Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Luongo a class act

Despite the crap that was written about him in the finals two years ago, Luu has always been a complete class act. He's been amazing considering the situation he is in right now. These thoughts from Schneider:

“That’s the thing about this league,” Schneider said, “there’s always somebody trying to take your job. It happens to everyone at some point. It’s how you carry yourself, and how you act as a teammate and as a friend. Lu is great in both those regards. … He’s just been very very – I don’t know if humble is the word – but just graceful in all of this.”
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7233339/

Most importantly, these thoughts from Luongo:

“I told him [Gillis] I was ready to go as long as it took, whether that’s a couple days, next week, two weeks, or at the end of the season, it’s totally fine with me,” Luongo said.
    And this is why I don't think Gillis is under as much pressure as fans who are looking for a fire sale think he is.

vCash
    I agree. He should wait until the right deal comes along and until then we have the best goaltending in the league.

vCash
    Goes back to what I said in the other thread on the line up's. The guy just doesn't give the intension that he wants to leave even though the perverbial line in the sand is drawn. He's been put out to pasture and he still has something to prove. There are so many teams that can do worse than Roberto. His contract is what it is and he cannot be faulted for signing it.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Anybody notice how differently Luongo is talking about mistakes? He's taking full responsibility this year.

"I thought we played hard as a team," Luongo said. "I thought we deserved to win. Unfortunately it came down to a shootout and I wasn't able to make any saves there.

"Both guys deviated from their usual moves. I followed them both but they really beat me, I've got to at least make one of those saves."

Luongo also said he was caught out of position on Jordan Eberle's neat backhander with four seconds left in the second period that cut Vancouver's lead to 2-1.

"I was looking at the clock," he said. "I wasn't too sure, I was trying to cover the short side there and wasn't really square and then he just fired it back in under the bar.

"On both goals I thought I could have done a better job to make a save. They were not necessarily great plays that they made but unfortunately my timing on the rush right now has got to be a bit better than what it's been."
    http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...296/story.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Anybody notice how differently Luongo is talking about mistakes? He's taking full responsibility this year.

Well, watched both games this weekend, and especially the home-opener against the Ducks, Schneider played horribly. It seems that the Canucks play a better defensive game when Lu's in net. Scheids was hung out to dry against the Ducks. But as soon as Lu replaced him, the rest of the team tightened things up.

Does anyone feel that maybe Gillis should hang on to Lu and trade Schneider? I know, this is a knee-jerk reaction to the games over the weekend. No time to panic or anything, but Schneids just looked overwhelmed.

Here's my thinking: Lu is a very good goalie and has won some huge games (winning Gold in the Olympics, getting the Nucks to the SCF, back-to-back Pres trophies, Jennings winner). Schneider is still umproven as a starter and the Canucks are gambling on him taking that next big step and filling Lu's shoes. Lot of pressure on goalies to play in Vancouver, can he handle it? Lu won't get the Canucks what they want in a trade, his contract is diffiuclt. Schneids would get the Canucks a much better return IMO.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ink; 01-21-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: fixed quote code

vCash
    ^^ Whatever it takes. I like both goalies.

IMO the "goalie controversy" is just a distraction away from our real controversy: the fact that outside of the Sedins this team blows offensively. We need talent and we need to get younger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    ^^ Whatever it takes. I like both goalies.

IMO the "goalie controversy" is just a distraction away from our real controversy: the fact that outside of the Sedins this team blows offensively. We need talent and we need to get younger.
    Agreed. The Canucks have too many 4th liners trying to be 2nd and 3rd liners. Of course the injuries to Kesler and Booth hurt, but they can't rely on Wiese, Ebbett and Volpatti to fill those spots. Burrows has looked very plain, when he's noticed at all. Higgins hasn't done much. Malhotra's days seem to be winding down too. The Sedins are getting older and it sort of shows they're declining. Our defense looks good, although I noticed some errors from Ballard last night. Not sure why he even played in the OT.

Booth has been a disappointment since arriving. I hope he's able to provide 2nd line offense when he returns.