Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Casey on Lowry: "Make the right basketball play!"

It's about ball IQ according to Casey.

We need him in attack mode, but making the right the basketball play,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said Monday in advance of the Raptors’ game on Tuesday in Brooklyn. Lowry missed practice, as he was attending a funeral. “Not forcing the pass, not forcing the shot: just playing basketball.”

As the Raptors struggled, it is clear many people involved with the Raptors, from the coaches to players, grew a bit frustrated with Lowry’s style of play. Lowry, at his best, puts pressure on the defence all by himself, and sometimes that means the ball does not pinball around the offence as it does with Calderon on the floor.

Lowry found a balance in his first two games before the new year, averaging 16.5 points and seven assists. Since then, he has been passive to a fault.

Since he returned to back up Calderon, it has become clearer that Lowry is trying to adapt his game to fit the Raptors’ preferred style of offence. He masterfully found a balance in his first two games before the new year, averaging 16.5 points and seven assists. Since then, he has been passive to a fault, with the exception of a spurt against the Kings when the Raptors could not get anything going. He is averaging just slightly more than five field-goal attempts per game over the last six contests. That statistic is only a bit telling — it is important that Lowry gets into the paint, not that he necessarily shoots — but it hints at a more conservative approach.

“Make the play that is going to help us win. I’m not looking at his numbers,” Casey said. “He has a skill set to attack the basket. But make a basketball play. … Nobody said anything about him making [bad decisions when he took just two shots] in the Portland game, but we won. He made the right basketball decisions. Last time I checked, that’s the most important thing. What play can I make to help this team win?

“Could he be more aggressive? Yeah. But again, you can’t say he should have shot that when he thinks he’s making a basketball play. I think we had a little success with him playing that way. You can’t get over-concerned with one game and just start looking at those numbers. I thought he’s been playing the game the right way and has done a heck of a job of accepting the role coming off of the bench.”
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...y-to-re-adapt/

vCash
    Lowry has been trying to play like Calderon since he came back from the injury. It simply isn't his type of game. Not everyone can master holding on to the ball for 19 seconds like Jose has.

The Raptors have a real conundrum with Lowry; is he a PG capable of making his teammates better or he is simply a scoring PG who occasionally finds players after driving into the lane? I do not know what this team needs more right now.
    Raptors count-up to 36 wins: 34 - 48 || #TankForWiggins
    http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com
    Hey Cashman, fire Girardi and then yourself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaoudS View Post
    Lowry has been trying to play like Calderon since he came back from the injury. It simply isn't his type of game. Not everyone can master holding on to the ball for 19 seconds like Jose has.
    Come on man, you can do way better than that. lol. Calderon is moving the ball better than ever so that cliche about him has to go. In fact that's one of the reasons why their half-court sets are working right now. And Lowry isn't trying to play like Calderon, he's just hesitant where he used to be aggressive. They're not asking any more of him than they would ask any intelligent PG. That's why I bolded in red "basketball decisions". IQ.

The Raptors have a real conundrum with Lowry; is he a PG capable of making his teammates better or he is simply a scoring PG who occasionally finds players after driving into the lane? I do not know what this team needs more right now.
    I think you've nailed it here. I think he's the latter like a lot of players like him. I WANT him to improve his IQ, who wouldn't? But the problem with something like this is how can a player who's been in the league for a few years and played his way through college as a scorer who can also find the open man, suddenly make the leap to the next level.

-------

(And note that I am NOT saying that Calderon is at the next level. If HE was, he'd be able to drive and defend a lot better. So please let's not make this into another PG vs. PG thread.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Come on man, you can do way better than that. lol. Calderon is moving the ball better than ever so that cliche about him has to go. In fact that's one of the reasons why their half-court sets are working right now. And Lowry isn't trying to play like Calderon, he's just hesitant where he used to be aggressive. They're not asking any more of him than they would ask any intelligent PG. That's why I bolded in red "basketball decisions". IQ.

I think you've nailed it here. I think he's the latter like a lot of players like him. I WANT him to improve his IQ, who wouldn't? But the problem with something like this is how can a player who's been in the league for a few years and played his way through college as a scorer who can also find the open man, suddenly make the leap to the next level.

-------

(And note that I am NOT saying that Calderon is at the next level. If HE was, he'd be able to drive and defend a lot better. So please let's not make this into another PG vs. PG thread.)
    That wasn't mean to be a bash on Calderon at all. I am actually appreciative for what he does. He is extremely patient and waits for a moment where a defense lets up for even a fraction of a second, and finds the open man. That is a characteristic that not many PGs in the league have. It was also the reason he was top 5 in assists last year.

Lowry has to play basketball within his means. If he is driving, getting the rim, drawing contact, getting rebounds, playing passing lanes, and being aggressive on D, that is what he should do. He should not be trying to imitate a style that he isn't comfortable yet. At least not during games. Leave that for the summer pick up games, and training camp.

At the end of the day, they both bring different, yet valuable characteristics to the team. I think the Raptors are better for having both of them playing at optimum levels rather than trading one for ***** and giggles.

vCash
    That wasn't mean to be a bash on Calderon at all. I am actually appreciative for what he does. He is extremely patient and waits for a moment where a defense lets up for even a fraction of a second, and finds the open man. That is a characteristic that not many PGs in the league have. It was also the reason he was top 5 in assists last year.

Lowry has to play basketball within his means. If he is driving, getting the rim, drawing contact, getting rebounds, playing passing lanes, and being aggressive on D, that is what he should do. He should not be trying to imitate a style that he isn't comfortable yet. At least not during games. Leave that for the summer pick up games, and training camp.

At the end of the day, they both bring different, yet valuable characteristics to the team. I think the Raptors are better for having both of them playing at optimum levels rather than trading one for ***** and giggles.
    I don't disagree. Within reason Lowry has to play the game that brought him here. Problem is, he still needs to make the right plays. Right now he's way over-compensating. I also find it hard to believe that his solo ball routine during the losing streak was the game that brought him here.

vCash
    I don't disagree. Within reason Lowry has to play the game that brought him here. Problem is, he still needs to make the right plays. Right now he's way over-compensating. I also find it hard to believe that his solo ball routine during the losing streak was the game that brought him here.
    I hope he gets another chance to start in the near future so we can see why he was brought here.

vCash
    I've been saying this. This organization is obsessed with the "Pass-first" PG...they can't let go of Calderon. They need to realize the league is changing and we need an aggressive PG like Lowry running the squad. Lowry is similar to Westbrook in that they may be aggressive to a fault, but they're such good talents that you need to take the bad with the good and live with it. It's mind-boggling that Lowry, a guy we traded a high lotto pick for, is still coming off the bench for a guy that probably won't be here next year...

And this is coming from someone that likes Calderon

vCash
    I hope he gets another chance to start in the near future so we can see why he was brought here.
    I agree. I just want to see him involve his teammates. Pass first, shoot first doesn't matter as much as INCLUDE YOUR TEAMMATES. Make good basketball decisions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    I've been saying this. This organization is obsessed with the "Pass-first" PG...they can't let go of Calderon. They need to realize the league is changing and we need an aggressive PG like Lowry running the squad. Lowry is similar to Westbrook in that they may be aggressive to a fault, but they're such good talents that you need to take the bad with the good and live with it. It's mind-boggling that Lowry, a guy we traded a high lotto pick for, is still coming off the bench for a guy that probably won't be here next year...

I get the feeling they see it as a longer term process with Lowry, and also that they needed to win so the team didn't bottom out worse than it did. We still need to see Lowry play aggressively if we are going to find out if he's the future at the position.

vCash
    I'm so sick of this of this pg controversy. Every year it's the same old shitt.

I look forward to Jose being dealt next month.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post

I am a fan of both of these guys, and like Daouds says above, I think that the Raptors are lucky to have both of them. The problem with what I bolded is that the remaining of the team isn't designed to be successful with a PG that is Agressive etc. We are not talented enough to play a 1 and done style of game, which is Lowry/Westbrook etc's style - attack and either shoot, or dump and shoot. Problem with this style, or at least what we've seen this year so far, is that there are more turnovers, and the the players on the floor cannot transition properly defensively and we give up too many points. I said in another thread, I really could care less who is starting. Whoever is getting the players on the floor involved and creating winning opportunities should play. If that is Lowry great, if that is Calderon great...every game is going to give different scenarios. But Lowry does have to be smarter, not change his game, just be smarter in order to give the other players on the floor a chance in transition. He seems to force his game alot...something that Jose isn't doing right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rego247 View Post

So is the OP. That's why I pointedly made it clear it wasn't about the PG controversy but about Casey and Lowry. There are lots of things to discuss without comparing him to Jose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rego247 View Post

I highly highly doubt he's going anywhere...just my honest opinion...but he's the pg that has the chemistry with the team, and has Ed, Amir, Demar, and Ross all playing at a high level...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapsfanforlife View Post
    I am a fan of both of these guys, and like Daouds says above, I think that the Raptors are lucky to have both of them. The problem with what I bolded is that the remaining of the team isn't designed to be successful with a PG that is Agressive etc. We are not talented enough to play a 1 and done style of game, which is Lowry/Westbrook etc's style - attack and either shoot, or dump and shoot. Problem with this style, or at least what we've seen this year so far, is that there are more turnovers, and the the players on the floor cannot transition properly defensively and we give up too many points. I said in another thread, I really could care less who is starting. Whoever is getting the players on the floor involved and creating winning opportunities should play. If that is Lowry great, if that is Calderon great...every game is going to give different scenarios. But Lowry does have to be smarter, not change his game, just be smarter in order to give the other players on the floor a chance in transition. He seems to force his game alot...something that Jose isn't doing right now.
    Yeah I think Casey pointed out that you can force the pass too.

vCash
    Yeah I think Casey pointed out that you can force the pass too.
    Absolutely. If Lowry can come in and play his game, a bit smarter without forcing, and try to incorporate the others on the team...there is the All Star guard that we thought we were getting. If he continues to force his game...he'll never get off the 2nd string guard status

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast