Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Mets invite 5 prospects to Spring Training

The Mets have invited right-handers Rafael Montero and Cory Mazzoni, catcher Juan Centeno, infielder Josh Satin and outfielder Matt den Dekker to major league camp for spring training.

Players on the 40-man roster automatically are in camp. Those prospects include Zack Wheeler, Travis d'Arnaud, Gonzalez Germen, Darin Gorski, Hansel Robles, Wilmer Flores, Zach Lutz, Wilfredo Tovar and Juan Lagares.

Here are the Mets-produced capsules on the five invites:

Montero, 22, went a combined 11-5 with a 2.36 ERA (32 earned runs/122.0 innings) and 110 strikeouts in 20 starts for Savannah (A) of the South Atlantic League and St. Lucie (A) of the Florida State League. The 6-foot-2, 168-pound native of San Cristobal, Dominican Republic, went 6-3 with a 2.52 ERA (20 earned runs/71.1 innings) in 12 starts for the Sand Gnats and 5-2 with a 2.13 ERA (12 earned runs/50.2 innings) for St. Lucie. The Mets signed the right-hander as a non-drafted free agent in 2011.

Mazzoni, 23, split last season between St. Lucie and Binghamton (AA) of the Eastern League, making a combined 26 starts and earning a spot on the midseason Florida State League All-Star team. The 6-1, 190-pound native of Evans City, Pa., went 10-6 and compiled a 3.93 ERA (63 earned runs/144.1 innings) with 104 strikeouts and 36 walks. The Mets selected the right-hander in the second round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.

Centeno, 23, hit .285 (80-281) with 12 doubles and 35 RBIs in 79 games for Binghamton last season. The 5-9, 172-pound native of Arecibo, Puerto Rico, made his pro debut in 2007 with the Gulf Coast Mets. The Mets selected Centeno, who bats lefty and throws righty, in the 27th round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft.

Satin, 28, had one at-bat with the Mets last season, striking out in his only major league action. He spent the remainder of the season with Buffalo (AAA) of the International League, hitting .286 (126-441) with 14 home runs and 60 RBIs in 131 games. The 6-2, 200-pound native of Hidden Hills, Calif., made his major league debut in 2011, hitting .200 (5-25) in 15 games with the Mets. The club selected Satin, who throws and bats righty, in the sixth round of the 2008 First-Year Player Draft.

Den Dekker, 25, appeared in 135 games between Binghamton and Buffalo last season, hitting .274 (146-533) with a career high-tying 17 home runs and 76 RBIs. The 6-1, 205-pound native of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., who bats and throws lefty, hit two grand slams with the Bisons: Aug. 6 at Syracuse and Aug. 14 vs. Lehigh Valley. The Mets selected the outfielder in the fifth round of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

vCash
    I put this on the other thread, dD is a guy that might get significant time in ST because of the Mets outfield situation.

Montero is getting rewarded for what he has done the last couple of years.

Mazzoni still needs more seasoning, but he is a guy that may see time as a pen arm.

Centeno is a guy the organizations likes as a defensive catcher and how he handles the staff, I think he could be a nice back up in the future.

Satin well he just has not gotten a real chance, not that he has done anything in his limited time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    I put this on the other thread, dD is a guy that might get significant time in ST because of the Mets outfield situation.

Montero is getting rewarded for what he has done the last couple of years.

Mazzoni still needs more seasoning, but he is a guy that may see time as a pen arm.

Centeno is a guy the organizations likes as a defensive catcher and how he handles the staff, I think he could be a nice back up in the future.

Satin well he just has not gotten a real chance, not that he has done anything in his limited time.
    Not a big fan of dD but the beauty of the Mets outfield situation is that they'll be holding open tryouts. And when that happens, you never know who's going to step up to the plate, as it were.

Maybe dD will prove me wrong once he gets the opportunity.

On the other hand, Josh Satin is a waste of time.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I think Mazzoni could help right now as a pen arm.

vCash
    I put this in the other thread as well, but this deserves mentioning considering he is the X-Factor in the Mets outfield situation as of now.

Adam Rubin @AdamRubinESPN
    RT @enrique_rojas1: In semifinal Valdespin is BURNING w/ #Escogido: .448 (26 for 58) with 5H2 9SB 9R 8Rbis. Hit in all 15 games, inc tonight

His line before the playoff was .280/.402/.398/.800, 3 HR, 7 RBI, 2 2b, 2 SB, 18 BB, 15 K

Valdespin has shown good power already as a pro, better plate discipline is welcome development.

vCash
    Will Valdespin get some starts in the OF? I believe he played their briefly last year but I know he is a 2B/SS by trade. I'd like him in the lineup.

vCash
    He mostly played the outfield last year for the Mets, very little time at 2nd and just about 2 games at SS.

vCash
    What's the significance of being "invited to spring training?" I always thought most of the minor leaguers are there just working out in the minor league area and would mingle with the main players for split squads and various practice sessions.

vCash
    I'm intriuged by Valdespin still, I want him to play, but I think Baxter can be a 2-3 fWAR player if he plays everyday against RHP. Duda is the guy who I wish was just gone already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I think Mazzoni could help right now as a pen arm.
    I agree, and I don't see how this guy breaks through the wall of talent in starting pitchers in front of him.

They should move him to the pen now, and see what he can do. He has little room to develop more in the minors at this point.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I don't think Mazzoni could help now, AA hitters did alright off him, major leaguers will kill him.

I also think if this happens again he will be moved to the pen as soon as mid season.

vCash
    I don't think Mazzoni could help now, AA hitters did alright off him, major leaguers will kill him.

I also think if this happens again he will be moved to the pen as soon as mid season.
    Bobby Parnell at 23 in AA 2008: 8.9 H/9, 4.0 BB/9, 6.4 K/9, 1.0 HR/9, 4.30 ERA
    Cory Mazzoni at 22 in AA 2012: 10.0 H/9, 2.2 BB/9, 6.2 K/9, 1.0 HR/9, 4.46 ERA.

Now Parnell is arguably our best pen arm. Mazzoni has shown a fastball up to 95-96 MPH, so I think that he would thrive being used in short bursts.

vCash
    Parnell's has a plus plus fastball that hits triple digits and I think his wildness helped him at times and yet he is very hitable, Mazzoni is even more hitable than Parnell.

vCash
    Parnell's has a plus plus fastball that hits triple digits and I think his wildness helped him at times and yet he is very hitable, Mazzoni is even more hitable than Parnell.
    In short bursts, I think Mazzoni would be less hittable. His secondaries and command were ahead of Parnell's.

vCash
    Matt den Dekker is going to be 30 before we know it, and he'll never play a game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast