Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    ...and again Parnell had a fastball that average almost 97 mph and as of now I cant say that Mazzoni will average anything close to that. If he is used as a pen arm he may average 94 mph if that, he may hit 97, but Parnell hit 101 3-4 MPH is a huge difference and it has taken Parnell a cup of coffee and another year of some 88 IP to become somewhat effective in the majors. If Mazzoni is put in the majors now expect him to get smacked around, at times being wild helps a guy more than having better command.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    ...and again Parnell had a fastball that average almost 97 mph and as of now I cant say that Mazzoni will average anything close to that. If he is used as a pen arm he may average 94 mph if that, he may hit 97, but Parnell hit 101 3-4 MPH is a huge difference and it has taken Parnell a cup of coffee and another year of some 88 IP to become somewhat effective in the majors. If Mazzoni is put in the majors now expect him to get smacked around, at times being wild helps a guy more than having better command.
    See also Duren, Ryne; Ryan, Nolan (when young) and Koufax, Sandy (especially when young).

vCash
    Meaning of course, good, on-point post Sick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think Mazzoni could help right now as a pen arm.
    When the Mets promoted Mazzoni to AA, the Mets had him throw mostly spl. FB, while not using his CB and CU very much. This is what you do when you a pitcher to pitch a lot of IPs, but are preparing the pitcher as a RP. CM got hit hard at AA because he was getting the splitter up in the K-zone and AA hitters didn't miss it. He clearly would have pitched better at AA, if he used the CB and CU more.

In 2011, he pitched out of the bullpen for Brooklyn, CM threw his FB at 95-97 mph with limited movement, but excellent location, SL was near plus pitch. The Mets must think he needs a 3rd pitch. He'll be ready as soon as he is able to keep his splitter down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post
    When the Mets promoted Mazzoni to AA, the Mets had him throw mostly spl. FB, while not using his CB and CU very much. This is what you do when you a pitcher to pitch a lot of IPs, but are preparing the pitcher as a RP. CM got hit hard at AA because he was getting the splitter up in the K-zone and AA hitters didn't miss it. He clearly would have pitched better at AA, if he used the CB and CU more.

In 2011, he pitched out of the bullpen for Brooklyn, CM threw his FB at 95-97 mph with limited movement, but excellent location, SL was near plus pitch. The Mets must think he needs a 3rd pitch. He'll be ready as soon as he is able to keep his splitter down.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. From the little video I've seen of him, I like his athletic delivery and fastball command. I also thought his breaking ball looked pretty good.

vCash
    I can't wait for baseball season. Spring training is my favorite time of year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Valde would be a beast, just has to improve plate discipline

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandre302 View Post

You like to use abbreviations, don't you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    YIGS.

(Yes, I guess so)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    YIGS.

(Yes, I guess so)

vCash
    First, the reason why Mazzoni was hit in AA was he wasn't using the entire repertoire because the Mets are moving him to the bullpen. He was throwing mainly FB, SL snd splitters and he was getting the splitter up and AA hitters weren't missing it. He didn't throw CB or CU very much.

Second, Parnell is hittable because he has zero deception. He releases the FB from a high release point and SL from a low release point, so hitters only need to know the release point of each pitch and they know what he is throwing before it leaves his hand. He is better when he combines the knuckle CB because he releases the Kn CB from a similar release point as the FB. Thus, he's always better when uses 3 or 4 pitches. He has deception.

Mazzone mixes his pitches, throwing FB and SL from a low release point, and FB, SL and splitter from a high release point. CM also locates his FB and SL better than RP does. But, the key is CM has more deception. He will be ready for a bullpen role when he gets the splitter consistently near the knees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12