Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

20 questions: Who debuts in 2013?

20 questions: Who debuts in 2013?

The 2013 season may be an uphill battle for the Mets, but there should be some fun things to watch on the prospect front. Here’s a look at six farmhands who may make their major league debut in 2013 -- headlined by two near-certainties: top prospects Zack Wheeler and Travis d’Arnaud.

Zack Wheeler, rhp. Acquired from the San Francisco Giants for Carlos Beltran on July 28, 2011, Wheeler went a combined 12-8 with a 3.26 ERA between Double-A and Triple-A last season, while recording 148 strikeouts in 149 innings. Wheeler should open the season at Triple-A Las Vegas, perhaps in an Opening Day battery with d’Arnaud. Matt Harvey made his major league debut last July 26. That’s probably the track Wheeler is on for this year, with the Mets rounding out their rotation until then by signing someone of the Chris Young/Carl Pavano ilk.

Travis d’Arnaud, c. John Buck and Anthony Recker likely will serve as the Mets’ early season catchers, but they’re merely placeholders for the 23-year-old d’Arnaud, who was acquired from the Toronto Blue Jays with right-hander Noah Syndergaard and outfielder Wuilmer Becerra for R.A. Dickey. D’Arnaud hit .333 with 16 homers and 52 RBIs in 279 at-bats with Las Vegas to open his first season in Triple-A before partially tearing the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on June 25. He likely will open the season at Triple-A to get more seasoning -- and to delay his free-agency eligibility until after the 2019 season.

Matt den Dekker, cf. If den Dekker batted righty, he might be a more serious threat to break camp with the Mets. While opening the upcoming season, he will work to cut down on his strikeout totals (154 in 533 at-bats in 2012 between Double-A and Triple-A).

Wilmer Flores, 2b/3b. Originally a shortstop, Flores moved off his natural position last season while hitting a combined .300 with 18 homers and 75 RBIs between Class A St. Lucie and Double-A Binghamton. Mets officials say the 21-year-old Venezuelan will stay in the infield, not shift to the outfield.

Darin Gorski, lhp. Added to the 40-man roster to protect him from Rule 5 draft eligibility, Gorski nearly exclusively has been a starting pitcher since being selected in the seventh round in 2009 out of Kutztown (Pa.) University. But with a lack of establish lefties, Terry Collins said Gorski (9-8, 4.00 ERA in 139 2/3 innings with Binghamton in 2012) will get a look in a situational relief role in spring training. Beyond Josh Edgin, and with re-signed Tim Byrdak not going to be available until at least the second half because of shoulder surgery, there is room for Gorski to make a statement. His competition right now: Robert Carson as well as Aaron Laffey and Scott Rice, who signed minor league contracts.

Jack Leathersich, lhp. Edgin made the jump from A-ball to the majors in less than a year, and Leathersich could be on that track as a lefty reliever -- although not for Opening Day. Leathersich, a fifth-round pick from UMass-Lowell in 2011, has struck out a gaudy 139 batters in 84 2/3 innings as a pro. Also watch University of Maryland product Adam Kolarek for lefty relief consideration this year.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Only, Leathersick doesn't debut 2013 on that list. He'll debut in 2014.

I like Mazzoni who has closer potential, Robles and Whitenton as RHPs and Huchinson and Carlos Vasquez LHP over Leathersick for 2013.

vCash
    I don't know, I could see Leathersich on a Josh Edgin path to the big leagues.

He could spend time in AA and AAA before debuting in 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    Only, Leathersick doesn't debut 2013 on that list. He'll debut in 2014.

I like Mazzoni who has closer potential, Robles and Whitenton as RHPs and Huchinson and Carlos Vasquez LHP over Leathersick for 2013.
    I believe that Mazzoni has a better chance to make the big leagues as a reliever than a starter, (based on his good fastball, and lack of good secondary pitches) we have no idea if he has any closer potential.

vCash
    I would guess Tovar and Lagares might also have a chance to debut in 2013. And the real dark horse would be if we get a big come back year from Reese Havens. If Reese doesn't do enough to get a look, he may end up off the roster.

vCash
    Lagares has a very good shot to make his debut because he is a right handed bat, he had a solid season last year at AA and expect he will have a better year in Las Vegas this year. The outfield for the Mets will be a game of musical chairs and Lagares will get his chance.

Havens will also get a shot IMO,I think the Mets will give him a shot to show what he can do, I also feel that Murphy would be a guy who is used as trade bait.

Leathersich is a guy that could get a chance as well specially if he does well at AA.

I also think other pen arms like Armando Rodriguez and Gonzalez Germen are likely to get a shot at some point.

vCash
    Leathersich really sounds interesting. There's nothing like a blow em away fastball pitcher.

vCash
    I think you guys are selling Wilmer Flores too short. I was very impressed with development of his plate discipline last season. Already had great contact skills and is starting to add power.

He may shock a few people with his production when he finally comes up. I seriously think he could be a .280-.290, 20-25 HR type player. Bigtime second baseman. I'd look into moving Murphy+B Prospect to Arizona for Kubel and clear the path for Flores.
    Last edited by numbers-king; 01-15-2013 at 10:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    I think you guys are selling Wilmer Flores too short. I was very impressed with development of his plate discipline last season. Already had great contact skills and is starting to add power.

He may shock a few people with his production when he finally comes up. I seriously think he could be a .280-.290, 20-25 HR type player. Bigtime second baseman. I'd look into moving Murphy to Arizona for Kubel.
    He needs a lot more time at 2nd base.

When Baseball America is giving his speed an evaluation of 20/80, it's gonna be difficult for him to be anything but below average at the position if he can play it at all.

We can say he came up as a SS but he has also matured physically to the point where that position is no longer an option and it really looks like unless he finds a corner INF spot (which he won't) he's gonna be traded.

Love the bat, think he could be an excellent hitting 2nd baseman like you mentioned but i am really not confident he will make the transition defensively.

Havens is gonna get an interesting look this year too. Las Vegas is gonna inflate his stats and posters will probably be screaming in June that he needs to come up if he stays healthy.

Ultimately though like i said i really believe Flores is gone next offseason.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-15-2013 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghool145 View Post
    I agree with alot of what's being said about the Mets potential relief pitchers. There's no reason to throw money at guys right now. It think it's a sneaky good bet that the Mets will have one of the better bullpen's in baseball in 2014 and for the next several years afterwards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    I agree with alot of what's being said about the Mets potential relief pitchers. There's no reason to throw money at guys right now. It think it's a sneaky good bet that the Mets will have one of the better bullpen's in baseball in 2014 and for the next several years afterwards.
    Lol the guy you responded to is a spam-user.

vCash
    Oh . The images are [X]'d out on mine.

vCash
    1. Typically, it takes athletic SS like Joe Morgan and R. Alomar about 6 weeks to make the conversion ot 2nd. Flores would probably not need more than 10-12 weeks to adjust to 2nd including ST. He'd be ready by mid-May. He won't come up until after the ASB. Also, I don't take much stock in BA's analysis. He was a better SS at St. Lucie, a year after Havens, in that he had more range, charged the ball better, made less errors in twice games. My first baseball game was in August 1955. I've seen a lot of slow SS. If Havens can play 2nd so can Flores.

2. Lagares looked like he was decent in CF for the BMets in 2012. Other 2nd, it's the only position where he might be able to start. He may not be ready for CF yet. Due to the fact that the Mets didn't call him up last September, I doubt if he will get a shot out of ST. Unless the Mets acquire a RR bat for CF, the RH CF job is Cowgill's to lose.

3. den Dekker is not ready. He needs to improve his contact rate. I would expect him after the ASB. Valdespin or Nieuwenhuis will be the LH CF.