Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    That just seems to make his comment even more peculiar, in my opinion.
    It's very evident that posters here, on Twitter, and even members of the media let the perceived quality of a front office affect their opinions of moves. If the Rays and the Royals sign the same player for the same price, people would find a way to praise the Rays and bash the Royals. Over the past few months, the two teams in the NL making the most drastic "go for it" moves have been the Nats and the Dodgers. A lot of the Nats moves have been praised while the Dodgers have been bashed, as the Nats have handled their business in a way that fits with the stigma.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    Solid deal for Soriano and deepens the Nats even more. He looks OK for opting out now...

vCash
    What VRP said. I don't even think it's about people necessarily hating on the Dodgers, it's just a clear Front Office bias. Ned does some weird stuff but so do other GMs and you can predict the reaction of internet/twitter/media simply by which Front Office was involved.

vCash
    How did he get so much money?

vCash
    Good move for Sori, got his raise and another year guaranteed. Boras does it again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    How did he get so much money?
    Boras is likely some type of sorcerer. Also, it's been reported that Rizzo and Boras are like BFFs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    It's very evident that posters here, on Twitter, and even members of the media let the perceived quality of a front office affect their opinions of moves. If the Rays and the Royals sign the same player for the same price, people would find a way to praise the Rays and bash the Royals. Over the past few months, the two teams in the NL making the most drastic "go for it" moves have been the Nats and the Dodgers. A lot of the Nats moves have been praised while the Dodgers have been bashed, as the Nats have handled their business in a way that fits with the stigma.
    Who is praising this signing?

I can agree with this premise when it comes to the mainstream internet bashers.

But most of the praise/hatred comes from the moves just being really stupid or good all on their own. You have competent front offices and you have....well less so competent front offices.

The Nationals while an exciting team have made some very questionable signings. This Soriano deal, Werth's deal obviously, and their first LaRoche deal were all very questionable at the time and I don't think many praised the moves.

The Nats aren't afraid of Boras, and he will keep going to them with his free agents. But I don't know that I agree that all of the people on here just react based on the front office that is involved.

This is just a lot of money to pay a guy that is only going to throw what, 120-140 innings at the most? AND it's a draft pick? AND it's a replaceable caliber talent?

vCash
    Damn Soriano has made a ton of money for being a RP

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    horrible contract IMO but he's a great reliever

vCash
    Starters simply do not throw a large quantity of quality innings anymore. The value of late inning arms for that 7-9 frame is going up because of that.

vCash
    holy **** thats a big deal
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I think you might be a little oversensitive about the way people perceive your favorite baseball team. Yes, this signing doesn't seem particularly solid for the Nationals, but I think most people would agree with that regardless of what team gave him this type of contract.

Outside of this, the Nationals recent moves look much better than what the Dodgers have been doing. Plus they are built to win now; overpaying for one guy that they thought they needed (for two years) isn't as ridiculous as if they where in a different position.
    I only used the Dodgers as an example. It annoys me just as much with other teams. Teams with good GM's can seemingly do no wrong.

Coming soon to a TKRO stadium near you

vCash
    A lot of money but a good team just became better...

vCash
    That's a nasty bullpen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VRP723 View Post
    I only used the Dodgers as an example. It annoys me just as much with other teams. Teams with good GM's can seemingly do no wrong.
    You say the perception is that teams with good GM's can seemingly do no wrong, but what would you say are the worst moves Billy Beane, Andrew Friedman or Alex Anthopoulos have done in the past 3 years? Some moves (Mike Napoli for Frank Francisco for example) ended up being bad, but it isn't like those types of move cripple the team for several seasons.

Signing players like Jayson Werth to that ridiculous contract or giving Andre Ethier his stupid extension aren't really done by good GM's. I think each deal tends to get evaluated based on it's own merits, you just see certain GM's criticized more than others because certain GM's make more stupid deals than others.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast