Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

1B - time to decide on 1B for 2013

With all of these Olt/Napoli/Morse threads, let's get it back to 1B.

With the Sox not willing to deal high specs, and the dearth of choices available, I have two options.

1. Sign Napoli - 1 year or more (no comment really needed)

2. Move Salty to 1B

The advantages of Salty at 1B:

• Cheap
    • Taking him from behind the plate is liable to increase his offensive output - works that way for most Catchers
    • He's played 1B in the Majors before (40 games), not a lot, but he's liable to be better than Morse at 1B
    • He'd still be in play as a trade chip for C/1B through the end of the waiver period if we come up with a better option, or the Sox are out of it, and and to cash him in.

Disadvantages:

• Short term solution
    • Not a viable #5 hitter (even if his slash goes up), but a very potent #7 hitter.

Perhaps the reason Salty hasn't been traded is because he's Napoli falling through insurance.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-15-2013 at 08:39 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I like this idea. It would save a bunch of money for a team that won't make the post season anyway.

vCash
    If Naps fall through...

Give Brentz a chance to play 1B. He isn't your dream 900OPS 1B, but if he could just field and hit above .270 and 20HR he's a mid of the pack 1B. Spring training he plays 1B and spend 4-6 weeks in AAA and get a called up.

Salty isn't any better than a low .200BA and 20HR 1B if they went that route.

vCash
    Brentz has serious approach issues that he at least should try to fix before getting called up. I wouldn't expect him here until the end of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    If Naps fall through...

Give Brentz a chance to play 1B. He isn't your dream 900OPS 1B, but if he could just field and hit above .270 and 20HR he's a mid of the pack 1B. Spring training he plays 1B and spend 4-6 weeks in AAA and get a called up.

Brentz isn't a 1B, no reason to play him there when reports are he's an average to above-average defensive OF with a plus arm. If Napoli is a no-go, I'd be fine with Mauro Gomez/Salty at 1B for this year, it's not like we're going to win anything anyways. Mauro has been tearing up the Dominican Winter League, he's raking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AI. View Post
    Brentz isn't a 1B, no reason to play him there when reports are he's an average to above-average defensive OF with a plus arm. If Napoli is a no-go, I'd be fine with a Salty and Mauro Gomez platoon in 1B for this year, it's not like we're going to win anything anyways.
    Players play out of position all the time, especially OF. Salty is a terrible 1B consideration. Also I never recall anyone saying he is above average in the OF.

vCash
    Everything I've read recently suggests that Brentz's defense declined last year and that his arm is his only above average tool.

Morneau, Smoak, or backdoor chance of Ike Davis (Duda hurt though so not too realistic) could come into play again too.

vCash
    Players play out of position all the time, especially OF. Salty is a terrible 1B consideration. Also I never recall anyone saying he is above average in the OF.
    I've read multiple scouting reports that grade him out to be average to above average with the glove and having a plus arm, with 1 certain prospect guru (can't remember who) saying he was below-average. It's one thing to play out of position when you are blocked or flat out suck at your position, in Brentz' case, it's neither. He has a good chance to become our everyday RF in 2014, you keep him there unless his defense declines to a point where he becomes a butcher with the glove, there's always LF (a good position for a slugger).

As for Salty, he might suck at 1B but as Bags has pointed out on multiple occasions, there are other motives that help make the move an easier transition for the team. His offensive output should increase from not having the wear and tear of being an everyday catcher; plus we get him out from behind the plate where he's horrible, both as a game caller and with the glove.

vCash
    If Naps fall through...

Brentz might be a good move after Salty is dealt or in September. But Gomez and Salty seems more solid to me than Brentz.

Every every day catcher wears down. I could see Salty being a .230/.300/.520 hitter being taken away from catcher, which is not bad as a one year option that costs us ~$3.75M and no specs.

I like Morneau a ton, but we won't get away dealing a bunch of chuff for the guy, and he'd cost us $14M in salary unless Minny eats some of that. Minny might as well keep him and deal him at the deadline if he's doing well to a team with an injured or faltering 1B for more than they could get now.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-15-2013 at 01:45 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    If Kalish can get back on his feet he would play RF here for the next few years until his body can't handled it anymore. Brentz could get booted from the OF. Not sure if LF is right for him either. He isn't a good glove from all I read. We absolutely have nothing at the majors or minors for 1B. That could change by making Brentz a 1B.

vCash
    If Brentz can cut his K's down to 18%, which would be insane, then he has my blessing as a 1B. He doesn't have the chops to be an above average 1B IMO.

vCash
    Way too early to tell what we have at 1B in the minors or who will be our future 1B. Too many possible outcomes for the FO to consider moving Brentz. What if Xander needs to be moved to 3B? WMB could slide over to 1B and now you've stunted Brentz' growth (defensively as an OF). 1B is arguably the easiest position to fill, be it internally/externally.

vCash
    I would've liked to see Sands play 1B, but he's gone now. A Salty/Gomez platoon is what I see happening.

vCash
    Everyone who is suggesting a Salty/Gomez platoon at 1B needs to look at their splits. They both only hit RHP. Gomez and Salty both had an OPS under .600 (Salty under .500) vs. LHP. Gomez had a .911 OPS vs RHP which is great. In the Dominican Winter League Gomez has an OPS of .762 vs LHP and .841 vs RHP. They dont make sense as a platoon though.
    Last edited by Nomar; 01-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Everyone who is suggesting a Salty/Gomez platoon at 1B needs to look at their splits. They both only hit RHP. Gomez and Salty both had an OPS under .600 (Salty under .500) vs. LHP. Gomez had a .911 OPS vs RHP which is great. In the Dominican Winter League Gomez has an OPS of .762 vs LHP and .841 vs RHP. They dont make sense as a platoon though.
    I was fully aware of this, I didn't bring it up because I still don't think it's a big enough sample size. Guess we'll see if Mauro gets AB's this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast