Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppyfighter View Post
    Low scoring games like soccer and hockey have a naturally higher chance at upsets. However, despite upsets being easier in soccer out of any other team sport, they have the least amount of parity. This is a class A example of a badly run league.

NBA should have the least amount of variation in their top teams, which it does for the sports that matter, but soccer has less parity and that's frankly embarrassing for soccer.
    Low scoring games like soccer and hockey have a naturally higher chance at upsets. However, despite upsets being easier in soccer out of any other team sport, they have the least amount of parity. This is a class A example of a badly run league.

NBA should have the least amount of variation in their top teams, which it does for the sports that matter, but soccer has less parity and that's frankly embarrassing for soccer.
    That is the dumbest, most absurd thing i have read on this site.

Football has little parity because there are no such thing as salary caps or a Draft, which leads to the Bigger Clubs having all the top players. All the top players want to play for the best clubs, and these clubs can pay the biggest wages. There is also the problem the bigger clubs poaching the smaller clubs top young players and signing their best players (transfers)

The Parity Difference between the NBA and Other Football league isnt as great as you think either.

League/Tournament Winners in last 20 years

NBA - 9 Teams
    EPL - 5 Teams
    Serie A - 8 Teams
    La Liga - 7 Teams
    Champions League/European Cup - 18 Teams

Keep in Mind the amount of teams in the league and the fact that the NBA is built to have parity and its embarrassing that the NBA has not had more variation in winners.

I don't get the easier to cause an upset, cause it a lower scoring game argument. That just means it harder for the weaker teams to score a goal to cause an upset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan = Donkey View Post
    That is the dumbest, most absurd thing i have read on this site.

Football has little parity because there are no such thing as salary caps or a Draft, which leads to the Bigger Clubs having all the top players. All the top players want to play for the best clubs, and these clubs can pay the biggest wages. There is also the problem the bigger clubs poaching the smaller clubs top young players and signing their best players (transfers)

The Parity Difference between the NBA and Other Football league isnt as great as you think either.

League/Tournament Winners in last 20 years

NBA - 9 Teams
    EPL - 5 Teams
    Serie A - 8 Teams
    La Liga - 7 Teams
    Champions League/European Cup - 18 Teams

Keep in Mind the amount of teams in the league and the fact that the NBA is built to have parity and its embarrassing that the NBA has not had more variation in winners.

I don't get the easier to cause an upset, cause it a lower scoring game argument. That just means it harder for the weaker teams to score a goal to cause an upset.
    You don't have a clear grasp of statistics if you don't have an understanding on why upsets are easier in soccer. In basketball there are only five players on the court and there are 100 possession each game on average. More possessions means it is more likely the better team will win the game. It is pretty simple, a larger sample will usually produce the "correct" result. That is why basketball has the least amount of upsets over the sports that matter and hockey the most upsets. Hockey has a ton of random variation it's why we got an eight seed and sixth seed in the NHL finals.

http://www.82games.com/balance.htm

Soccer has the least amount of parity and that is embarrassing even if you don't understand the stats to know why that is embarrassing.

vCash
    You don't have a clear grasp of statistics if you don't have an understanding on why upsets are easier in soccer. In basketball there are only five players on the court and there are 100 possession each game on average. More possessions means it is more likely the better team will win the game. It is pretty simple, a larger sample will usually produce the "correct" result. That is why basketball has the least amount of upsets over the sports that matter and hockey the most upsets. Hockey has a ton of random variation it's why we got an eight seed and sixth seed in the NHL finals.

http://www.82games.com/balance.htm

Soccer has the least amount of parity and that is embarrassing even if you don't understand the stats to know why that is embarrassing.
    I never said Football didn't have the least amount of parity, i said it wasn't as big a difference you were making it out to be compared to the NBA. And giving that the NBA is built for Parity throughout the league its only had 9 winners in the last 20 years.

You were saying it lacked parity because of the 'upset' stat you were going on about. I explained clearly why Football in general lacks parity (the link you posted actually list two points I made).

I get what your saying about the upsets, but the chances of upsets are still very low regardless. That is not the reason Football Leagues lack parity.

vCash
    Yankees

49ers and Patriots

Lakers and Celtics

vCash
    Lakers > Celtics.

Sure Boston has one more ring that then Lakers, but like 80% of those rings were won in the Russell era. Since then, they won what 4-5 championships? The Lakers won 10 since the 80s, including like multiple Finals appearances.

Also, soccer is one of the best sports in the world. Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean its not a good sport.

vCash
    dunno why so many are saying pats for nfl,outside of the run the past 10 years or so run they had with brady/belicheck they've had an un-noteworthy history.its gotta be steelers/cowboys/packers for that sport.for mlb-its yankees and nobody is close;nba-lakers or celtics. overall in american sports it's gotta be the yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Cardinals?
    2nd most ws titles(most in the nl),2nd most pennants,4th in win percentage.they're the closest thing to yanks in the nl ,so there is validity to them being in the convo

vCash
    Man U and its not even close..

vCash
    Actually no its the mighty Blues.. the Carlton Football Club.. my Aussie posters will feel me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torrance View Post
    Manchester United.

It's not a "franchise"

vCash
    the best part of a soccer game is when its over
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    MLB - Yankees
    NBA - Lakers
    NFL - Packers
    NHL - Canadiens

vCash
    Not going on recent sample sizes because I feel the question is supposed to be over a longer stretch.

Yankees/braves/cardinals
    Lakers/spurs/celtics
    Patriots/ravens/steelers

Recently

Rangers/giants/tigers/Yankees/rays/cardinals
    Heat/thunder/grizz/celtics/spurs/lakers
    Giants/pats/steelers/packers/ravens

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    Actually no its the mighty Blues.. the Carlton Football Club.. my Aussie posters will feel me.
    Sydney Swans 2012 AFL Premiers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    It's not a "franchise"
    Club/Franchise same thing. Americans are just weird sometimes.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast