Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

If we get the players were interested in...

are we contenders? Assume that we trade Flores, Syndergaad, Valdespin, and Familia for Upton. It doesn't have to be those exact players, but we find a way to get Upton without trading Niese. We then sign Brian Wilson, Hairston, one or two of the starters were interested in, a few relievers, and maybe a few bench players. I think we may be able to compete. This is our team...

Tejada
    Murphy
    Wright
    Davis
    Upton
    Duda/Hairston
    D'Arnoud (after the first month)
    Niewenhuiss

Buck
    Turner
    Hicks
    Baxter

Johan
    Harvey
    Niese
    Gee
    Young/Pavano/Marcum/Saunders/Wheeler (eventually)

Wilson
    Francisco
    Rauch
    Parnell
    Free Agent
    Byrdak
    Mejia

Johan should bounce back. Definitely not to old Johan form, but a mid 3 ERA is definitely possible. Assume he pitches like he did before the no-hitter. Harvey was great last year and should only get better. Niese is also good for a low 3 ERA and Gee a mid 3. Wheeler and 2 of the other starters I mentioned should get the job done as a 5th starter. The bullpen is pretty good as well, especially with Wilson as the closer. Obviously the whole infield is good, and D'Arnaud shouldn't be too bad behind the plate. Outfield is pretty good now with Upton, Hairston and Duda platooning which I think is great, and Niewenhuiss, who I'm fine with in the OF. Below average bench, but 2013 shouldn't be a throwaway year. I'm not saying were favorites to win the world series, or even to make the playoffs, but I wouldn't count them out.

vCash
    Yes the 2013 Mets would be competitive.. but compete for what exactly is the question at hand.

Based on the acquisitions you propose Wilson would stabilize the back end of the bullpen IF returning to old form.
    And
    Upton would provide a RH threat in the lineup aside from Wright.

But some flaws though:
    - Is you are assuming Johan bounces back perfectly.
    - Harvey getting better would make him an ACE because he pitched very exceptional in his 10 starts last season and I would love to see him just continue that sort of success.
    - Finally Gee is more a high-3 to 4+ era. Not a 3 era like Niese and Santana.

But given these stretch acquisitions I think it definitely brighten the hopes for a good year in 2013. And it definitely makes 2014 look like a chance to compete for a playoff spot
    #oneatatime

vCash
    We'd win the WS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    Yes the 2013 Mets would be competitive.. but compete for what exactly is the question at hand.

Based on the acquisitions you propose Wilson would stabilize the back end of the bullpen IF returning to old form.
    And
    Upton would provide a RH threat in the lineup aside from Wright.

But some flaws though:
    - Is you are assuming Johan bounces back perfectly.
    - Harvey getting better would make him an ACE because he pitched very exceptional in his 10 starts last season and I would love to see him just continue that sort of success.
    - Finally Gee is more a high-3 to 4+ era. Not a 3 era like Niese and Santana.

But given these stretch acquisitions I think it definitely brighten the hopes for a good year in 2013. And it definitely makes 2014 look like a chance to compete for a playoff spot
    Well I believe in players bouncing back. I'd love acquiring Wilson because he was amazing a few years ago, not so good last year which means he'd be cheap and possible to get, and now I expect him to be somewhere in the middle. Not as dominant as he used to be, but still very good.

I believe in Johan too. I didn't say he will bounce back to old Johan, but he could still be our ace. No one believed in him bouncing back last year and he threw a no-hitter.

Harvey may not put up better stats, but he will be better because he will be more experienced and will be pitching a full season. We will get to see just how good of a pitcher he is. Last year was a small sample size, but he looked great and I think he will be. All of our top 4 starters should post ERAs in the 3's. Johan around 3.00, Niese around 3.25, Harvey around 3.50, and Gee around 3.75. Young, Pavano, and Wheeler should be a solid group of 5th starters as well. Obviously there are a lot of ifs, but there are with every team. If any teams major players don't play how they should, they won't be as good. But we have to assume they play as they should, and if they do I think we can compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    We'd win the WS.
    Thanks for your insight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METSandJETS94 View Post
    Thanks for your insight.
    You're welcome.

Look, players will bounce back, but players will also regress, get injured, and disappoint as well. It's the way baseball is.

vCash
    You're welcome.

Look, players will bounce back, but players will also regress, get injured, and disappoint as well. It's the way baseball is.
    I don't recall saying players won't regress or get injured. But we have to hope for the best right? If we just assume were gonna suck then why even watch? Maybe all the other teams will have more injuries and regress more and we do win the World Series. You never know. But for right now let's assume they play like they should.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METSandJETS94 View Post
    I don't recall saying players won't regress or get injured. But we have to hope for the best right? If we just assume were gonna suck then why even watch? Maybe all the other teams will have more injuries and regress more and we do win the World Series. You never know. But for right now let's assume they play like they should.
    That team you put there would contend if we got Michael Bourn as well. Assuming the core players stay healthy and players perform the way they are capable it would be possible.

However, likely none if this will happen and I will enjoy watching Harvey, Wheeler, d'Arnaud, and all of our other young players play.

vCash
    I don't think contending is the plan right now...could it happen? Sure, this team broke out extremely hot last season and sent out a vibe of over confidence among fans. It balanced out as all things baseball do, and they fell in the standings.

Contenders? No. Competitive? Yes. Competitive in September? Unlikely.

Not to mention I do not think TdA will sniff the parent team this year until September, that is what Buck is for. If you are thinking he makes an appearance after the first month, that would likely indicate the team is in a bad slump to start the season and is already 20 games out. TdA will likely get the season in AAA before a promotion.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 01-14-2013 at 06:02 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Still 4th place. Which is why SA isn't trading for Upton unless he underpays.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    You're welcome.

Right.

As if the pitching staff will only get better without RA Dickey and all those innings. Sure, there's no reason Johan won't become the same pitcher he was before the no hitter.

And just click those Ruby Slippers three times and say "There's No Place Like Home."

You just can't beat a good fairy tale.

The pity of this whole conversation is that it is based on Sandy trading for Justin Upton, who is scheduled to make $9.7 mill this year, 14.2 mill next, and $14.7 in '15.

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention lately, Sandy doesn't sign or trade for players who are owed nearly $40 mill for the next three seasons.

And the band played on.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Still 4th place. Which is why SA isn't trading for Upton unless he underpays.
    Link?

vCash
    About TdA, no. He'll be up by May, June at the latest. He's not young and 20-30 games not played at the start of the year gives him another arbitration year. No sense in keeping him down unless hes injured or batting .100. You think the front office planned on having Anthony Recker on the ML season? Lol. May man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Right.

The pity of this whole conversation is that it is based on Sandy trading for Justin Upton, who is scheduled to make $9.7 mill this year, 14.2 mill next, and $14.7 in '15.

In case anyone hasn't been paying attention lately, Sandy doesn't sign or trade for players who are owed nearly $40 mill for the next three seasons.

And the band played on.
    If SA wanted similar production at that price I believe Delmon Young would not cost us that #11 pick, he's 28, solid RH bat, mediocre fielder but could hold down RF until Duda eventually moves and cost us no farm products. As for the rest of the OP's roster I agree that the team could be turned into a contender without spending much. We need one more solid bat in the outfield [relying on Niewenhuis and Cowgill to share CF or RF, a fifth starting pitcher and some veteran bullpeners and that eliminates all of the gaping holes enough to put a competitive team on the field. The rest is up to performance and health to see if the team is a contender at the ASB or wait til next year.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Link?
    Why does he need a link for his opinion?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast