Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Sure, you can say that. But is it really worth the stress of squabbling over a couple million? In a situation like this, we need a player that is able to come here and provide some pop in the lineup. If that little premium really kills the Mets future plans for the next decade, there are some deeper problems going on.
    If you pay Scott Hairston 2/$8M, he's going to play everyday. Scott Hairston is not an everyday player, period. It's not about the money, it's amount of playing time they are willing to commit to a RH platoon outfielder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    But they do help the Mets win, every single night. Signing 2-3 low end FA's does not ruin the future of any young players, that is just nonsense.

Outside of TDA, the Mets don't have any position prospects who are good enough to save a spot for so they're not blocked. Flores our soon to be top position prospect does not have a position. Duda? DD, Kirk? - color me unimpressed.

Meija/Familia - They won't be blocked either, they're BP arms and we know how BP's are they will get every chance next year.

I'd sooner see young players play if they have real futures as above average everyday starters, like TDA. I'm not interested in losing games night after night so we can look at Duda bumble round the OF for 6 months, or KN, or DD who so far has shown he K's way too much to take seriously.
    Hairston and Marcum would help the Mets win every single night? Are you suggesting that the Mets would become a contender? Because that's what it sounds like.

This team finished in fourth place with Hairston having a career year and Dickey being dominant. Bring Hairston back, nothing changes from last year. Actually, I don't see him hitting 20 homers again.

Replace Dickey with Marcum, and that's a substancial decrease in value. We would still end up with a worse record unless others step up big time.

I'd rather give the players under team control and on the arb. clock experience than give millions away to middle aged players who will not improve this ball club.

Hairston is asking for too much money. I say let him go play for someone who's willing to overpay him.

I wouldn't really mind signing Marcum, considering he wouldn't really take time away from someone else, but I'm not sure what kind of contract he wants. Considering his salary in 2012 was near 8 million, I think he's going to sign something from 6-7. I think that's too much for a middle rotation starter who wouldn't make a difference. If we're going with the "bring in a veteran guy," just bring back Young. He has been solid for us and will earn a whole lot less.

Kirk, on the other hand, has shown the ability to hit at the major league level. I don't think he'll strike out at the same rate, but it's a work in process. He has a much brighter future in New York than Hairston, or Seizmore, or any other free agent you want to bring in.

den Dekker plays fantastic defense in center. I would love to see him play over some aging player. See what he's got. He has hit for power in the minors, but has struck out a bunch. Like Kirk, he just needs to be a little less agressive and I think he could be a solid player for us.

The point is, we are not in the stage to win now. We have guys who could be used now to gain experience and get better for when we are in the winning stage, which will be in a couple of years. Why deprive them of playing time in favor of someone who will be making too much money for what they'll bring to the table and will be in and out of New York in a flash?

The fact that you say that Marcum and Hairston would help the team win every night is just mind-boggling, though. And again, nowhere did I say that the futures' of young players would be ruined, just that it'd be smarter to give them needed experience in the time that could help them a whole lot in the future.
    Last edited by MetsFanatic19; 01-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.

vCash
    Whatever, but don't start crying for help during the season when the team is awful.

vCash
    Whatever, but don't start crying for help during the season when the team is awful.

But signing Hairston and Marcum would make us....not awful?

I'm pretty sure we were awful with the best third baseman in the game and the most dominant pitcher in the league. We're oging to be awful no matter who we sign in the remaining time this offseason, unless it's Marcum along with Bourn after we trade for Justin Upton.

We've been awful since 2009, and I haven't complained mightily one bit (a few moans and groans here and there, but no whining and crying [look at me, sounding like Clyde Frazier]). There will be no complaining from me because I understand that we're not supposed to win this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the oyung guys play and seeing how they develop and react to the majors.

If Sandy is more focused on 2014 and beyond, then so am I.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    But signing Hairston and Marcum would make us....not awful?

I'm pretty sure we were awful with the best third baseman in the game and the most dominant pitcher in the league. We're oging to be awful no matter who we sign in the remaining time this offseason, unless it's Marcum along with Bourn after we trade for Justin Upton.

We've been awful since 2009, and I haven't complained mightily one bit (a few moans and groans here and there, but no whining and crying [look at me, sounding like Clyde Frazier]). There will be no complaining from me because I understand that we're not supposed to win this year. I'm looking forward to seeing the oyung guys play and seeing how they develop and react to the majors.

If Sandy is more focused on 2014 and beyond, then so am I.

Whatever.

Good luck with SA's plan.

vCash
    Whatever.

Good luck with SA's plan.
    At least it's something other than speding money on worthless players for the hell of spending money and signing some new players.

SA's plan is called "being smart."

Your plan is called "being impatient."

vCash
    At least it's something other than speding money on worthless players for the hell of spending money and signing some new players.

SA's plan is called "being smart."

Your plan is called "being impatient."

Good luck with Sandy Alderson.

We'll see where his plan and your plan takes us.

vCash
    Marty, why don't you do us all a favor and travel to the future and tell us how things will turn out?

vCash
    I wish this new layout brought back the suicide emoticon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Marty, why don't you do us all a favor and travel to the future and tell us how things will turn out?
    Why don't you? you all seem to know what will happen...

vCash
    I'm quite sure you're the one who's been saying that we're all going to be complaining when we suck and this plan doesn't work...

vCash
    I'm not PSD's time traveler, you are supposedly.

vCash
    I'm quite sure you're the one who's been saying that we're all going to be complaining when we suck and this plan doesn't work...

You think this approach will work, I do not. We will see who is right.

vCash
    I'll be complaining that we suck. It's worth spending a few bucks - not a lot of bucks, a few bucks - to be less awful. There is a difference between winning 78 and winning 68 while building for the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I'll be complaining that we suck. It's worth spending a few bucks - not a lot of bucks, a few bucks - to be less awful. There is a difference between winning 78 and winning 68 while building for the future.
    Correct.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast