Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    http://metsblog.com/rumors/outfield/...t-outfielders/

Be patient!

"There's not a lot on the shelf."

More BS:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter

They knew they weren't getting Upton because ARI made Wheeler a must in the trade.

It's no use saying there's not a lot left on the shelf when you have sat back and done nothing to help the OF.

vCash
    More BS:

They knew they weren't getting Upton because ARI made Wheeler a must in the trade.
    Atlanta did not give up a prospect anywhere near the value of Zack Wheeler because they were able to deal Martin Prado. The Mets had a shot. A great one? Well, the D-backs seemed very anxious to deal Upton, and the Braves were pressed to deal Prado. They might have said no.

Toby Hyde looked at a comparable deal between the Mets and Diamondbacks. He came up with:

Randall Delgado
    Closest Met:
    Dillon Gee

Nick Ahmed
    Closest Met:
    SS Wilfredo Tovar

Zeke Spruill
    Closest Met:
    Cory Mazzoni

Chris Drury
    Closest Met:
    Pick your favorite non-prospect outside of the Mets top-50 to match here.

Martin Prado:
    Closest Met:
    The problem would be matching Prado who posted a 5.4 WAR for the Braves in 2012. Who do the Mets have that is comparable? David Wright, Niese, Wheeler, Harvey would be at the top of Arizona's list. The Braves did not deal Prado willingly. They were very reluctant, but hard for the Mets to match in terms of productivity.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-27-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Atlanta did not give up a prospect anywhere near the value of Zack Wheeler because they were able to deal Martin Prado. The Mets had a shot. A great one? Well, the D-backs seemed very anxious to deal Upton, and the Braves were pressed to deal Prado. They might have said no.

Toby Hyde looked at a comparable deal between the Mets and Diamondbacks. He came up with:

Randall Delgado
    Closest Met:
    Dillon Gee

Nick Ahmed
    Closest Met:
    SS Wilfredo Tovar

Zeke Spruill
    Closest Met:
    Cory Mazzoni

Chris Drury
    Closest Met:
    Pick your favorite non-prospect outside of the Mets top-50 to match here.

Martin Prado:
    Closest Met:
    The problem would be matching Prado who posted a 5.4 WAR for the Braves in 2012. Who do the Mets have that is comparable? David Wright, Niese, Wheeler, Harvey would be at the top of Arizona's list. The Braves did not deal Prado willingly. They were very reluctant, but hard for the Mets to match in terms of productivity.
    See above.

vCash
    If we packaged a deal around Wright before the extension, that would have been interesting. I'm sure he would have returned to the Mets anyway after FA so we would have had Wright and Upton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    If we packaged a deal around Wright before the extension, that would have been interesting. I'm sure he would have returned to the Mets anyway after FA so we would have had Wright and Upton.
    Unless, of course, Arizona extended him, which would be a distinct possibility. I would never risk giving up Wright to get Upton, let alone adding several other prospects to boot. Upton has not performed up to his potential yet, and he may never. Wright is a proven producer. There is no comparison.

I, for one, am glad Sandy chose not to chase a deal for Upton. I don't think he is worth anything near what they were asking for him. We would be much better off to sign Bourn and lose the pick, then to give up Wheeler or Harvey to get Upton.

Now I want to say what I logged onto this thread to say. The name of this thread should be changed to "Free Agent Outfielder Left to Consider" (Singular) since there is no one left available, other than Bourn, worth signing.

Edit: Upon further thinking, it seems to me that Murphy plus another prospect like Darrell Ceciliani or Gilbert Gomez is a better comparable to Prado than Wright. So, if I could get Upton (plus a prospect, not necessarily Chris Johnson) for Murphy, Gee, Tovar, Mazzoni, Ceciliani and Marte, I guess I'd pull the trigger.
    Last edited by dunbummin; 01-28-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Wright and Sandy could have had a shady agreement, remember that Cliff Lee returned to the Phillies. That would have been awesome lol.

vCash
    http://metsblog.com/rumors/outfield/...t-outfielders/

Be patient!

"There's not a lot on the shelf."

More BS:

So because they asked for Wheeler means that will always be the price? Until Upton was traded we always had a shot. And if you want to call BS I will direct you to how we got Johan Santana for complete garbage compared to what the Yankees and RedSox offered the Twins.

The difference is the Twins waited so long they forced the Sox and Yanks to move on leaving us at the table. Arizona jumped on the better offers early.

People need to stop acting like out GM ****ing lies to us all the time. Grow up and realize every GM in every sport is never direct because they don't play their hand to the media or fans.

vCash
    Arizona needed a third baseman and in earlier posts figured he and a prospect not named harvey wheeler tda or davis or wright would be available for trade for upton. While upton is talented its not that hard to find outfielders who hit 17 75 .280...while he could hit 30 homers and drive in 90 he hasn't done it consistently. Id rather have bourn and build from there. Juan Rivera is still a FA I think...he would improve our depth at low cost. Duda Bourn Nieuwenhuis with Rivera Cowgill and Valdespin in reserve/platoon roles could be productive enough...Baxter and Brown are fifth or sixth outfielders at best.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920