Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

The future is now for Mets' Harvey

With R.A. Dickey gone, Matt Harvey looks to step up role in NY Mets' starting pitching rotation
    In addition to Harvey, Johan Santana (shoulder) and Dillon Gee (blood clot) are returning, and Jonathon Niese hopes to build on a career-best 13-9 campaign. Zack Wheeler is seen as the eventual fifth starter.

Matt Harvey stands at the forefront of the Mets’ future alongside fellow starting pitcher Zack Wheeler and catcher Travis d’Arnaud, the key prospect acquired in the R.A. Dickey trade earlier this winter.

Harvey also was the first of the new wave of high-end talent to arrive at Citi Field. Despite having just 10 major league starts under his belt, he doesn’t see why that future can’t be accelerated into 2013.

“I feel like we absolutely can do something this year,” Harvey told the Daily News before throwing a brief bullpen session Monday at Citi. “That’s why we all play the game. R.A. will be difficult to replace, obviously. But as players, we’re not looking at this as rebuilding for next year or the year after.

“It’s now, it’s this year, and we feel like we can win and we’re going to do everything we can to play into October.”

Even with Dickey’s storybook run to the Cy Young Award, the Mets were far from postseason contention last season. A nice first-half story under manager Terry Collins devolved into a 74-88 finish, but Harvey’s audition following a midsummer arrival was a legitimate bright spot.

And his two months in the rotation observing the team’s former knuckleballing ace clearly served him well.

“You learn so much from watching a performance like (Dickey’s), regardless of styles,” Harvey said. “You strive to win the Cy Young. You strive to win 20-plus games. Being my first year and getting to see that, you really do get to witness what needs to be done, in terms of preparation and approach, in order for a season like that to happen.”

Harvey, the Mets’ first-round pick (seventh overall) out of North Carolina in 2010, also believes the Mets have a chance for a “tremendous” starting rotation in Dickey’s absence. Johan Santana (shoulder) and Dillon Gee (blood clot) are returning and Jonathon Niese hopes to build on a career-best 13-9 campaign. Wheeler is seen as the eventual fifth starter.

“Man, he’s got some electric stuff,” Harvey said of Wheeler. “I’ve talked to (Triple-A manager) Wally (Backman) quite a bit and he thinks the sky is the limit for Zack.

“It’s fun to think that you possibly can have a starting rotation similar to what the Braves had with (Greg) Maddux, (Tom) Glavine and (John) Smoltz. … That’s what we’re going to strive for, too. (Wheeler) wants to be the best, I want to be the best, and so does every other guy that’s dressing in this clubhouse.”

While Harvey’s 3-5 record for the Mets wasn’t particularly showy, the power righty posted a 2.73 ERA, an impressive 1.15 WHIP and struck out 70 in just 59.1 big-league innings.

“It was good to get some games last year, but I know this is a business and about performance. Nothing’s going to be handed to me,”
    Harvey said. “I want to prove that I belong in the big leagues and prove that I should be one of those top five guys all year.”

Harvey, 23, reached his organization-imposed innings limit of 170 (including 110 in the minors) before he was shut down after tossing seven innings of one-hit, one-run ball against the Phillies on Sept. 19.

“I didn’t want to be shut down, but I understand the reasoning of it,” Harvey says. “I’d like to go into this season with no limits, to let me pitch and try to win every game. As a young pitcher, you look at some of the bigger guys, the (Justin) Verlanders and guys like that, guys who are known as workhorses. That’s someone I expect to be like.”

Thus, the Connecticut product plans to report to Port St. Lucie around Feb. 4, a week ahead of reporting time for pitchers and catchers.

“I thought I was going to be a lot more nervous last year, especially the first (start). But I felt really comfortable, I felt ready and I felt like I belonged,” said Harvey, who struck out 11 Diamondbacks in his major-league debut July 26. “I’m going into this year with a lot of confidence.”
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2I3ca8lnO

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I love the confidence. I wish I could share his thoughts on October baseball for the Mets.

vCash
    Hard not to love Harvey's stuff and makeup albeit in a limited time last year.

I think Harvey is gonna surprise some people this year in how well he pitches.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 12+ wins out of him, a FIP in the mid 3s, and a strikeout per inning.

vCash
    He's a bulldog. I love it.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    He's fat and enjoys to slobbering?

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    You know what I don't love? This new site format. I especially miss the Mets color scheme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    You know what I don't love? This new site format. I especially miss the Mets color scheme.
    Me too

vCash
    New format sucks.

vCash
    Lets Go Mets. #33 I believe
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    New format sucks.
    It's like the theme song for Mets fans
    There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
    But now I think I'm able to carry on
    It's been a long, a long time coming
    But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbO2_077ixs
    I've used this product before. It's fine. Plus the site will be redesigned soon. Skins can be added to it so that you can customize colors. Hopefully they do that.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Can't wait to see Harvey in a full season in the majors. His cholula makes me hotttt!

Hey do you guys think he'll be on or should be on a strict innings count this season?

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    The new format is OK, but I do miss the colors.

Harvey is going to be a beast moving forward.

vCash
    Harvey is a stud
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    I shall pass on your concerns gentlemen.

As I'm not the designer of the site, I am otherwise useless in this matter.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Ahh ur never useless to me buddy
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast