Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500

    Homemade Raviolis baby

    Got a nice pasta maker for X-Mas a couple years ago, and recently started getting into making my own pasta and raviolis.

    Anybody have any experience with this?

    Any weird or unique ravioli combos you've had that I can make?

    Sorry for the random thread lol

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    37,541
    vCash
    1500
    God. Love ravioli's.

    My aunt does a usual beef ravioli with marinara sauce. It never fails.

    Also, the best ravioli I've ever had was an osso buco (slow cooked veal in a wine sauce) with garlic/lemon ricotta filling. Holy ****, got it in NY, and nothing will ever beat it!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,278
    vCash
    1500
    Love love love ravioli. Almost ANYTHING works inside a ravioli. You gotta share some pics of what youve made.

    Butternut squash is good in them.
    Artichoke hearts mashed up with ricotta
    Arugula and ricotta
    Lobster
    roasted Portabello mushrooms (process into a mash type consistency).
    Eggplant and roasted garlic

    Mixing up some cheeses with ricotta is nice. Parmesean, Asiago, Caciocavallo, Provolone, mascarpone, Romano.....ok anything Italian.

    It's good making them fresh at home. If the pasta comes out as good as it should, you don't need any kind of sauce (which just distracts from the pasta). Just a little olive oil.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    23,070
    vCash
    1000
    Lobster ravioli has to be one of my favorite foods out there. Absolutely to die for

    | .372 AVG | 0 HR | 2 RBI | 6 SB | .438 OBP | .442 SLG | .394 wOBA |

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,179
    vCash
    1500
    i've only done it once, and it was awesome

    i took fresh mooz, prosciutto, olive tapenade and a little ricotta to add a creamier texture... mixed it together in the food processor and stuffed it in whole wheat ravioli my dad had made (he's vegan, so obviously he didn't try this concoction).

    put some homemade red sauce and some chopped basil over it. F'ING AWESOME!
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,278
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i've only done it once, and it was awesome

    i took fresh mooz, prosciutto, olive tapenade and a little ricotta to add a creamier texture... mixed it together in the food processor and stuffed it in whole wheat ravioli my dad had made (he's vegan, so obviously he didn't try this concoction).

    put some homemade red sauce and some chopped basil over it. F'ING AWESOME!
    You sir, are a triple black belt foodie. There are no limits to your abilities.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,179
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    You sir, are a triple black belt foodie. There are no limits to your abilities.
    i have good influences... namely my gourmet executive chef brother-in-law

    it helps when you can just shoot your brother a text and he can give you expert advice in about 3 seconds

    and, really, none of this stuff is that difficult. mooz, prosciutto and ricotta can be found in any grocery store. the tapenade was canned (i took a short-cut there). and the pasta dough was made by my dad. all i had to do was stuff everything in the dough, cover it, boil it for 2-3 minutes, then pour the sauce over it.

    it sounds all fancy-pants when you describe it, but anyone can do it.

    having said that, i'll take all the culinary compliments i can get
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,278
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    i have good influences... namely my gourmet executive chef brother-in-law

    it helps when you can just shoot your brother a text and he can give you expert advice in about 3 seconds

    and, really, none of this stuff is that difficult. mooz, prosciutto and ricotta can be found in any grocery store. the tapenade was canned (i took a short-cut there). and the pasta dough was made by my dad. all i had to do was stuff everything in the dough, cover it, boil it for 2-3 minutes, then pour the sauce over it.

    it sounds all fancy-pants when you describe it, but anyone can do it.

    having said that, i'll take all the culinary compliments i can get
    Yeah it definitely helps. My step-dad, uncle, great grandma and a couple cousins are all chefs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,104
    vCash
    1500
    I've never made it myself but my great-aunt used to make an excellent lasagna that started with homemade pasta.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Some great ideas here I have to try...

    I'll definitely post some pics of these raviolis next time I make them. My baby that I'm trying to perfect are buffalo chicken raviolis with cream sauce. I added a little Frank's, blue cheese crumbles, and thinly shaved pieces of celery and carrots. Still trying to perfect the combo though and get the filling a little crunchy to mimic eating a chicken wing.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,179
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    Some great ideas here I have to try...

    I'll definitely post some pics of these raviolis next time I make them. My baby that I'm trying to perfect are buffalo chicken raviolis with cream sauce. I added a little Frank's, blue cheese crumbles, and thinly shaved pieces of celery and carrots. Still trying to perfect the combo though and get the filling a little crunchy to mimic eating a chicken wing.
    try toasting or frying the ravioli instead of boiling it in water... you'll definitely get that crunch you're looking for
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,278
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    try toasting or frying the ravioli instead of boiling it in water... you'll definitely get that crunch you're looking for
    I used to go to a bar back in college that had breaded and fried ravioli with a marinara dipping sauce.....so damn good. Never tried making it though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earfffff
    Posts
    33,179
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I used to go to a bar back in college that had breaded and fried ravioli with a marinara dipping sauce.....so damn good. Never tried making it though.
    neither have i, but i figure it can't be that hard. just toss it in some hot oil, then flip halfway through until both sides are golden brown.
    JETSMETSKNICKSPENS
    GATOR BAIT!
    UCONN!!!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    19,671
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    try toasting or frying the ravioli instead of boiling it in water... you'll definitely get that crunch you're looking for
    Iíve done fried ravioli before but never the homemade buffalo chicken ones. I gotta try it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    30,278
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe View Post
    neither have i, but i figure it can't be that hard. just toss it in some hot oil, then flip halfway through until both sides are golden brown.
    Yeah for sure.

    Similar topic: I LOVE pan fried leftover pasta. My Italian step-dad started me on that. Take any left over spaghetti or ziti, etc. and toss in a pan of hot olive oil and crushed red pepper and get it just a little crisp.......so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •