Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    good.. hope everyone will be motivated to play defense...

PLAN B

SIM LEAGUE NETS

vCash

I saw this being reported last night on ESPN and I think it's a very big deal. It finally brings everything on the team into an alignment that might -- might -- lead to sustained success.

Kobe has desperately needed a way to lead this team in an effective manner. Running and gunning wasn't effective because we don't have the right pieces and it plays to all the wrong tendencies among too many of the players on the roster. We need leadership that demands defense, and Kobe can do that.

Emphasizing defense puts Kobe and D12 on the same page in a way they never have been on offense. It brings Metta into the fold, and serves notice to everyone else that that's the basis for team cohesion.

Yes, Kobe will get a little tired, but he can get 20 a night in his sleep. Other than KD nobody scores more easily than Kobe. Not even LeBron.

Even the recent "discovery" of Clark fits this change of approach perfectly. Put Kobe, Clark, D12 and Metta on the floor with Nash and you've got a solid (and strong) defense team that's also capable of scoring from almost anywhere.

Finally, and provided that the team follows through on this, it's a big step forward for D'Antoni's coaching career. He's got the players to play excellent half-court ball and good defense, while still scoring in big waves. If he sees that and embraces it he can reinvent himself -- and I honestly believe that's possible.

vCash
    At least MDA understands that if we don't buckle down and play some defense, we won't have a shot at the playoffs. Maybe it came too late, but lets hope not. Go Lakers!

vCash
    Not only does Kobe need to take a larger role.....So does every one on this team! Including the coaching staff. Hopefully, It will start with Kobe and then trickle down.

vCash
    I personally think Kobe's defense hasn't been great all year because of how much he is doing/trying to do offensively, If he is taking a bigger role Defensively he will need to trust others to have a bigger role Offensively, and when others get the chance offensively they need to make the shot or the extra pass if this team wants to win also EVERYONE on the team should take a bigger role in defense and actually attempt to play it.

[Packers/Lakers Lover]

"If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski

vCash
    Predictably, some of the most bloviating media voices (Stephen A. and Wilbon) are reacting with scathing hostility to the idea of Kobe playing more aggressively on the defensive end. Their take, along with others I've heard, is that Kobe is scoring and being efficient on the offensive end and doing enough at his age, so everybody else should be sucking it up defensively.

I think the consensus on this forum -- which is considerably more well informed -- is that yes, everybody needs to up their defense, but that includes Kobe. And if it's easier for Kobe to play good defense by keying on someone as opposed to playing in a team concept, then that's what the Lakers should do.

Ironically, these blowhards are also painting this like Mike D'Antoni is assigning Kobe this task without any discussion with Kobe. Which strikes me as both laughable and easily disproved if Kobe really does take to the task. (You could assign 'Melo a key defensive assignment every game and he'd blow most of them off.)

Between offense and defense, it's clear now that the Lakers need more defense from everyone, and that they can get by with less offense from Kobe in service of winning games. And yet some of the people who profess to understand basketball the most would prefer that Kobe keep up his scoring and the Lakers continue to lose. Fortunately, I don't think Kobe himself is in that camp.

vCash
    An excellent defensive game by Kobe, he locked down jennings, which few guys in the league can do (especially the way he's been playing lately.

vCash
    I am afraid when Pau comes back that he'll turn this upbeat defense into a lethargic one. I hate his carefree "let me put my hands up and hope the ball comes towards it" defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    An excellent defensive game by Kobe, he locked down jennings, which few guys in the league can do (especially the way he's been playing lately.
    are you serious? the dude shoots 40.8%. he is garbage. he is an undersized guard who can't pass. if locking down jennings is impressive, then you must be easily impressed.

vCash
    "I don't think I've ever seen anybody put that much pressure on a point guard full court for a whole game," Jennings said. "It was probably the best defense somebody's ever played on me since I've been in the league -- just constantly putting pressure on me, touching me, hitting me at all times in the game. He wouldn't let me just catch the ball easy, and I wasn't able to get the ball a lot, so it was pretty difficult."

I think right now we should stick with what is working for the team.

Pau should take minutes of Sacre and from Jamison.
    Playing mostly with Clark and Jamison as a 4 and Pau as a 5.

PF - Clark (21) Pau (17) Jamison (10)
    C - Howard (35) Pau (13)

If we winning by a lot Sacre for 2-3 Min.

Jamison and Clark can also play SF

SF - Metta (30) Clark(8) Jamison (6) Kobe (4)
    SG - Kobe (33) Meeks (8) Morris (7)
    PG - Nash (33) Duhon (10) Morris (5)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123