Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI. View Post
    I was fully aware of this, I didn't bring it up because I still don't think it's a big enough sample size. Guess we'll see if Mauro gets AB's this year.
    In the MLB redraft where did we find minor league splits? Because I remember we did so with Rizzo before we drafted him to make sure we didnt need a platoon. If a player has played in the MLB then you cant see them on MiLB.com

vCash
    I think it was Baseball America, but it only shows you the splits for his most recent minor league season.

So, it's still a 1 year sample.

vCash
    The reason Salty hasn't been traded is because he won't be traded. He can play C, 1b, and dh... All 3 are positions with health/talent question marks. He'll be on the team opening day and its more likely Lavarnway isnt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    The reason Salty hasn't been traded is because he won't be traded. He can play C, 1b, and dh... All 3 are positions with health/talent question marks. He'll be on the team opening day and its more likely Lavarnway isnt
    No the reason Saltalamacchia hasnt been traded is because nobody will pay the price they are looking for to deal him away.

vCash
    Salty hadnt been traded because there hasnt been resolution to the Napoli deal. Simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    In the MLB redraft where did we find minor league splits? Because I remember we did so with Rizzo before we drafted him to make sure we didnt need a platoon. If a player has played in the MLB then you cant see them on MiLB.com
    Try MiLB.com

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    Below average hitting DH/1B are not that difficult to obtain. Awful game calling catchers are not that hard to find either. If the Sox were serious about winning, he'd likely be gone. If Salty plays regularly at DH or 1B, than there is no reason for Lavarnway not to be a member of the catching tandem.

Long term Lavarnway will be here and Salty will be gone.

So far to date after signing a contract for a MLB team Lavarnway has well outpaced Salty's progress, and the Sox have 5 more years of control with Lavarnway and just one year with Salty.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    Salty hasn't been traded because there hasn't been a resolution to the Napoli deal. Simple.
    I won't say that that's the one and only reason, but I agree that it's probably a big reason why the Sox are hesitant to move him. But I think that you're on the money that if and after Napoli gets signed, Salty becomes much more expendable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Below average hitting DH/1B are not that difficult to obtain. Awful game calling catchers are not that hard to find either. If the Sox were serious about winning, he'd likely be gone. If Salty plays regularly at DH or 1B, than there is no reason for Lavarnway not to be a member of the catching tandem.

Long term Lavarnway will be here and Salty will be gone.

So far to date after signing a contract for a MLB team Lavarnway has well outpaced Salty's progress, and the Sox have 5 more years of control with Lavarnway and just one year with Salty.
    Completely agree. It's far more likely that Salty hangs around only until a contender has an injury at C. Suggesting that he stays over Lavarnway is also ignoring the reason they signed David Ross.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Completely agree. It's far more likely that Salty hangs around only until a contender has an injury at C. Suggesting that he stays over Lavarnway is also ignoring the reason they signed David Ross.
    Exactly. I think it's clear that the Red Sox are done with letting Salty call games. Our pitching has been a disgrace with him catching and he doesnt make an impact with his offense. We wouldn't have signed a top notch backup if we weren't ready to give young Lavarnway the reigns.

vCash
    I'm not sure they are giving him the reigns because I think Ross will play much more than the normal backup but I do agree with the sentiment that Lavarnway stays and Salty is a goner.

vCash
    What I meant was that they want Lavarnway to succeed and be the catcher of the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI. View Post
    I'm not sure they are giving him the reigns because I think Ross will play much more than the normal backup but I do agree with the sentiment that Lavarnway stays and Salty is a goner.
    I think the issue is when we are talking:

In '13 Ross getting 3/5 and Lavarnway 2/5 is fine. Lavarnway with Salty at 1B, and Gomez or better behind him means that Lavarnway can PH w/o worrying about an injury to Ross being an issue, or visa versa.

In '14, Salty is liable to be gone, and there is plenty of room for Ross and Lavarnway. No serious help from the Minors can be expected earlier than the final stages of '14 at the latest (Swihart).

In '15 it figures to be Lavarnway w/ Swihart as the back-up if he's ready and he's still a C - since Ross's contract is over in '14, and he'll be 38 in March '15. If Swihart isn't ready to go, then another FA catcher.

No matter how you slice it, Lavarnway figures to catch more games over the next 3 years than any other player.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-17-2013 at 06:18 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    In '15 it figures to be Lavarnway w/ Swihart as the back-up if he's ready and he's still a C - since Ross's contract is over in '14, and he'll be 38 in March '15. If Swihart isn't ready to go, then another FA catcher.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Vazquez as the short term backup in 2015, giving more time for Swihart/Weems to develop. Both need to add a lot of mass before they've got the frame for a MLB catcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Vazquez as the short term backup in 2015, giving more time for Swihart/Weems to develop. Both need to add a lot of mass before they've got the frame for a MLB catcher.
    That's sounds right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12