Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers4sho View Post
    Yeah there is. The weight he puts in each of the variables is entirely subjective.
    So he specifically alters his variables and algorithms to spite the Lakers players and their fans?

Hahaha.

He might not like the Lakers or whatever, but stuff like THIS is completely free of that bias. Based on how the Lakers have indeed play, how can anyone argue that their odds for either of these should be higher?

vCash
    I never pay attention to what Hollinger has to say or write.

vCash
    Why the hell does his playoff odds even matter? For all he knows the Lakers can go on a giant winning streak after the all-star break and get the 8th seed. Or maybe (god forbid) Iggy or Lillard get season ending injuries and their team sinks. This is why I think some stats are overrated.

vCash
    Yeah there is. The weight he puts in each of the variables is entirely subjective.
    Yeah he is probably using things like record, and how badly you have lost games and who you have beaten. Jerk. Clearly his statistical model should be based on things like how much you players make, and how many all star games have they been too.

If anyone made a computer model that said the lakers were going to make the playoffs, then they are a total homer.

vCash
    Look at all the stat geeks sticking up for their small dlcked hermaphrodite buddy Hollinger

fkn hilarious

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    So he specifically alters his variables and algorithms to spite the Lakers players and their fans?

Hahaha.

He might not like the Lakers or whatever, but stuff like THIS is completely free of that bias. Based on how the Lakers have indeed play, how can anyone argue that their odds for either of these should be higher?
    When did I say that? All I was responding to was your point on how his stats are completely free from subjectivity, which is clearly false.

vCash
    according to that dallas is under minnesota.

mark cuban already said he's making a trade 100%. and we know with love out 8-10 weeks and the slew of injuries that have plagued minnesota this year they will fall.

so right there doesn't pass the common sense test.

miami only had 5.9 chance of winning chip lol. while okc 27%, spurs 26.1%, and clippers 19.6. now considering miami is best team in the east i would have to say they are at least close to 50/50 to win a chip. especially since they did it last year. that is hilarious by itself 5.9% chance?

we all know the lakers are going to finish over .500. and expect lakers to make some moves maybe big maybe small but moves none the less that will elevate them to at least a playoff birth.

the mavs have made playoffs 12 consecutive years and that was the promise dirk was given to have winning seasons.

not to mention the jazz have to either move millsap or jefferson so they will fall.

and grizzlies have to move gay and/or z-bo.

even portland is above lakers and they will be getting younger as well trying to trade some of their expirings like jj. hickson double double guy.

and we all know houston is a joke parsons can shoot and we all know about the 6th man but what after that? so they will fall. and doubt they make the playoffs.

and denver might get rid of gallanari their leading scorer and maybe wilson chandler. so not sure how they will react to loosing their leading scorer.

all of these are rumors of course. but facts that certain owners either have cap room willing to spend ie mavs or are over the cap and wanting to get under the cap like grizzlies for example.

and golden state in the playoffs? ha that is laughable on its face. ok maybe 7th or 8th. they are a young team and will crack in close games and panic when see playoffs is coming near. i expect their guard to hurt his ankles again. he is always injured.

okc, clippers, spurs (top tier), grizzlies, lakers, denver, utah, and maybe dallas sneaks in there at 8th spot.

vCash
    When did I say that? All I was responding to was your point on how his stats are completely free from subjectivity, which is clearly false.
    don't try and reason with people that don't know what they are talking about... anyone with a rudimentary understanding of these calculations understands your point...

vCash
    Can you prove this?

Obviously they're subjective in regards to what he values and what he doesn't, but they aren't subjective in relation to his preferences between specific teams and specific players. If the are, I'd love to learn.

vCash
    lol, he is an *******

"Killer Instinct"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    Can you prove this?

Obviously they're subjective in regards to what he values and what he doesn't, but they aren't subjective in relation to his preferences between specific teams and specific players. If the are, I'd love to learn.
    if you think that anyone in the league (basketball people) think miami has less than a 6% chance of winning the title then you are delusional...

forget the lakers... that fact alone says his model is flawed

vCash
    In response to maram4prez

Simple... statistics can't prove/predict how one team can turn their season around.

Here's my not so complicated odds for all 30 teams in the NBA to start:

Western Conference and Eastern Conference Playoffs --- a little better than 1:2 or 53%

NBA Championship --- 1:30 or 3%
    Last edited by 8kobe24; 01-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.
    "Tittays"

vCash
    After winning last night's game and seeing that the 8th place team lost, to bring is within 3 games. It really doesn't look as bad as we are making it seem, considering we have over half the season left.
    #Chow!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by handle View Post
    Lakers making the playoffs: 27%
    Winning the championship: 0.2% (Clippers: 19.6%)

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds
    But you obviously think I am stupid for saying that for whatever reason we suck with Dwight this year. Hey it may be for lack of chemistry, it may be for having too many new people on the roster, it may be for a lot of reasons but the fact remains that with the talent we have we should be better than a sub .500 team. I know we can be and I don't give players a free pass based on their laurels. They get paid the big bucks to put out every night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mufridaz View Post
    according to that dallas is under minnesota.

mark cuban already said he's making a trade 100%. and we know with love out 8-10 weeks and the slew of injuries that have plagued minnesota this year they will fall.

so right there doesn't pass the common sense test.

miami only had 5.9 chance of winning chip lol. while okc 27%, spurs 26.1%, and clippers 19.6. now considering miami is best team in the east i would have to say they are at least close to 50/50 to win a chip. especially since they did it last year. that is hilarious by itself 5.9% chance?

we all know the lakers are going to finish over .500. and expect lakers to make some moves maybe big maybe small but moves none the less that will elevate them to at least a playoff birth.

the mavs have made playoffs 12 consecutive years and that was the promise dirk was given to have winning seasons.

not to mention the jazz have to either move millsap or jefferson so they will fall.

and grizzlies have to move gay and/or z-bo.

even portland is above lakers and they will be getting younger as well trying to trade some of their expirings like jj. hickson double double guy.

and we all know houston is a joke parsons can shoot and we all know about the 6th man but what after that? so they will fall. and doubt they make the playoffs.

and denver might get rid of gallanari their leading scorer and maybe wilson chandler. so not sure how they will react to loosing their leading scorer.

all of these are rumors of course. but facts that certain owners either have cap room willing to spend ie mavs or are over the cap and wanting to get under the cap like grizzlies for example.

and golden state in the playoffs? ha that is laughable on its face. ok maybe 7th or 8th. they are a young team and will crack in close games and panic when see playoffs is coming near. i expect their guard to hurt his ankles again. he is always injured.

okc, clippers, spurs (top tier), grizzlies, lakers, denver, utah, and maybe dallas sneaks in there at 8th spot.
    Agree with everything but the Warriors they are for real this year. Don't believe me fine but I live here in the Bay Area and I see the team every game and they are for real I can assure you of this. They are not as good as the Clippers and they have match up problems with certain teams because of no Bogut being there but I assure you they are for real.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast