Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    Nothing suggest that he will be better than Thole as of now and if he has more power it will not be much more.

    Once again they both hit 5 homers as 21 year old's and is not like Thole was playing in the CAL or PCL, the FSL is just as pitching friendly as the SAL.

    The point is that as of now he profiles as a back up catcher and is not like his defense will get him a chance to become a major leaguer, so he better keep hitting .300 and show more power to make it to the majors.

    The Mets have a few guys who are better defensive who may get a shot to be the back ups in the future in Centeno, Cordero(who had a horrible year), Forsythe and Plawecki

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,573
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Nothing suggest that he will be better than Thole as of now and if he has more power it will not be much more.

    Once again they both hit 5 homers as 21 year old's and is not like Thole was playing in the CAL or PCL, the FSL is just as pitching friendly as the SAL.

    The point is that as of now he profiles as a back up catcher and is not like his defense will get him a chance to become a major leaguer, so he better keep hitting .300 and show more power to make it to the majors.

    The Mets have a few guys who are better defensive who may get a shot to be the back ups in the future in Centeno, Cordero(who had a horrible year), Forsythe and Plawecki
    I think he has better extension on his swing and doesn't slap at the ball like Thole does.

    Comparing what they did at the same age isn't that helpful because they were at different levels. Grayson Stadium is an extreme pitcher's park, and Maron was able to hit 3 HR there. Thole had 0.

    I think when it's all said and done, I think Maron can hit something like .280/.350/.380

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    Thole did what he did at a higher level dude against better pitching and again is not like the Mets park in St. Lucie is hitter friendly. Is a pitchers park as well. The fact that Thole did what he did at a higher level is of more importance than Maron hitting 3 homers in Grayson field.

    ...and what did Thole did before he had an awful year in 2012 his hit .276/.350/.356 and he was a guy that did not K much and walked a healthy amount of the time, Maron k's more and his k rates have gone up as he has moved up the ladder, so odds are that he may not hit .280, but more around .250, though his OBP would be pretty good and around .350 if he kept those high walk rates. Even if he hits for a bit more pop is not much of a difference than Thole. Hence he profiles to be like Thole, he may even have a horrible year or 2 like Thole had in 2012 here and there.

    He profiles as a back up with his bat and lacks the defense of a back up catcher, given the other guys I mention are much better in defense he has his work cut out for him going forward specially now that the Mets have a legitimate starting catching prospect.

    Oh and BTW I like Maron and have him in the top 30 Mets prospects if I recall right and I also have defended Thole on here because imo this season was more of an aberration than a true indicator of what he can do in the majors. IMO Thole can be a guys that constantly post OPS around .700, I think the Mets **** him over trying to make him more of a power threat, but am being realistic here with Maron chances at the majors.

    Thole made the majors because the Mets just lacked any catching talent in their system, Maron has a lot more guys to deal with, so he may never even get that chance unless he continues to hit and improves his defense.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,573
    vCash
    1500
    What about Cesar Puello? He hit 1 HR in Savannah, and then he hit 10 in St. Lucie. den Dekker hit 0 HR in his short stint in Savannah, then hit 17 the next year. Vaughn hit 4 HR in Savannah, and then 9 and 23 in St. Lucie. This seems to be a trend, as we all know Savannah is very tough on hitters.

    Thole's career high in HR came that season as he followed up with a grand total of 1 HR the next year in Binghamton. Personally, I don't think 1 year is that big of a difference, so I see Maron being better than Thole with the bat moving forward. I think he's got a compact, line drive swing.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    There are examples of other guys not hitting that many more homers as they went from that league to the other.

    Marte hit 6 and 6 for Savannah and then 7 for St. Lucie.

    Flores hit 3 in his 1st stint in Savannah. He then hit 7 in 277 at bats for savannah and that same year moved up and hit just 4 for St. Lucie and had 277 at bats there as well. The next year only hit 9 there as well in the FSL.

    Aderlin Rodriguez hit 16 last year in Savannah in 318 at bats, then 8 in St. Lucie in 153 at bats. If you extend that over 300 at bats like he had in Savannah he would have hit around 16 homers.

    T.J. Rivera hot 8 homers for Savannah in 261 at bats, then went on to hit 1 homer for St. Lucie in 255 at bats. That is a huge drop off.

    The place were you start seeing a big difference is from high A to AA because the Eastern League is much more hitter friendly.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,573
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    There are examples of other guys not hitting that many more homers as they went from that league to the other.

    Marte hit 6 and 6 for Savannah and then 7 for St. Lucie.

    Flores hit 3 in his 1st stint in Savannah. He then hit 7 in 277 at bats for savannah and that same year moved up and hit just 4 for St. Lucie and had 277 at bats there as well. The next year only hit 9 there as well in the FSL.

    Aderlin Rodriguez hit 16 last year in Savannah in 318 at bats, then 8 in St. Lucie in 153 at bats. If you extend that over 300 at bats like he had in Savannah he would have hit around 16 homers.

    T.J. Rivera hot 8 homers for Savannah in 261 at bats, then went on to hit 1 homer for St. Lucie in 255 at bats. That is a huge drop off.

    The place were you start seeing a big difference is from high A to AA because the Eastern League is much more hitter friendly.
    The only guy there who saw a drop-off was Rivera, but I think he was a little bit of a fluke personally. I still think that Maron has more power than Thole, we will see how he does next year.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    Nope Flores went from 7 to 4 and had the same amount of at bats at both places. Point is that both places are pitching friendly period, so to try and say that Maron hitting 5 homers in Savannah is more impressive than Thole doing it at a higher level in a similar pitching friendly league is silly.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,573
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Nope Flores went from 7 to 4 and had the same amount of at bats at both places. Point is that both places are pitching friendly period, so to try and say that Maron hitting 5 homers in Savannah is more impressive than Thole doing it at a higher level in a similar pitching friendly league is silly.
    Flores was very young and was an enigma, so anything he did doesn't really count. Thole never hit HR anywhere except for that one year in St. Lucie, suggesting he has no power and got lucky.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    lol, he does not count yet you throw Puello into the mix a guy who has been a bigger enigma than all other Mets prospects.

    I get it, when your point has been proven wrong you grasp at straws and thy to throw facts out the window and only put value at what things you say. If there is a trend I noticed is just that, that when you believe something you will only value the facts that favor your argument and ignore and throw away all other facts as flukes.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Thole had no tools whatsoever and from day 1 that was obvious.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,573
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    lol, he does not count yet you throw Puello into the mix a guy who has been a bigger enigma than all other Mets prospects.

    I get it, when your point has been proven wrong you grasp at straws and thy to throw facts out the window and only put value at what things you say. If there is a trend I noticed is just that, that when you believe something you will only value the facts that favor your argument and ignore and throw away all other facts as flukes.
    He hit 7 HR after repeating Savannah a 2nd season. He hit 4 HR in St. Lucie, but he also hit .300 and was just 18 years old. Was he supposed to just keep mashing? That was only a half-season so maybe he tired on at the end.

    Both Puello and Flores struggled power-wise on their jump from Kingsport.

    I don't know why you are discounting the fact that Savannah plays in an extreme pitcher's ballpark.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    Thole could hit for average and draw walks, that was his value coming up in the minors and in his first couple of years in the majors, so far Maron has similar value.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He hit 7 HR after repeating Savannah a 2nd season. He hit 4 HR in St. Lucie, but he also hit .300 and was just 18 years old. Was he supposed to just keep mashing? That was only a half-season so maybe he tired on at the end.

    Both Puello and Flores struggled power-wise on their jump from Kingsport.

    I don't know why you are discounting the fact that Savannah plays in an extreme pitcher's ballpark.
    I am not discounting anything, you are the one that has said forget this forget that. I said BOTH places are pitching friendly. Your the one trying to prove your point by bringing in singular player who have hit more homers in a place to prove your point, I showed that in fact your thinking that that makes it a trend is false because other players have hit less going from that league to the other and others have hit similar amounts.

    Then you come up with nothing else but to say forget what they did, dismiss it because you say so, because it proves everything you just said to be wrong.

    To put it plainly for you to get it.

    BOTH THE FSL AND SAL ARE PITCHING FRIENDLY LEAGUES AND BOTH PLACES ARE LIKELY TO SUPPRESS THE POWER NUMBERS OF BATTERS THAT PLAY IN THEM. JUST BECAUSE ONE GUY MAY HIT MORE HOMERS IN ONE LEAGUE THAN THE OTHER DOES NOT MAKE HIM A GUY WHO HAS MORE POWER THAN A GUY WHO DID THE SAME EXCEPT ON THE OPPOSITE LEAGUE.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    50,573
    vCash
    1500
    lol why are you mad for?

    I gave you more cases where hitters struggled with power in Savannah compared to St. Lucie so I'll continue to believe that it's harder to hit HR in Savannah. The only guy who had a massive drop-off was Rivera, and he was old for the SAL. Both Marte and Flores repeated Savannah, as did Aderlin.

    In fact, Flores, Puello, and Aderlin all struggled power-wise in Savannah coming from Kingsport.

    Yes, both the SAL and FSL are pitching friendly, but Grayson Stadium is like the Petco Park of the SAL. Digital Domain Park is not at that level.

    Another example of someone hitting for better power in St. Lucie than Savannah is Gilbert Gomez.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    77,511
    vCash
    1500
    Nobody is mad, but you seem to not be able to grasp what others are saying because you are holding onto you facts for dear life and ignore, dismiss, and throw out fact that prove your point wrong, so I have to put in in caps to show you that.

    Kingsport and the Appy League is one of the most hitting friendly leagues in the minors, just about any player going from there to long season ball will have issues. Look at all the guys who did well there in 2011 and went to Savannah, Pron and a couple of other had issues.

    ...but there in your answer say it all, YOU BELIEVE THAT IS HARDER TO HIT HOMERS IN THE SAL, THAN FSL. Hence you will keep ignoring facts that suggest otherwise, so there is nothing more to be said from your perspective.

    ...and now you want to add Gomez into the mix a guy that had 75 at bats in the FSL to try and prove your point. 75 at bats? really 75 at bats? does the SSS mean anything to you?

    again grasping at straws.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •