Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    364
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The manster View Post
    It's no secret JJ is a fan of Gruden, and Kiffin was his DC. They did win a Superbowl together.

    I'm not saying that this is what's happening but I think the pieces of the puzzle are in place where if JJ is not satisfied with JG after next season, Gruden can walk in and have a somewhat of a comfort zone with Kiffin and his tampa 2 already in place for a season.
    I agree!

    Read this rumor on Gruden and Kiffen a couple days ago... We will see... JJ sould have fired Garrett at the end of the season anyway!

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    87
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Austin View Post
    Yes, I understand that Bruce Carter will be playing a different position. But he's a tremendous athlete with great speed for a linebacker. You're acting like every position has to be a playmaker which obviously would be nice. However, in reality that's not the case. I never said playmaker but I did said "upgrade" that doesn't mean that player will be a pro-bowl caliber player, but would be a better player then what we have this year.
    Please give me some options on who could fill into these spots so that our defense won't get stomped all next year? Mind you Claiborne and Carr do not fit a tampa 2 scheme same as #94 who will be coming off of an offseason of rehab without being able to learn the new scheme? You're acting like we will be able to find enough playmakers for this defense to work, and that the playmakers we already have will be able to easily adapt to this new scheme? We have serious money dedicated to our corners all of which are man to man defenders not zone scheme cover guys?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    87
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bhooks80 View Post
    i disagree completely. We have 2 of those, Carter and Ratliff (if healthy) also not sure if you have checked out Hatchers PFF ratings. He was 4th highest rated 3-4 DE in front of Justin Smith per PFF. His disruption was evident.

    With Hatcher and a healthy Ratliff you have a very talented 1-2 punch. Carter is one of, if not the most athletic LB in the NFL. He will fit better as a WILB than a 3-4 ILB, IMO. He might even be better as a Mike than Lee in this system.

    Also just to clarify, the Tampa 2 turns into a 3 deep, 4 under, 4 man rush alignment because the Mike LB covers the inside seems. So it turns into a Cover 3 using the MLB to drop into more coverage. I can see how Kiffin could use some exotic scheme to sub Barry Church or more notably T.J. McDonald as the Mike.

    The Cover 2, would rely more on a "playmaking FS" as you stated. Not the Tampa 2, which requires more versatile LB's... Which would obviously make our personnel perfect for the switch.

    You do remember who Ratliff is correct? He will have a huge year next year if healthy. This is exactly the type of scheme that he is built for.

    This is the perfect Defense currently for our Personnel. However, we do need to find a FS or have Matt Johnson turn into a player. We also need to find a "Sam".

    3-4 immediate needs: NT/DE/FS
    4-3 immediate needs: FS/SLB
    You make some good points, however our 4 most consistent defenders throughout this season were Ware, Spencer, Carr, and Clairborne. Ware will have no offseason to learn the scheme, Kiffins hiring assures Spencer is gone, and Carr and Claiborne are man to man press corners. Not one of these guys will be better suited in this scheme. So therefore we will be relying on Carter who made it through half a season as a key playmaker, Ratliff who has disappeared since his contract season, and our inept safeties to make plays. I understand some of our players are better fit to this, but not our key defenders.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    9,717
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney2424 View Post
    I understand that, but hiring Kiffin has to have a greater meaning. Our skill players do not fit this scheme whatsoever outside of Sean Lee. A great tampa 2 scheme needs a DT that commands double teams, a weak side backer that can cover the field, and a ball hawk safety who can make plays (none of the 3 do we have....)If we keep garrett and run the same predictable offensive scheme paired with this tampa 2 style. I fear we will take a step back next season, JJ is pretty stupid but I hope not this stupid.
    I disagree, I think our defense will end up fitting very well into Kiffin's Tampa 2 or whatever he'll use here. Keep in mind this is only January, we haven't signed any free agents or drafted any players out of college.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Austin View Post
    This.

    But we could still upgrade the DE position.
    I know one thing the Cowboys love Crawford as a 4-3 DE, I think there is a ton of optimism there for him to develop into a gifted starter.

    I do think that we might go out and sign a vet DE such as Osi to rotate with Crawford in year one if there is contract value there. Also we need to develop some Depth at DT/DE.

    It sucks that we can't pay Spencer a long term contract, without seeing him play DE. That is why I see the Boys for sure "franchising" him again.
    Maybe taking as low as a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him or risk paying him the $10 million and seeing if he is worth the contract as a DE.

    Dwight Freeney is a FA and he might be able to be had for a relatively short contract (3 yrs) with a low annual salary and higher signing bonus in year one. This would be cheaper than signing Spencer and better long term to draft DE depth and develop Crawford behind Freeney. Freeney and Ware would be pretty entertaining to watch. If Osi is healthy I would love to see him in passing situations with Ware. Osi is horrible vs. the run but this scheme would allow him to do what he does best which is rush the passer.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Friendswood, TX
    Posts
    2,803
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney2424 View Post
    You make some good points, however our 4 most consistent defenders throughout this season were Ware, Spencer, Carr, and Clairborne. Ware will have no offseason to learn the scheme, Kiffins hiring assures Spencer is gone, and Carr and Claiborne are man to man press corners. Not one of these guys will be better suited in this scheme. So therefore we will be relying on Carter who made it through half a season as a key playmaker, Ratliff who has disappeared since his contract season, and our inept safeties to make plays. I understand some of our players are better fit to this, but not our key defenders.
    Literally Ware's job is going to be beat the LT off the edge and rush the passer.
    It is very simple for the DE's.
    Last edited by bhooks80; 01-13-2013 at 11:29 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas Baby
    Posts
    4,593
    vCash
    1500
    I hope he pushes Garrett out, because if Garrett is not willing to give up play calling duties he needs to leave. Garrett is out coached on a regual basis and his play calling is horrible and he doesn't know how to gameplan.
    Time to get swole baby ooooo yea back in the gym

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Austin View Post
    Isn't Spencer kind of small for a DE?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Posts
    1,969
    vCash
    1500
    JJ needs to be direct! JG isn't safe. If JJ is willing to fire a back to back SB winner, a back to back 8-8 product isn't safe from being fired.

    IMO we will be fine with the changes to 4-3 Tampa defense. It's not like our DB's were shining playing 12 yards off. I believe the fundamentals of tackling and executing consistently on defense is more key to anything else. We did a poor job of tackling this season and have been consistent in seasons past in this department will make a big difference. I believe Kiffin is the perfect man for the job.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,577
    vCash
    1500
    JJ could just come right out and fre Garrett...although it wouldn't surprise me if he fires him like 2 weeks before he draft, I really don't think he will do that...Garrett will coach this season under a year long hot-seat...safe to say 8-8 wont cut it...a playoff birth might not either
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    650
    vCash
    1500
    I really don't get this whole JJ is trying to push JG out situation. JJ is rich beyond belief, so why wouldn't he just fire JG? Makes no sense, unless JJ is just a narcissist. Oh, wait.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NE Penna (God's Country)
    Posts
    26,502
    vCash
    1500
    If JJ was going to fire Garrett, it would have happened already...but, if he is STILL going to do it, he will maximize the media attention that he gets as a result,,,,say, next weekend when the Pro Bowlers are getting ready to play?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    745
    vCash
    1500
    I think JG stays for 2013. However, if the Cowboys have another 8-8 season, JG's gone. And the next puppet comes in.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    23,432
    vCash
    1500
    I'd bet quite a bit of money John Gruden is coaching this team sometime in the next 18 months. Jerry is installing his safety net as we speak, hiring all of Gruden's staff for him.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NE Penna (God's Country)
    Posts
    26,502
    vCash
    1500
    I just wonder how many unofficial conversations JJ has had with Gruden already...this just looks way too obvious...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •