Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Hickson's trade value

J.J. Hickson has averaged a hefty double-double (12.2 ppg, 11.0 rpg) for the Portland Trail Blazers this season. While that's great news for them as a team, his increased production is going to leave general manager Neil Olshey with a difficult decision to make as the trade deadline approaches, because Hickson is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"[A]nyone who has ever spent any time around owner Paul Allen knows that he'll be irked if Olshey loses the 24-year-old Hickson at the end of the season without getting something for him," wrote John Canzano of the Oregonian.

"That's not the tricky part. Because even as the Blazers love Hickson, there are a number of league executives who don't believe he has trade-deadline value beyond, maybe, a couple of future second-round draft picks."

On the other hand, if they don't trade Hickson for something, they may loose him via free agency, especially if another team sees him as a long-term fit and is willing to pony up a decent contract for him. Certainly, we will be hearing more about Hickson's potential to be dealt away as the Feb. 21 trade deadline approaches.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar-taveras
    ~ Oscar Taveras ~ The next Phenom

vCash
    if he maintains his level of play, he will get at least a 1st.

vCash
    Since his trade value appears to be so low, this makes me think his contract offers will be similarly low. I believe the reason most don't want to sign/keep him is because his contract will be between 9-10 mil a year next offseason. If that number could be reduced to 6-7 mil a year it makes him a lot more enticing to keep long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    if he comes at 6 mil, then heck yes. but i really dont think he will.

vCash
    I'm not sure we can get too much out of him unless we package him with another player. Sure he is playing at a high level but who wants a rental that is gonna want 10mill a year and most likely not even be a starting PF. The only teams I can think of that would really need him is Boston, Miami and Knicks maybe. But even then what would we get in return? Not much.

vCash
    i'd take courtney lee and a 1st. Lee 5mil and the ideal bench SG. plus a 1st is always nice to have for assets.

still have about 9mil left in FA.

vCash
    and BOS pick will probably be around 18-20.

vCash
    Not contributing much here, but I love this guy's energy and desire to play good but in the few games I've watched, he definitely seems like a dark hole on the team. I wouldn't give him up for nothing though.

vCash
    I'll take Noah off your hands for him!

vCash
    The more I watch Hickson's game the less I'm sure he will get a great offer this off season. I'm not on the wagon of people saying 9-10 million. I'm thinking 5-7 million over 3-4 years tops. Something like mid-level money with team options in the last two years. Teams with good cap won't see him as a franchise player worth big money and teams looking to contend will only see him as a mid level guy to shore up their frontline off the bench.
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    He is Lamar Odom without the range. Let me clarify, young 6th man of the year Lamar Odom. He can get you 14 points without ever having a play called for him. He is high energy. Teams are just very weary of him because the Kings debacle. They are afraid that once he gets new deal and takes a more Odom type roll he will revert to disgruntled Kings Hickson.

vCash
    also, if a team trades for him they lose the bird rights. also JJ can veto any trade. multiple things to be weary of

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    also, if a team trades for him they lose the bird rights. also JJ can veto any trade. multiple things to be weary of
    If you're in JJ Hickson's position, it would be kind of foolish to accept a trade. He knows that his production is going to be great in Portland, and that will maximize his next contract. He had trouble fitting in at Sacramento, so I'm guessing his agent would advise against him wanting to move to a different team mid-season. The only reason to do it is if a team was offering him a big extension right after the trade.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    If you're in JJ Hickson's position, it would be kind of foolish to accept a trade. He knows that his production is going to be great in Portland, and that will maximize his next contract. He had trouble fitting in at Sacramento, so I'm guessing his agent would advise against him wanting to move to a different team mid-season. The only reason to do it is if a team was offering him a big extension right after the trade.
    but to counter that. its doubt his next contract comes from us. and there is a real possibility that we renounce his rights to avoid the cap hold so we can maximize our cap space.

so he could have issues

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    but to counter that. its doubt his next contract comes from us. and there is a real possibility that we renounce his rights to avoid the cap hold so we can maximize our cap space.

so he could have issues
    Why?

Many of us have made the assumption we don't want to retain him. Why have we made that assumption? I think Olshey and Stotts really like him both for play and locker room traits. I personally don't think he will ask for more then 7 mill a year because I don't think anyone will really offer him a ton. The evidence suggests we will retain him yet many of us just assume we will make him without any actual evidence to support it. Remember all the annalists said it was a lock we would trade at least 1 if not both our picks yet we kept them and got an amazing tandem. So why are we assuming we will make the trade now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast