Quote Originally Posted by blujaysrock View Post
You could say that I guess, but I disagree. Our defense wants our DTs to get up field, whether he overpenetrates or not, the LBs still need to fill the gaps, which they fail to do. Also I can't even count the number of times Suh pressure the QB to roll out only to have either KVB or Avril no where to be found to get the sack. You have to remember, Gunthers version of the wide-9 is like 95+% of the time only rushing 4, so the D line needs to get up the field. LBs are just failing to fill the gaps.

That's my take on it anyways , he played much, much better against the run this year than his previous two and definitely more disciplined imo (both about over penetrating and not taking dumb penalties).

I also assume you've got that information from what Warren Sapp said about him. I highly suggest you read this article; http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._coordi_7.html
Take this stat however you want, but statistically in 2012 the Lions are the 5th hardest team to run up the middle against. 2011 they were 7th best. 2010 they were 28th best. 2009 they were 26th best. So the DT's, including Suh, must have been doing something right the last 2 seasons

The big runs against the Lions get noticed because the linebackers suck as the Lions are 29th worst in the NFL in 2nd level yards (Second Level Yards: Yards earned by opposing running backs against this team between 5-10 yards past the line of scrimmage, divided by total running back carries.). Lions are 2nd best in stuff percentage (Percentage of runs where the running back is tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage), meaning the Lions d-line stops the opposing runningback behind the line of scrimmage more than all but one other team in the NFL.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl2012

It's the linebackers and safeties that suck. Put Patrick Willis in there and no one notices the few times the opposing running backs actually break the LOS (which doesn't happen often).