cruz is asking for too much money “right now” and that “there’s a limit” to how much the Giants are willing to pay in order to reach an agreement. Mara went on to say that getting a deal done with Cruz “is a high priority, but he’s not our only priority.”

The Giants have a fair amount of leverage in this situation. Mara said they would tender Cruz as a restricted free agent if they can’t strike a deal — the top tender would be $2.879 million and require another team to give up a first-round pick — and the Giants would have the right to match any offer that Cruz might receive.

It’s far too soon to get to that point, though. Negotiations often start with two sides far apart before finding a way to common ground during the process. It might not happen before Cruz is tendered and may not be the done deal it looked like during the season, but there’s not much reason for Giants fans to worry about Cruz dancing in a different uniform.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ney-right-now/

vCash
    Welcome to high stakes Victor Cruz

The tender number is low yet would be interesting if a team with a high pick claimed him. Never know what that could be parlayed into (or not into).

vCash
    Steve Brown the franchse tag???????

Not to mention, Osi is unrestricted and I don't believe the Giants can franchise him. Why would they if given the chance anyway?????

vCash
    id let him go if a team offered him a big contract and gave up a good pick. Tavon Austin should be just as good as Cruz imo

vCash
    Double post.
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 02-01-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast