Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    naw that was 4.0, we have 4.2... This is a software upgrade meaning most of the new stuff is handled by the administrator. There a millions of new things for him to mess with now to try improve this forum inside and out. We won't see most of the changes ourselves as users. If you're interested though, visit the official V Bulletin forum and check the release history for each version after 3.8.7. - if you're up for it that is...

vCash
    May 25, 1998 - The Indiana Pacers are in danger of going down 3-1, in the Eastern Conference Finals, to the defending champion Chicago Bulls.

With 2.9 seconds left, the Pacers inbound the ball, down one point, 94-93. Ron Harper guards Reggie Miller underneath the basket. As the play starts, Miller runs through two staggered screens, losing Harper on the first. Michael Jordan notices, then steps in front of Miller to pick him up.
    @LGhost, Like that. It makes sense, but when it's a lengthy piece you're reading it get's annoying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman* View Post
    @LGhost, Like that. It makes sense, but when it's a lengthy piece you're reading it get's annoying.
    Yeah. Italics is the worldwide standard for quoting someone else's words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LGhost View Post
    You mentioned that more changes were coming in a few weeks. Is there going to be a design change? Will the main site be changed as well? New logo?
    I'm not sure about the logo, but there is definitely some changes coming to the main site. New format for the front page, league pages, and team pages. Photos, twitter stuff, etc.

vCash
    ugh Twitter stuff is being integrated?

Is that in reference to main pages or forums? Maybe I'm still in the dark ages but I hate all this social media crap. I don't even have a fb account, I just come here for sports discussion, and a little off topic stuff with the guys I talk sports with.

vCash
    There is a way to get the old layout back very easily, hopefully Content-team keeps contributing to our demands! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    There is a way to get the old layout back very easily, hopefully Content-team keeps contributing to our demands! lol
    There is?

None of the old templates are compatible with vB4, so we had to remake them all. Some of the plugins we had were ancient so I actually had to rewrite bits and pieces of them to keep them functional.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    ugh Twitter stuff is being integrated?

Is that in reference to main pages or forums? Maybe I'm still in the dark ages but I hate all this social media crap. I don't even have a fb account, I just come here for sports discussion, and a little off topic stuff with the guys I talk sports with.
    This is largely in reference to the front page, although I'm not sure quite yet what we'll be doing to refresh the look here to match.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    ...I hate all this social media crap...
    I'm 99.99% sure that forums were the first type of social media that ever existed on the internet

vCash
    hey now, don't go poking holes in my complaints

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by content-team View Post
    There is?

None of the old templates are compatible with vB4, so we had to remake them all. Some of the plugins we had were ancient so I actually had to rewrite bits and pieces of them to keep them functional.
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entr...onversion-Tool

Very easy... content-team do your magic...

vCash
    https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/entr...onversion-Tool

Very easy... content-team do your magic...
    If you'll read the fine print on that tool you'll realize

These are limitations that must be accepted since in an automated process such as this there is no reliable method to guarantee that the style will be usable.
    This is a tool that's built in to vBulletin. What you see here *now* was generated with that tool, and largely corrected to make up for that tools short comings. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've had to make extensive modifications to plugins as well as templates to get this site to even function after the upgrade. This is the reason for the large delay in release - I looked into this upgrade a year ago, and the downtime required to get the site fully upgraded was 3+ days, due to the style, plugin, and (MOST IMPORTANTLY) search re-indexing. Not to mention the upgrade itself took hours and hours before I found some custom database scripts to speed it up.

I know everyone wants the old styles back, but that look and feel just isn't possible with vB4. You can thank digitalpoint's Sphinx search for the upgrade being possible at all.

If you are wondering "But what's this upgrade do for me?", take a look at the footer on the front page. A plugin that is only compatible with vB4 has already stopped 7 spammers from creating accounts today alone. It may not be a magic bullet, but we're trying to make things better.

It also opens up a lot of other things we can use to make this site better. And well also hopefully help with performance issues - 3.8.7 is a long way back from 4.2. It also makes future upgrades more reasonable.

Expect PSD-Team to give a full debrief post in the next little while on the upgrade.

vCash
    I tried.

vCash
    I tried.
    Wasn't trying to shoot you down or anything, I would've kept the look and feel the same if it was possible. Generally with software releases companies have two different types - major and minor releases. Minor releases are generally the parts after the dot. 3.6, 3.7, 3.8... iPhone 3, iPhone 3G, 3GS.

When they do a major release, as vBulletin did with 4 (iPhone 4...), the changes are much larger. We can't have the features of this release without a lot of the style changes we may not like. We're doing our best right now to make the site the best we can, but it can't be exactly what it was before.

You should see vBulletin 5 Connect - it's only in beta right now, but the differences from this version to that are mind boggling; I have no idea how they expect to convince people to upgrade to that version. We already had to buy a license for 4 in order to get the mobile app - an app for which they have a broken upgrade path, that I'm currently talking to support at vBulletin about.

In any case, I really appreciate the effort and suggestion with the style converter. Any suggestions or plugins that can might the site better are always appreciated.

vCash
    I wont give my input until its all done, then.

Born a Knick Live a Knick Die a Knick
    Knicks-Jets-Yanks-Chris Paul-St.Johns-Duke Fan

vCash
    When I saw that my post had been auto-saved, I immediately got a boner. I'm SO tired of losing my posts all the time on this website. Also the spam-o-matic is cool. I know this forum is usually where people go to ***** about stuff they don't like, but I'm here to give my props to those responsible for this upgrade.

"I know one thing for sure; you won't be able to say that Braves fans don't care" Chipper Jones

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast