Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NBA scouts: "This is the year to trade your draft pick, no matter where it is"

The 2012 NBA draft was good, not great.

It had one can’t-miss prospect (New Orleans big man Anthony Davis), another quick-emerging star (Portland point guard Damian Lillard) and a bunch of guys who’ll be solid contributors with lengthy careers.

If two NBA scouts who travel the country each college basketball season are right, the 2013 draft won’t come close to that.

The Observer consulted with two long-time scouts (neither connected to the Charlotte Bobcats) as conference seasons commence in the college game. Each works for a team likely to have a top-10 pick. Each spoke on condition of anonymity because neither is authorized by his employer to speak publicly on draft prospects.

While the two conversations were separate, each conveyed the same conclusion: This isn’t the year a franchise-changer will emerge from the draft process

“I don’t think this is a good draft,” said one scout. “This is the year you should consider trading your draft pick – no matter where it is.”

“The draft lottery was always supposed to be about exceptional players going to the worst teams,” said one of the scouts. “We’ve eroded the concept of ‘exceptional’ – exceptional doesn’t really exist anymore.”

Both scouts say that erosion can be traced to the so-called “one-and-done” rule that governs draft eligibility. Under the collective-bargaining agreement, U.S. players can’t be in the draft until they’re at least one season removed from their high school graduating class.

The unintended consequence of that, these scouts say, is players with pro aspirations now consider one season of college ball the maximum they should stay.

“Now they think one season is the ceiling, not just the floor,” one scout said. “That creates a problem.”

That’s what we all do,” the scout concluded. “We draft guys who are a lot like the ones we already have, only the guys we already have are better at least right now.

“But these guys are younger, so we get excited in the moment. And then you come to realize you haven’t changed much with your high pick.”
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...e-bobcats.html

vCash
    tristan thompson?

vCash
    Ive been telling everyone this but i think some gems might come out of this draft though .

vCash
    It will be deep with role players but no superstars.

vCash
    They should let HS players be eligible again or make it 2yrs of college before declaring for the draft.

AAL: Joesph Fauria
    YRDs: 46
    TDs:
    Cool TD Dances: ∞

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    If Waddle doesn't get the starting gig I'm outta here. I will never post again.

vCash
    every draft on every single year there is always 2-4 players who's going to make a name for themselves.

I Love My Team. I Love My City.
    We Are The KnicksTape.

vCash

NBA scouts: "This is the year to tade your draft pick, no matter where it is"

Wouldn't surprise me to not have a superstar this draft but mclemore and shabazz look damn good and Michael carter Williams will be a real good pg ala rondo IMO

AAP: Kim English

vCash
    Trey Burke looks like he will be solid

vCash
    They don't sound like very successful scouts.

vCash
    they should go back to force them to either play the full 4 years at ncaa, or play 4 full years of PRO basketball abroad ( mainly for the europeans).

They quality of the league will go up, the number of busts ( specially euro busts) will go down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J4KOP99 View Post
    Trey Burke looks like he will be solid
    I agree

vCash
    Mitroic would have been a top 5 pick this year but lucky The Bulls got him last year , what a steal ^_^

vCash
    Well, as a raptors fan i'm very happy to hear this however most players establish themselves during the ncaa tournament.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    they should go back to force them to either play the full 4 years at ncaa, or play 4 full years of PRO basketball abroad ( mainly for the europeans).

They quality of the league will go up, the number of busts ( specially euro busts) will go down.
    That was never a rule in the NBA, teams just preferred upperclassmen who had proven themselves a bit. Teams are so anxious to draft "the next big thing" these days that they blew a bunch of lottery picks on overhyped highschoolers, which is why the one and done rule was put into effect. Teams had to be protected from themselves.

It's one thing to say that a guy who's 17 shouldn't be allowed to decide to go pro when he graduates, it's another to tell a 21 year old he HAS to stay in school another year and risk injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    That was never a rule in the NBA, teams just preferred upperclassmen who had proven themselves a bit. Teams are so anxious to draft "the next big thing" these days that they blew a bunch of lottery picks on overhyped highschoolers, which is why the one and done rule was put into effect. Teams had to be protected from themselves.

It's one thing to say that a guy who's 17 shouldn't be allowed to decide to go pro when he graduates, it's another to tell a 21 year old he HAS to stay in school another year and risk injury.
    ...mainly teams that were/are run by Michael Jordan.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast