Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Does It Seem Like The Raptors Are Trying To Become The 2000/2001 Raptors?

Hear me out. The 2000/2001 Raptors were the best team the franchise has ever seen. Vince was at the top of his game but there was something about everyone else around him. Pretty much every player on that team was a grinder. They hustled and worked hard. They had a tough attitude too. It was the most fun I ever had watching the Raptors play.

The team we have now seems to be moving in that direction. Lowry, Valanciunas, Amir, Anderson, Acy, Ed, Demar and hell even Fields as of late have all been been playing a strong game this year.

Valanciunas, Ed and Amir are constantly getting in the paint, pushing defenders around and for Amir especially as of late, finishing strong. Quincy Acy has shown that in limited time he can be a banger down low. But he also possesses a talent that no other player like him really does. He can shoot free throws! So when he gets fouled while cleaning up the offensive glass, he can still get the points from the line. If he can just learn to be patient on D and not foul as much I think we'll have a really great player coming off the bench in Acy.

Anderson is reminding me of Mo Pete a lot right now. Constantly running and just giving it 100% on every play.

Lowry has been looking like Alvin Williams except only with a better offensive game.

Demar has just been hustling like no one else all year too. Even through all the no calls he's been seeing he hasn't shown any signs of giving it up.

Now there's Terrence Ross. It's all starting to become clear why we drafted him. He is supposed to be our new Vince Carter. Not Demar, T. Ross. He's got speed, he's got the shot and he makes it all look so smooth. He needs to develop more off the dribble but I definitely can see him being able to do it.

In closing, I'm not saying this team right now is as good as the 2000/2001 squad. I'm saying it appears to me that we're aiming to create a similar team.

vCash
    Why is everyone comparing Ross to Vince?
    We are Anonymous,
    We are Legion,
    We do not forgive,
    We do not forget,
    Expect us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ACanadian View Post
    Why is everyone comparing Ross to Vince?
    #TorontoSportsFans. Its what we do. We overhype.
    Raptors count-up to 36 wins: 34 - 48 || #TankForWiggins
    http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com
    Hey Cashman, fire Girardi and then yourself!

vCash
    They're just trying to be a good defensive team. Nothing more. There are better teams to emulate than the 2000 Toronto Raptors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaoudS View Post
    #TorontoSportsFans. Its what we do. We overhype.
    How did I know you would be the first to respond to that?

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    How did I know you would be the first to respond to that?
    I am as guilty as everyone else. I started Valanciunas blog where I had to wake up in early in the morning to watch games in Lithuania lol
    Raptors count-up to 36 wins: 34 - 48 || #TankForWiggins
    http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com
    Hey Cashman, fire Girardi and then yourself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CB29 View Post
    They're just trying to be a good defensive team. Nothing more. There are better teams to emulate than the 2000 Toronto Raptors.
    This.

I'd be happier with a Spurs type team. A team that gets the absolute best performances out of every player.

vCash
    I don't really see any comparison to be honest. We have a very young team unlike the one in 2000-01. I just think people need not to look to past teams when trying to establish the identity for the current one. Lets make our own identity!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    This.

I'd be happier with a Spurs type team. A team that gets the absolute best performances out of every player.
    Yah, I think the Spurs are the franchise that everyone should want to emulate. Casey and Colangelo are just trying to be as good as they can at as many positions as they can. Where we need to improve changes year to year, rather than being a part of a bigger plan IMO (ie. they want to address toughness and the future of the PG position, they trade for Lowry).

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High Champ View Post
    I don't really see any comparison to be honest. We have a very young team unlike the one in 2000-01. I just think people need not to look to past teams when trying to establish the identity for the current one. Lets make our own identity!
    Yah, I don't see the needs for comparisons either. But this one seems like a bit of a reach. For example the 2000/2001 team never had a big man like Valanciunas. Antonio Davis was an undersized center who was fundamentally sound and just out-competed the competition at the time. He was a Center by necessity, not by design. Valanciunas is definitely a center by design. While I like Ross, I'd suggest Valanciunas is the building block that BC is more centered on for the future.

Canadian in Carolina. University of South Carolina Beaufort.
    vCash
    lol i like ross..... but just because he has hops and can dunk the ball ... doesnt make him Vince or tmac lol
    http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2013/11/NOAH.gif

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS 2014 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS!- BEASTMODE

BLUE JAYS

twitter
    https://twitter.com/NicolasONeill_

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick O View Post
    lol i like ross..... but just because he has hops and can dunk the ball ... doesnt make him Vince or tmac lol
    if anything, they are making him a shooter on this team. He comes off screens to take jump shots. He really doesn't get a chance to do anything else on the court. All his dunks were either on fast breaks or put backs. If you really want to develop Ross, you put him in situations where he has to make the decision or run the play through him - thats how true stars are made. of course, you can't let his mistakes burn him future wise or else he'd be on the bench.

Thats why they should let Ross and Lowry play more, regardless of mistakes, because the development of these two players is more beneficial towards the future. Bargnani is an exception as he was given too much freedom and the best player on a bad team scenario and too much GM/ upper management involvement with the player's development.

if Casey wasn't pressured to win, we'd be having a different scenario and more focus will be on the development of our young players than anything. I believe Raptors fans would appreciate that more than limiting Ross' and Lowry's minutes so that we can have a better "conceived" notion of "winning". Who says the team couldn't have won with Lowry as the starting PG the last 14-15 games and Ross playing through mistakes and limiting his game to being just a shooter?

vCash
    no. no it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    no......

we don't have 1/4 of the talent we had on that team...

but we can sure try to build like them...

/thread

vCash
    I never said this team was as talented as that team. I'm just saying they sort of remind me of them.

vCash
    I'm sure that those who continue to compare Ross to VC didn't see VC in his prime. (Full disclosure; I despise Vince now because of how it ended with him and when I met him at inside nightclub-just an *****- conversely, Jalen and MoPete bought us drinks.) That being said, VC was not a good player-he was a great player, who could've been the best if he wanted to. You watched because at any moment he could blow your mind with his moves.

True story; I actually blew off getting laid to go to a friends house to watch him at the legendary slam dunk competition. I wasn't disappointed.... Got to her the next day anyway. Haha

Truth is you guys have to stop making these comparisons where there clearly are none.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast