Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Free Agent Outfielders Left to Consider

An update from mid-December: If our in house experts are correct we would lose our #11 pick in 2013 so the likelihood of signing Bourn drops significantly. So who's left [a few of the best options in bold italics]? If you know anyone of significance who signed recently share the update.

From the Free Agents List at MLBTradeRumors:

Left Fielders
    Bobby Abreu (39)
    Endy Chavez (35)
    Johnny Damon (39)
    Mark DeRosa (38)
    Matt Diaz (35)
    Kosuke Fukudome (36)
    Scott Hairston (33)
    Bill Hall (33)
    Don Kelly (33)
    Darnell McDonald (34)
    Ryan Raburn (32)
    Juan Rivera (34)
    Vinny Rottino (33) ---been there done that
    Delmon Young (27)

Center Fielders
    Rick Ankiel (33)---only good seaon was in 2008...now a .230 hitter and lefty
    Michael Bourn (30)
    Nyjer Morgan (32)---Milledge type personality---is it worth the risk?
    Scott Podsednik (37)---lefty who stole 30 bases in 2010---hurt, now looks well past his prime
    Grady Sizemore (30)

Right Fielders
    Jeff Baker (32)---pinch hitter/5th outfielder---no thanks
    Ben Francisco (31)---early promise fizzled...a pinch hitter now
    Ryan Sweeney (28)---same as Francisco

1) Hairston is an obvious choice--SA would have to match the two year offers out there so soemthing around Gomes or Ludwick money [$10M/2 years] is likely. Hairston is a known commodity and valuable man off the bench if he ends up being passed by newer players. He can play either corner so if Duda is in left Hairston fills RF.

2) Juan Rivera is an interesting choice...now 34 the former Angel and Yankee averages in a 580 AB season 20 83 .274 with no speed, He can play 1B so on days Ike is sitting that adds a little punch. Last year in 311 ABs he went 9 47 .244---another useful tool but not exciting. He has neevr made more than $4m in a season so he carries a low price tag....better as a fourth OFer than a starter.

3) Mark DeRosa---now 37 and hurt he was good in 2006-09 averaging 18 78 .285 but he looks done. He does play six psoitions so more of a bench guy now.

4) Delmon Young---27 and averages 16 89 .284 in a full season---good hitter but plays only LF, DH and 1B and we are booked there at this moment. And he would cost $10M per...doable only if Duda is traded first.

5) Grady Sizemore (30)---recuperating from microfracture surgery--see Beltran---may be worth waiting til June to see if you caught lightning in a bottle---former All Star may be worth a make good incentive laden contract and let Kirk and Cowgill play in the meantime.

There is always the salary dump market---ASoriano, VWells---to name a few potential stopgap players while we wait for the kids.

vCash
    I would prob consider Rayburn if we can't bring back Hairston. Right hand hitting bat with some power. There really isn't anyone worth bringing in.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    IIRC we were interested in Sizemore earlier in the offseason but I haven't heard anything in a while. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him

vCash
    I guess its a choice between spam and meatloaf. None that appeals to me other then Hairston and Young (bats left). Neither of which is a difference maker. Baxter, Capt Kirk and Duda aren't so bad after all. Why are outfielders so hard to find?
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    I guess its a choice between spam and meatloaf. None that appeals to me other then Hairston and Young (bats left). Neither of which is a difference maker. Baxter, Capt Kirk and Duda aren't so bad after all. Why are outfielders so hard to find?
    I personally, from recent experiences enjoy spam.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post

U haven't had my wife's meatloaf...awesome
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Michael Bourn is not, should not, and will not be considered. He can be unhighlighted from your list.

vCash
    You forgot Milton Bradley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by knicks_champ View Post
    I personally, from recent experiences enjoy spam.
    There is just no substitute for the classics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

vCash
    Personally, we should just sign Hairston and Rayburn. I doubt we get Upton in a trade, so might as well get two players that together, could possibly have similar production. If I was Sandy this is what I'd do for the rest of the offseason:
    -Sign Scott Hairston 2 years/$10 Mil
    -Sign Brian Wilson to a 1 year deal worth $3 million with incentives and possibly an option for 2014
    -Sign Ryan Rayburn to a minor league deal with an invite
    -Sign Carl Pavano 1 year/$3.5 million
    -Sign Chad Durbin 1 year/$1.5 million or Jon Rauch 1 year/900k

I would go to war with that team in 2013, which is supposed to be a throwaway/rebuild year anyway. Then, we have a lot of money to spend to get an OF or two in next years FA class

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    Personally, we should just sign Hairston and Rayburn. I doubt we get Upton in a trade, so might as well get two players that together, could possibly have similar production. If I was Sandy this is what I'd do for the rest of the offseason:
    -Sign Scott Hairston 2 years/$10 Mil
    -Sign Brian Wilson to a 1 year deal worth $3 million with incentives and possibly an option for 2014
    -Sign Ryan Rayburn to a minor league deal with an invite
    -Sign Carl Pavano 1 year/$3.5 million
    -Sign Chad Durbin 1 year/$1.5 million or Jon Rauch 1 year/900k

I would go to war with that team in 2013, which is supposed to be a throwaway/rebuild year anyway. Then, we have a lot of money to spend to get an OF or two in next years FA class
    Yeah i would do all those deals aside from giving Hairston 2 years (but if we have to so be it).

All of those would be quality acquisitions even Raburn as our OF is currently situated.

I am a big fan of Wilson just due to FF inconsistency and injury concerns and i like how Durbin pitched with the Braves last year.

And like you said it doesnt keep us obligated past 2013.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-15-2013 at 12:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yeah i would do all those deals aside from giving Hairston 2 years (but if we have to so be it).

All of those would be quality acquisitions even Raburn as our OF is currently situated.

I am a big fan of Wilson just due to FF inconsistency and injury concerns and i like how Durbin pitched with the Braves last year.

And like you said it doesnt keep us obligated past 2013.
    Yeah I agree about Hairston. I would prefer to give him one year. That said, I think that if the team is competing in 2014, he could provide the team with a veteran presence and quality bat off the bench in big situations

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsJets0809 View Post
    Yeah I agree about Hairston. I would prefer to give him one year. That said, I think that if the team is competing in 2014, he could provide the team with a veteran presence and quality bat off the bench in big situations
    Thats true..

vCash
    Hairston is getting a two year deal from someone.

If Bourn did not cost a pick, he would be an interesting pickup, but as a Borass client he won't come cheap or even reasonable.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

vCash
    You do realize that the 'one year deal only' thing is an excuse right?

Same as when a guy wants a MLB contract, the Mets only want to give a minor league deal.

You have all actually noticed this dynamic going on for years now right?

Whatever the price, the Mets come in below it.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast