Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    This Manram guy is gonna fight till his last breath to defend this Hollinger guy.. Its sad to me...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LA4life24/8 View Post
    ^^^^ what Gail said... Hollinger's "stats" are overrated, hes a giant douche, how many times has this guy actually been right? about anything? ... feel bad for grizzlies fans because i have a feeling hollinger is going to **** them, and not even take them out to dinner first
    well, there's last year when he made the most accurate prediction out of anybody. the only person to beat vegas. but you're right, he blows and is always wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinylman View Post
    if you think that anyone in the league (basketball people) think miami has less than a 6% chance of winning the title then you are delusional...

forget the lakers... that fact alone says his model is flawed
    The model doesn't have perfect predicting powers, and he'll be the first to say so. There are a ton of flaws in it...it isn't a human and can't really take into account non-quantifiable factors - like effort, injuries, coaching changes, chemistry and so on. But that isn't a good reason to ignore it. It tells a powerful story, just not the entire story...like almost every stat. It's a tool to use, not a tool to use as an absolute argument.

But his stuff has been consistently proven to be some of the most powerful predictors there are. No model can ever predict anything perfectly in sports; there are too many uncontrollable variables. Based on how Miami has played (and he factors in recent game results, in which the Heat have sucked lately) they certainly haven't played like favorites. Obviously they probably are leaving some effort off the court, but based purely on empirical data, those percentages look right.

But of course there is a lot he can't grasp...and no one thinks these things are absolute predictors with no flaws...despite what the "advanced stats suck" squad will argue. The people that bring up those stats for the most part get that they are just tools to use...and only tell part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by 8kobe24 View Post
    In response to maram4prez

Simple... statistics can't prove/predict how one team can turn their season around.
    We all know this.

I'm only questioning into the conspiracy theorists that seem to be suggesting that his models and algorithms somehow unfairly target the Lakers. I just wanna see someone back it up. Hell, it was coming from one of the best Lakers fans on this site...so I'm doubly confused. His models and algorithms aren't perfect, but they don't involve idiosyncrasies implemented to make sure the Lakers get no love.

He might not like the Lakers, but this type of stuff is completely free of those biases. That's my only point.

Quote Originally Posted by el hidalgo View Post
    well, there's last year when he made the most accurate prediction out of anybody. the only person to beat vegas. but you're right, he blows and is always wrong.
    He doesn't like the Lakers, so therefore even his formulas and models (which, again, should only be used to tell a part of the story) therefore are stupid, idiotic and pointless. That's usually how it works; if I don't like what something is suggesting, I'm just going to call it stupid, ignore it and make fun of it..

Kind of like this guy...

Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    This Manram guy is gonna fight till his last breath to defend this Hollinger guy.. Its sad to me...
    Who, if he had the ability to comprehend things, would see that I'm only defending the fact that this model is free from his "Laker hate", not that this model is incredibly powerful or has the ability to read the future and account for things that aren't quantifiable (like effort).
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash

#FreeCrooner!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

I'm only questioning into the conspiracy theorists that seem to be suggesting that his models and algorithms somehow unfairly target the Lakers. I just wanna see someone back it up. Hell, it was coming from one of the best Lakers fans on this site...so I'm doubly confused. His models and algorithms aren't perfect, but they don't involve idiosyncrasies implemented to make sure the Lakers get no love.

He might not like the Lakers, but this type of stuff is completely free of those biases. That's my only point.
    No sir... that is not what he said... not even close... your inability to comprehend what he said isn't remedied by the above...

You might want to reread your original post he responded to... if you still don't understand i doubt there is any hope you ever will...

again, his response accurately corrected the fallacy in your original post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123