Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Am I crazy in wanting to see the best team possible this year, as long as that does not have an adverse effect on future years?

If the likes of Shawn Marcum, Scott H, and a few BP arms are going to destroy the future, then we have no future.

Where's the revenue going to come from to build a winner if we keep winning 70 games a season? Ya think Fred is going to pour his own money in?

Seriously people, at least THINK about it. If this kind of thing was going on at work, or in politics and not your beloved sports team wouldn't you be suspicious? come on man!!!! - You'd be all over this because it makes no sense and stinks to high heaven!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Because you still need to field a team for this season. Last I checked the Mets were planning on playing the 2013 schedule. Hell, there are even rumors floating around that they actually plan on charging for tickets to these games.

Sure, Hairston can be described as mediocre but he's also a powerful bat from the right side in a predominantly left hand hitting team. For $8 mill spread over 2 seasons, it just makes sense to have him especially since we literally have no other outfielders who can hit with any consistency.
    Makes no sense if his market value is presently at one year and $2 million. Right?
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Makes no sense if his market value is presently at one year and $2 million. Right?
    Hypothetically, sure. But the question is whether it is worth the risk to let him play on another team over a few million dollars.

No, it isn't.

To your point, Hairston hasn't signed with anyone yet and Spring Training is still a few weeks away. It's quite likely he'll end up signing with us for closer to what Sandy wants to pay him. Let's just hope Sandy knows what he's doing. But he showed us with the Reyes debacle that he doesn't always.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Will they just sign Hairston already so we can have some pop in the outfield?

vCash
    Hypothetically, sure. But the question is whether it is worth the risk to let him play on another team over a few million dollars.

No, it isn't.

To your point, Hairston hasn't signed with anyone yet and Spring Training is still a few weeks away. It's quite likely he'll end up signing with us for closer to what Sandy wants to pay him. Let's just hope Sandy knows what he's doing. But he showed us with the Reyes debacle that he doesn't always.
    Alderson knew exactly what he was doing. It would be hard to believe he didn't understand that free agents often sign with new teams. He weighed the pros, and he weighed the cons. He chose to keep Reyes -- perhaps for reasons that had a lot to do with keeping fans coming to the park in 2011. To say he didn't know what he was doing is absurd. If you want to say you don't agree with what he did, that's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Will they just sign Hairston already so we can have some pop in the outfield?
    It's pretty much up to Hairston to decide with which team he will sign.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Am I crazy in wanting to see the best team possible this year, as long as that does not have an adverse effect on future years?

If the likes of Shawn Marcum, Scott H, and a few BP arms are going to destroy the future, then we have no future.

Where's the revenue going to come from to build a winner if we keep winning 70 games a season? Ya think Fred is going to pour his own money in?

Seriously people, at least THINK about it. If this kind of thing was going on at work, or in politics and not your beloved sports team wouldn't you be suspicious? come on man!!!! - You'd be all over this because it makes no sense and stinks to high heaven!!!

Nobody ever said some signings would ruin the future, I don't know why you keep bringing that up. It's just the fact that they wouldn't help the Mets win. We have guys who are on the arbitration clock (Kirk, Mejia, Familia, etc...) and guys coming up (Wheeler, den Dekker, etc...) who could help this team in the future more than Marcum can.

I'm not saying Sandy shouldn't sign any ML free agent, just that I would rather see the young guys play than the middle aged average player who will be in and out of New York in a jiffy.

vCash
    Alderson knew exactly what he was doing. It would be hard to believe he didn't understand that free agents often sign with new teams. He weighed the pros, and he weighed the cons. He chose to keep Reyes -- perhaps for reasons that had a lot to do with keeping fans coming to the park in 2011. To say he didn't know what he was doing is absurd. If you want to say you don't agree with what he did, that's a different story.

If you're telling me he knew exactly what he was doing when he low balled Reyes (some say no balled Reyes) after not trading him in his walk year, then he frightens me more than i realized.

I could accept it if the Mets got outbid. But they clearly had no intention of re-signing him. That was lame.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Sure, you can say that. But is it really worth the stress of squabbling over a couple million? In a situation like this, we need a player that is able to come here and provide some pop in the lineup. If that little premium really kills the Mets future plans for the next decade, there are some deeper problems going on.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    If you're telling me he knew exactly what he was doing when he low balled Reyes (some say no balled Reyes) after not trading him in his walk year, then he frightens me more than i realized.

I could accept it if the Mets got outbid. But they clearly had no intention of re-signing him. That was lame.
    There is no way a New York team should have let a player like Reyes sign someplace else.
    That is a huge negative for Sandy, no matter how you spin it.

That being said, I'm hoping next winter they start signing players again.
    To me there is no more excuses.
    Would have like to have seen them start to sign someone decent this winter that maybe could helped them for a few years. It's hard to do it all in one.
    For some reason, I still have faith that they will operate like a New York team again in the near future, and get that payroll up to the top 5-10 in the league

vCash

He had marching orders from the Wilnotpons on this.

Alderson knows what he is doing. That doesn't necessarily mean he is allowed to do it. Alderson is way to good of a baseball man to have screwed up the Reyes mess. He was doing what he was told by idiot owners.

And Reyes was two teams ago. Time to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Sure, you can say that. But is it really worth the stress of squabbling over a couple million? In a situation like this, we need a player that is able to come here and provide some pop in the lineup. If that little premium really kills the Mets future plans for the next decade, there are some deeper problems going on.
    Wow. Clearly does a post nail it as succinctly as this one. Good job!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    He had marching orders from the Wilnotpons on this.

Alderson knows what he is doing. That doesn't necessarily mean he is allowed to do it. Alderson is way to good of a baseball man to have screwed up the Reyes mess. He was doing what he was told by idiot owners.

And Reyes was two teams ago. Time to move on.

I agree with this actually, I don't believe that for a second had a free hand here, he was told to keep Reyes by the Coupons to sell tix. Which tells you just how much control SA has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post

This is what I have been saying for months. Exactly, what kind of future do we have if signing SH ruins everything?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    This is what I have been saying for months. Exactly, what kind of future do we have if signing SH ruins everything?
    Future? It's the reality of 2013.

Mets need to sign an OFer, SP, and reliever ideally. Mets are likely close to bumping their heads against payroll budget. A million or two here or there does make a difference.

People complained vociferously about overpaying Alex Cora, but now the tune is "what's a few million?"

Oh the irony.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-19-2013 at 09:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    Nobody ever said some signings would ruin the future, I don't know why you keep bringing that up. It's just the fact that they wouldn't help the Mets win. We have guys who are on the arbitration clock (Kirk, Mejia, Familia, etc...) and guys coming up (Wheeler, den Dekker, etc...) who could help this team in the future more than Marcum can.

I'm not saying Sandy shouldn't sign any ML free agent, just that I would rather see the young guys play than the middle aged average player who will be in and out of New York in a jiffy.

But they do help the Mets win, every single night. Signing 2-3 low end FA's does not ruin the future of any young players, that is just nonsense.

Outside of TDA, the Mets don't have any position prospects who are good enough to save a spot for so they're not blocked. Flores our soon to be top position prospect does not have a position. Duda? DD, Kirk? - color me unimpressed.

Meija/Familia - They won't be blocked either, they're BP arms and we know how BP's are they will get every chance next year.

I'd sooner see young players play if they have real futures as above average everyday starters, like TDA. I'm not interested in losing games night after night so we can look at Duda bumble round the OF for 6 months, or KN, or DD who so far has shown he K's way too much to take seriously.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast