Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MWP So Far....

vCash

MWP So Far....

I think we all saw that Metta arrived in camp in really good shape this year. I think we've also noticed that he comes to play every night. He may not always make the right play, and sometimes it may be hard to understand the choices he makes on the floor, but he's our steadiest contributor at both ends of the floor, and maybe just as important he's been healthy all year.

What's most surprising to me is that despite the run-and-gun games we've had, and the propensity Metta has for jacking up shots, he's actually shooting .356 from the three-point line this season. Which clearly suggests that he should keep hoisting those shots even when it makes us all wince or go daffy. (He's shooting 5.6 threes a game, which seems crazy -- but if he can hit better than 33.3% there's literally no reason for him to stop.)

When he's not shooting threes Metta is scoring at a .492 FG% [fixed], which might seem pretty bad until you look at his numbers and realize that's his best FG% in the last five years. (After a truly precipitous fall-off last year his three-point FG% has actually bounced back above his career average.)

His rebounds are up as high as they've been in five years, and so is his FT%. In short, the guy has come back in a big way and is taking up a lot of slack on a team that has really been struggling. If we didn't have him we would probably already have gone over the cliff we're teetering on the edge of.

With all the completely absurd and insane stuff that's happening on the team this year, from injuries to new players to personality issues, I think it's been easy to overlook the fact that the guy has become incredibly reliable and one of our least-distracting players. If he can hook up with D12 and Clark I honestly think they can make life hell on other teams -- particularly if they're willing to dish out some hard old-school fouls that make cutters and slashers think twice about driving the lane.

In any case, I think he deserves a round of applause for not giving in to the drama, and not causing any himself. He's been a model citizen and a helluva team player so far.

All stats: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...artesro01.html
    Last edited by GailGoodrich; 01-15-2013 at 11:01 AM.

vCash
    The ULTIMATE jinx thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    The ULTIMATE jinx thread
    I worried about that, but I felt he'd earned the appreciation. Hopefully he won't be walking across the street anywhere near where Pau's driving.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    I think we all saw that Metta arrived in camp in really good shape this year. I think we've also noticed that he comes to play every night. He may not always make the right play, and sometimes it may be hard to understand the choices he makes on the floor, but he's our steadiest contributor at both ends of the floor, and maybe just as important he's been healthy all year.

What's most surprising to me is that despite the run-and-gun games we've had, and the propensity Metta has for jacking up shots, he's actually shooting .356 from the three-point line this season. Which clearly suggests that he should keep hoisting those shots even when it makes us all wince or go daffy. (He's shooting 5.6 threes a game, which seems crazy -- but if he can hit better than 33.3% there's literally no reason for him to stop.)

When he's not shooting threes Metta is scoring at a .421 FG%, which might seem pretty bad until you look at his numbers and realize that's his best FG% in the last five years. (After a truly precipitous fall-off last year his three-point FG% has actually bounced back above his career average.)

His rebounds are up as high as they've been in five years, and so is his FT%. In short, the guy has come back in a big way and is taking up a lot of slack on a team that has really been struggling. If we didn't have him we would probably already have gone over the cliff we're teetering on the edge of.

With all the completely absurd and insane stuff that's happening on the team this year, from injuries to new players to personality issues, I think it's been easy to overlook the fact that the guy has become incredibly reliable and one of our least-distracting players. If he can hook up with D12 and Clark I honestly think they can make life hell on other teams -- particularly if they're willing to dish out some hard old-school fouls that make cutters and slashers think twice about driving the lane.

In any case, I think he deserves a round of applause for not giving in to the drama, and not causing any himself. He's been a model citizen and a helluva team player so far.

All stats: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...artesro01.html
    I heard that he is playing actually injure!
    The future?

vCash
    Yeah, he has been battling a groin injury recently

vCash
    Metta and Pau=FIN
    This is all very funny.

vCash
    earl clark is better then ron no joke
    This is all very funny.

vCash
    He's playing well, I would like to see him in the post a little more though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    When he's not shooting threes Metta is scoring at a .492 FG%, which might seem pretty bad until you look at his numbers and realize that's his best FG% in the last five years. (After a truly precipitous fall-off last year his three-point FG% has actually bounced back above his career average.)
    ^^ Fixed.

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA

vCash
    He needs to be a PF. He has problems guarding on the perimeter... although he's still probably our best perimeter defender lol

Seems like he's just better at that spot though

Wiggins-Mobile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    He needs to be a PF. He has problems guarding on the perimeter... although he's still probably our best perimeter defender lol

Seems like he's just better at that spot though
    He's too small to play the PF..... Team Artest up with Earl Clark and Dwight and our starting front court is now fast, aggressive and tough. We just need to find a young PG and a new coach and this team is good to go
    http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss17/duanevalle/1950Rams2.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavacano View Post
    ^^ Fixed.
    Thanks for catching that -- it didn't seem right when I posted it but I was tired.

(The previous number obviously included Metta's three-point percentage in the overall number, thus dragging it down considerably.)

vCash
    Almost any other player in the league at Ron's height would indeed be too small to play PF. But Ron is freakishly strong, and can root almost anyone out of the post. He doesn't have the speed any more to play with the best SF's, and since that's where a lot of scoring comes from in the league these days it's almost a double liability to ask him to take on those players. Putting him up against a PF also keeps him closer to the rim, which helps us because he's a pretty good rebounder as well.

vCash
    Ron looks out of place wen he tries to create is own shot, especially with the starters. And to b honest, he may be the best on ball stealer, but our best perimeter defender is ebanks. He has ben for a while. He doesnt get the mins to prove it. (Like earl clark) start ebanks and let him blend in on offense under kobe, howard and nash, while he shines on defense. Even with kobe guarding the best player, he cant guard durant or lebron. Nether can ron. Ebanks gives us the most on the defensive end....on the perimeter.

vCash
    AMAZING to me that in addition to 4 sure hall of famers, MWP (who just may be an HOF in his own right) is having a GREAT season, and yet inexplicably this team can't break 500.
    While everyone drools over Lebron, and ponders about who is the greatest ever, how about you come with a performance like this, when playing out of position (substituting for Kareem at center), game 6 in the finals, to win the championship, during your ROOKIE season. When you do that, come talk to me.

Magic, the greatest of all time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast