Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I imagine they would be practicing and doing spring training things otherwise. It not like they are adding too much exertion to their years. I'm more worried about a freak injury but those can happen anywhere. Someone like Vogelsong probably won't pitch more than his usual workouts anyway, maybe a little more.

vCash
    Good for Vogey

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS

vCash
    Affeldt to play for USA as well.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Having a SP in the WBC worries me more than a position player like Pablo.

Slumpy Shoulder HR Counter: 10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    It's baseball. Not much of a grinding season
    lolwut

Quote Originally Posted by 707GiAnTsFaN View Post
    I imagine they would be practicing and doing spring training things otherwise. It not like they are adding too much exertion to their years. I'm more worried about a freak injury but those can happen anywhere. Someone like Vogelsong probably won't pitch more than his usual workouts anyway, maybe a little more.
    Hopefully. There isn't a huge sample size to tell us whether or not players are impacted by playing in WBC, but from what there is, it definitely isn't positive.

Here's a link from Fangraphs on the issue for anyone who is interested: http://www.fangraphs.com/community/i...e-of-pitchers/
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Affeldt to play for USA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Leandres_sf View Post
    Having a SP in the WBC worries me more than a position player like Pablo.
    Preach on!

vCash
    Romo's trying to play for Mexico.

Don't **** up your elbow, dammit.

vCash
    Don't ****ing play for Mexico. If he's going to play at all, play for Team USA damn it.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Don't ****ing play for Mexico. If he's going to play at all, play for Team USA damn it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nessythegreat View Post
    This is getting old. Enough is enough. Redskin Is not offensive and it will never change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I want to start a website where people who say this video tape themselves going up to Native Americans and go "hey what's up redskin?" and then upload what happens.

I'll call it WhatsUpRedskin.com

You want to go first?
    I fully support this future site.

vCash
    I don't know if it's just me, but I hate it when players play for or people root for countries over the country they live in, grew up in, etc.

Ariana Grande

vCash
    I'd rather Romo play for team Mexico. I want Giants on as many teams as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcs15 View Post
    It is kind of a negative, but this will probably just take the place of Vogelsongs spring training so I doubt it'll impact him too much. I don't think it's a big deal.
    Bingo

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    This isn't effectively replacing spring training IMO. It's different than ST, you aren't with your coaches, your trainers, you aren't working everyday just like you would be in ST to get stronger. There are a lot of differences between playing baseball in ST and the WBC. The reason why Winter Leagues are different from the WBC IMO.

Again this is what I think. There are people on both sides of the fence for this issue.

We're just gonna have to wait and see.

vCash
    Why don't they work everyday in the WBC?

Would you trust a blind scout? Of course you wouldn't but that's what you do when you simply go by stats
    Splifftone, OptiskeptSF and Ciaban have a lot in common

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RTL View Post
    Why don't they work everyday in the WBC?
    I should correct myself, my intention wasn't to say work, but rather follow the right routine. Of course they would workout during the WBC I apologize for messing that up. The article I posted above from fangraphs states the reasons as to why the WBC doesn't usually bode well for pitchers. The article is from 2010, thus both the 06 and 09 WBCs are accounted for in the data.

I think people should read the article, not for the sake of the debate, but just to see the numbers. It's pretty interesting.

Here's the thesis before the author of the article gets into detail:
    After looking through the statistics of those who appeared in both WBC tournaments, it is my belief that pitchers who participate in the WBC, especially starters, are far more likely to see a regression in their performance, get hurt or both than pitchers who do not play in the WBC. I reason that the most likely cause is the tournament’s timing disrupts the normal routine of pitchers and their arms are not yet ready to handle the stress and intensity then. With data collected from various sources, I will demonstrate the stark differences between WBC pitchers and their counterparts who did not participate in the tournament, using spreadsheet data and graphs included in this analysis.
    Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.fangraphs.com/community/i...e-of-pitchers/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    It's more than that regardless. Spring Training games mean dick to these guys, so there is obviously going to be different levels of effort and strain for the players that compete in the WBC.
    Yep, this is one of the reasons the author uses to argue against WBC. Well not in those words, but the gist of it, yes.

I mean most of us could come up with reasons as to why the WBC will impact our players negatively and Spliff just gave us one, but I found the article which saves most of us time since it has data.
    Last edited by ESaady; 01-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast