Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Things to be happy about...

To end the season it looks like there is a couple things to be happy about(Mainly young players that stepped up to end the year). I guess.....

Dujuan Harris is one of them. It honestly looks like we have a legitimate back. I was watching the game with many SF fans last night and most of the games he has played in and they are all very impressed with him. Nowhere near as impressed as I have been. They have Gore and have had him while we haven't had a legitimate back in years. For his size he runs with power and has very good burst and just overall good vision which is something keeping Green from being a good back. He catches really well out of the backfield the only concern is his durability and ability in pass pro being 5'8''.

Sam Shields and Casey Hayward give me the impression that the CB position will be one of the best in the NFL for years to come. Hayward quieted down a bit at the end of the year with his playmaking ability but his coverage never wavered. Sam Shields since coming back from injury has been exceptional. Even last year he could stick with the best WR's in the NFL but his tackling would be shoddy and would make plenty of mental mistakes. This year has been a completely different story. Not only has he stuck with every WR he has faced but he has made VERY few mental mistakes or breakdowns in coverage and has been amazingly aggressive as a tackler(Something WIlliams needs to watch over the offseason and make a quick turnaround or he will be passed by SHields as the number 1 corner). PFF has both of these players basically top 5 in nearly every advanced statistic Category.

Mike Neal has the 2nd most sacks on the team and in the last 6 games has been getting after the QB very well and has stayed overall healthy enough this year to stay on the field which is the biggest concern for him. If people or know it or not he could be key to the success of the Packers next year. Look at what Matthews has done since returning from injury and pairing with Neal who has been exceptional beside Matthews. According to PFF since week 15 Matthews has 7 sacks while Neal has 3. Matthews has 14 pressures overall while Neal has 15. If Worthy and Perry step up or they draft a different DE the nickel pass rush should be MUCH improved next year. In Perry's limited snaps to start the year he averaged a pressure in nearly half as many attempts as Walden has this year and barely more than Matthews. So his pass rush though raw was effective in his few games.

Randall Cobb didn't finish the season strong but still had an exceptional year in the slot. If Greg Jennings doesn't return the Packers should still feel comfortable with Nelson, Cobb, Jones at WR. I'm guessing a WR is drafted in the early rounds even if they move up to get some1 they fell in love with just to add depth. This team is built around 3-4 WR sets so depth is critical going into next year.

Jones wasn't the most loved WR in Pack Nation to start the year but his consistency garnered more and more fans and he quietly led the league in TD's. His hands had to be the most impressive part of the season though. He made so many impressive catches I couldn't possibly choose a favorite. Even that 1 he made last night down the sideline was very impressive over two defenders. He has been great in the intermediate game and catching the ball at his peak.

So to get a break from all the FIRE Dom Capers talk let me hear some of the things you guys feel there is to be happy about.

vCash
    If anybody reads Profootballfocus like I do and you don't have a membership but want to know how a player was graded throughout the year or what not let know and I will get that posted for you. I will actually just post overall grade below if anybody is interested. So if you want to know more in depth I will get that for you.

On defense the grades pretty much went like this

Matthews - (23.2)3rd ranked pass rushing OLB by PRP and top 10 by run stop % even though teams constantly run away from him.
    Hayward- (20.9) OH man where to start. He is the third highest graded CB, 4th against the run by stop %, 1st by passer rating, 2nd in comp %, 4th INT, 4th ranked slot corner by catches per snap. Let's just say he has been phenomenal.
    Shields- (17.2) (14.6 since returning from injury which is first among CB's in that time) 1st in receptions per snap, 6th comp %, Just overall great play by the 3rd year player.
    Burnett- (7.3) Don't know what to say. He had just an overall good year. Became one of the leaders of this team.
    Jones- (6.8) Stepped up big considering it is his first year on the inside and he was the 3rd string ILB.
    Raji-(6.1)(11.4 since week 11)
    Neal-(4.4)(3rd ranked pass rushing 3-4 DE)
    Pickett-(4.3) His best season in years. He definitely didn't play his age.
    House-(3.2) This guy has a ton of potential. Hopefully he continues to develop and is able to find a spot in the starting lineup beside Shields and Hayward.
    McMillian-(2.3) Showed a ton of potential to start the season but wasn't assignment sure and lost his spot.
    Williams-(.3) Wow, Where to start. The second half of his season was atrocious.
    Perry-(-1.0)If you take away the first game of season he played he was a solid 5.3 in only 4 games.
    Jennings-(-1.1) VERY average. Never had a great game and his only really bad game was week 1.
    Woodson-(-1.4) Not Nearly the playmaker he used to be and I assume needs to renegotiate his contract.
    Smith-(-2.0) Looked fairly average in his limited opportunities.
    Wilson-(-2.1) Came alive this year as a run defender.
    Hawk-(-2.1) Had his best year in quite awhile but still was disappointing and outclassed by a third stringer.
    Daniels-(-2.3) He was actually able to get after the passer fairly well. He should continue to develop.
    Bush-(-5.1) For him to have this bad of a grade in such a limited amount of snaps is very bad
    Zombo-(5.5) Same can be said for Zombo as bush. He won't be on the team next year most likely.
    Worthy-(-11.4) Had a fairly bad year as a pass rusher. Showed strong run defense.
    Moses-(-14.6) Still very Raw and his potential was rarely seen.
    Walden-(-30.4)Is the worst rated 3-4 OLB by grade and by their pass rush statistics.

This post turned into something completely different than I intended. That took way to long. Wanted to give PFF stats about each person but that would of taken hours. IF I get responses to it I will give offensive grades also.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 01-13-2013 at 04:50 PM.

vCash

vCash
    Seattle's season ended on a hail mary attempt. I'm happy about that today.

vCash
    Good post. I think we could put Barclay's name out there. He played well down the stretch. I'd be interested to see how Tramon and Raji ranked up this season.

vCash
    Things to be happy about going into the offseason: It looks like our offensive line will look good next year. Barclay, EDS, Sherrod, Bulaga, Sitton and Lang should factor into next year, and if they remain healthy, we should have enough talent there.

Secondary: I think we only need to find one guy to make this group top in the NFL. Shields, Hayward, Woodson (presumably), Burnett, Williams, House. We will have some good depth, and I think we just need to find a new starter at safety opposite Burnett.

Defensive Line: This is the area where we really need to address. We need a disruptive force there other than Raji. We have enough depth to hold down the other spot, but we need a consistent force there like a Watt, Jenkins or Ngata.

Linebackers: Bishop should be healthy, Matthews will continue playing well, Nick Perry will come back and could help a lot, but I think we should get a better reserve option for Perry in case his injuries are a problem and in case he doesn't turn out to be what we want him to be. Also, I think it's time to move on from Hawk. He is average.

Receivers: The strength of the team, all we have to do is add some depth.

Quarterback: Duh.

Running back: This might have to be addressed early in the draft.

Special Teams: A kicker would not be tough to address in the draft. Provide some competition. Wasn't a problem in the playoffs, so I'm not too concerned here.

Coaching: Our offense might have some bad play calling, but it's not the problem. I think a long discussion has to be had about Capers.

The holes on this team aren't impossible to fix next year. If healthy and if the players we add work out, I think we'll be right back to competing for the Super Bowl next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    To end the season it looks like there is a couple things to be happy about(Mainly young players that stepped up to end the year). I guess.....

Dujuan Harris is one of them. It honestly looks like we have a legitimate back. I was watching the game with many SF fans last night and most of the games he has played in and they are all very impressed with him. Nowhere near as impressed as I have been. They have Gore and have had him while we haven't had a legitimate back in years. For his size he runs with power and has very good burst and just overall good vision which is something keeping Green from being a good back. He catches really well out of the backfield the only concern is his durability and ability in pass pro being 5'8''.

Sam Shields and Casey Hayward give me the impression that the CB position will be one of the best in the NFL for years to come. Hayward quieted down a bit at the end of the year with his playmaking ability but his coverage never wavered. Sam Shields since coming back from injury has been exceptional. Even last year he could stick with the best WR's in the NFL but his tackling would be shoddy and would make plenty of mental mistakes. This year has been a completely different story. Not only has he stuck with every WR he has faced but he has made VERY few mental mistakes or breakdowns in coverage and has been amazingly aggressive as a tackler(Something WIlliams needs to watch over the offseason and make a quick turnaround or he will be passed by SHields as the number 1 corner). PFF has both of these players basically top 5 in nearly every advanced statistic Category.

Mike Neal has the 2nd most sacks on the team and in the last 6 games has been getting after the QB very well and has stayed overall healthy enough this year to stay on the field which is the biggest concern for him. If people or know it or not he could be key to the success of the Packers next year. Look at what Matthews has done since returning from injury and pairing with Neal who has been exceptional beside Matthews. According to PFF since week 15 Matthews has 7 sacks while Neal has 3. Matthews has 14 pressures overall while Neal has 15. If Worthy and Perry step up or they draft a different DE the nickel pass rush should be MUCH improved next year. In Perry's limited snaps to start the year he averaged a pressure in nearly half as many attempts as Walden has this year and barely more than Matthews. So his pass rush though raw was effective in his few games.

Randall Cobb didn't finish the season strong but still had an exceptional year in the slot. If Greg Jennings doesn't return the Packers should still feel comfortable with Nelson, Cobb, Jones at WR. I'm guessing a WR is drafted in the early rounds even if they move up to get some1 they fell in love with just to add depth. This team is built around 3-4 WR sets so depth is critical going into next year.

Jones wasn't the most loved WR in Pack Nation to start the year but his consistency garnered more and more fans and he quietly led the league in TD's. His hands had to be the most impressive part of the season though. He made so many impressive catches I couldn't possibly choose a favorite. Even that 1 he made last night down the sideline was very impressive over two defenders. He has been great in the intermediate game and catching the ball at his peak.

So to get a break from all the FIRE Dom Capers talk let me hear some of the things you guys feel there is to be happy about.

Meh, I'd still be happy to see us get a back anywhere from round 3-5. Even if we snag a stud in the 2nd I sill would be happy.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    The Packers had a great season in my book, especially when considering the adversity they faced all year. Alot of teams would have crumbled but guys stepped up and got us to another division title and a playoff win. We have a great core of young layers who should still improve. With a couple more added pieces (in TT we trust), I have no doubt that we'll see Rodgers holding up the Lombardi again. Go Pack Go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wissportsfan View Post
    Good post. I think we could put Barclay's name out there. He played well down the stretch. I'd be interested to see how Tramon and Raji ranked up this season.
    Barclay was the Packers worst ranked Olineman and second worst offensive player only slightly ahead of Crabtree who had a really bad year blocking according to PFF. I tend to agree with that. In Barclay's seven games he gave up 5 sacks and 29 pressures all together. His pass pro grade was -6.9 and run block was .7. All together was -6.5.(In Comparison Newhouse in nearly 3x as many snaps gave up 10 sacks and 55 total pressures) I thought Barclay really struggled in pass pro this year while constantly letting pass rushers get to Rodgers.

Raji was +6.4 and finished the season very strong. His pass rush grade was 2.9 and run defense was 6.4. 3 of his first 4 games led to a -7.3 grade and had mostly average grades until about week 11 where he really picked it up to finish out the season with a grade of 11.4(Would of been over 15 if he didn't have the game he did yesterday).

Williams was one of the biggest disappointments on the team the second half of the season IMO. PFF grades seem to back up my opinion. The first half of the season(first 8 games) he was one of the highest graded CB's at 9.7. Then after that is was basically a downward spiral. From week 9 on he finished with a -9.4. That would be much lower but he had a really good game against the vikes in the playoffs. Every CB on the team did though. Webb was the QB after all. All together his Coverage grade was 2.9(Shields was 15.6 and Hayward was 18.1) and run def was -3.6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by time4change View Post
    Meh, I'd still be happy to see us get a back anywhere from round 3-5. Even if we snag a stud in the 2nd I sill would be happy.
    I of course wouldn't mind seeing Green Bay take a mid rd back. Just because Harris is small and it is unknown if he can handle a constant beating and how well he will be in pass pro over a full season. From recent history I think Harris gives us a better shot at a legitimate back than a draft pick does though. TT has had trouble finding a good back in the draft. Harris in his small sample size proved better than anything else the Packers have had on their roster this year. Harris is next to trent richardson in elusive rating at about 40(Next closest Packer is 23 which is Starks) and Alfred Morris in Yards after Contact at 3(Closest Packer is Starks again at 2.3). If Harris was added to the list of RB's with 50% of their team carries he would be 5th in Y/CO and 7th in elusive rating. I think we can all agree he showed a lot and has potential to be the Packers future back. If Starks was able to stay healthy he is actually a good back. I just don't think the Packers will go through another season of him constantly hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brewerboy View Post
    How much is PFF?
    I pay it every year and I still don't remember. I believe it is 30 dollars for a year. Well worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUpackersfan View Post
    The Packers had a great season in my book, especially when considering the adversity they faced all year. Alot of teams would have crumbled but guys stepped up and got us to another division title and a playoff win. We have a great core of young layers who should still improve. With a couple more added pieces (in TT we trust), I have no doubt that we'll see Rodgers holding up the Lombardi again. Go Pack Go!
    I really like your outlook. I knew people were going to be pissed after that effort last night but it isn't all bad. The defense needs adjustments and a few pieces but hopefully can be fixed over the offseason. It lost some key players. I don't think some people realized how big the loss to Perry and Bishop were for this defense. I never want to see Walden wear Green and Gold again. I am still just stunned that people were saying he was playing good at points this year. His PFF grade says it all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    I really like your outlook. I knew people were going to be pissed after that effort last night but it isn't all bad. The defense needs adjustments and a few pieces but hopefully can be fixed over the offseason. It lost some key players. I don't think some people realized how big the loss to Perry and Bishop were for this defense. I never want to see Walden wear Green and Gold again. I am still just stunned that people were saying he was playing good at points this year. His PFF grade says it all.
    Thanks man, as a fan I try to be optimistic, it takes the fun out of watching the game when you're all doom and gloom. But I agree everything you said, with a few good picks, a healthy and improved Perry, Bishop and Bulaga back from injury, I think our defense will make a big leap and Rodgers will make more plays. Im excited to see what TT and co. will do and fully expect an improved team.

vCash
    I think Harris did a great job but I would love for them to draft Lacy from Alabama. Those two together. Would make a great tandem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duncky1188 View Post
    I think Harris did a great job but I would love for them to draft Lacy from Alabama. Those two together. Would make a great tandem
    I kind of agree. I think they could make a very good 1-2 punch. I mean neither are guaranteed but Harris has looked really good in limited action and Lacy could be really good value if drafted at the right spot. I just couldn't see spending a first on a RB in this league.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast