Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It might take a year off of football and into the real world to make this guy understand what he gave up. I think if we just signed him right away he won't learn anything and destroy our locker room in the mean time. But I admit this is tempting only because then we can focus on other positions in the draft.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    You know I don't know a whole lot about Titus but he intrigues me. Our FO will do their homework and the only reason I would consider even bringing this guy in is because we have pretty good leadership guys. Starting with Frazier at the top. Now that being said...how would Young and Harvin get along? That could be bad but could be good. That's the risk, lol.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    On top of that he's likely looking at a max of a 1 year deal anyways so their likely wouldn't be that financial risk. You sign him for 1 year...draft a guy or two at WR and then make the decision from there.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    Williams leaves the Eskimos with 111 tackles and 11 interceptions in those three years, with his best season coming in 2011, when he had six picks
    Interesting signing but it looks like there could be some potential with him. There was no details on the terms of the contract. Good to see that we are not going to settle with our current secondary and try to improve one of our new found strengths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Very true but he has had quite a few chances already. I couldn't imagine the damage he would do combined with Percy Harvin in our locker room.
    Percy would look like an angel next to Titus Young lol As soon as I saw his name on rotoworld I knew I would find a Titus Young discussion going on in this thread. All I'm going to say to this kid is no thanks.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauer.400 View Post
    Interesting signing but it looks like there could be some potential with him. There was no details on the terms of the contract. Good to see that we are not going to settle with our current secondary and try to improve one of our new found strengths.
    Just watched some of his highlights.... Already looks better then Sherels.

vCash
    Titus Young-now this is our answer. He would come cheap, give us a legit outside WR with huge potential. Young isn't just a burner, he is a great route runner, and he has a talent for making the spectacular catch and getting the ball over a defender. He kind of reminds me of another troubled WR we took a chance on. HOF Chris Carter.

I think we have the leadership (Frazier and AD) on offense to make this kid a fit. He wants the ball, well here is your chance to be the #1 WR. So what he punched a teammate in practice it happens a few times a year in training camp. The Vikings had their own player fights last training camp..

vCash
    When it comes to free agent guards it's pretty thin besides Andy Levitre. We might actually be better keeping our current line together or just focusing on the draft for upgrades. We might be better keeping our line together because while he struggled at times, Fusco does have the talent to be a starter (technique needs to be better) and I think we could gut another season of Charlie Johnson. I only say this because our wide receivers, linebackers and defensive tackles look like bigger needs.

There is a pretty solid group of free agent d-tackles we could pursue. Stealing Henry Melton away from Chicago will be very difficult and probably unlikely but he would be a great fit. I also wouldn't mind taking a shot with Glenn Dorsey of the Chiefs. He started 65 games with the Chiefs and was serviceable against the run but many things I have read say he belongs in a 4-3 and was out of place in the Chiefs 3-4 scheme. Guion is no better than a solid rotational lineman and Evans is a good pass rusher so a guy like Dorsey could fit in and probably wouldn't cost that much money. Richard Seymour is an interesting name but doesn't fit the direction this team is headed. Terrance Knighton and Alan Branch could also be options. Regardless there should be options for us in free agency.

As for our linebackers the market appears thin as well. Philip Wheeler would be an upgrade over Erin Henderson but he may not hit the market. Daryl Smith of the Jags is a nice player and graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 outside linebacker in 2011 but he's going to be 31 and missed all but 2 game last season. Rey Maualuga doesn't make sense because he can't defend the pass and we already have Jasper Brinkley who is in the same mold. Brian Urlacher would be awesome to have from a leadership stand point and as a big f you to the Bears lol

For the most part I really like our corners for next season but if we decide to go after somebody I would love Sean Smith of the Dolphins. I doubt we target him because his strengths are similar to Chris Cook as they are bigger guys with skill. More than likely we will draft for more depth at corner. I'd like to find a ball hawking safety to play next to Harrison Smith and guys like William Moore, Dashon Goldson, and Jarius Byrd fit that bill but they aren't likely to hit the market. I wouldn't be surprised to see another year of Sanford and Raymond splitting duties.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloInfinity View Post
    Titus Young-now this is our answer. He would come cheap, give us a legit outside WR with huge potential. Young isn't just a burner, he is a great route runner, and he has a talent for making the spectacular catch and getting the ball over a defender. He kind of reminds me of another troubled WR we took a chance on. HOF Chris Carter.

I think we have the leadership (Frazier and AD) on offense to make this kid a fit. He wants the ball, well here is your chance to be the #1 WR. So what he punched a teammate in practice it happens a few times a year in training camp. The Vikings had their own player fights last training camp..
    It wasn't during practice it was during a workout and he sucker punched Louis Delmas. He also purposely ran the wrong routes during a game. Plus he's only 5'11 174, not the ideal marks for a #1 receiver. No thanks.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Just watched some of his highlights.... Already looks better then Sherels.
    I can definitely agree with that, he looks to have quite a bit of feel for the ball too which allows him to make some big plays. Once again this is just another one of Spielman's low risk high reward signings. He costs us absolutely nothing besides a little cap space and he performed at an All-Star level in the CFL. Not saying that CFL talent is similar to NFL players, but I love giving these guys something to prove

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauer.400 View Post
    I can definitely agree with that, he looks to have quite a bit of feel for the ball too which allows him to make some big plays. Once again this is just another one of Spielman's low risk high reward signings. He costs us absolutely nothing besides a little cap space and he performed at an All-Star level in the CFL. Not saying that CFL talent is similar to NFL players, but I love giving these guys something to prove
    Lol Sherels is going to have a tough time getting over the flaming that he got the last real snaps he took, however he still remains primarily a return guy. I wish that Sherels had come along though, I remember him baiting Charlie Whitehurst into throwing him a pick a few pre-seasons ago.

Anyhow this guy Williams' primary competition will be from Nicholas Taylor, Bobby Felder and Greg McCoy. Brandon Burton could get some heat from these guys too.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Lol Sherels is going to have a tough time getting over the flaming that he got the last real snaps he took, however he still remains primarily a return guy. I wish that Sherels had come along though, I remember him baiting Charlie Whitehurst into throwing him a pick a few pre-seasons ago.

Anyhow this guy Williams' primary competition will be from Nicholas Taylor, Bobby Felder and Greg McCoy. Brandon Burton could get some heat from these guys too.
    I think Sherel's could honestly be serviceable if he was given a consistant number of snaps in the slot. Its tough having to come in against Aaron Rodgers and an already hot offense that features a number of bigger WR's. It is still Sherel's job to be ready to take the field at any moment, but I can understand giving him another chance given these circumstances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    When it comes to free agent guards it's pretty thin besides Andy Levitre. We might actually be better keeping our current line together or just focusing on the draft for upgrades. We might be better keeping our line together because while he struggled at times, Fusco does have the talent to be a starter (technique needs to be better) and I think we could gut another season of Charlie Johnson. I only say this because our wide receivers, linebackers and defensive tackles look like bigger needs.

There is a pretty solid group of free agent d-tackles we could pursue. Stealing Henry Melton away from Chicago will be very difficult and probably unlikely but he would be a great fit. I also wouldn't mind taking a shot with Glenn Dorsey of the Chiefs. He started 65 games with the Chiefs and was serviceable against the run but many things I have read say he belongs in a 4-3 and was out of place in the Chiefs 3-4 scheme. Guion is no better than a solid rotational lineman and Evans is a good pass rusher so a guy like Dorsey could fit in and probably wouldn't cost that much money. Richard Seymour is an interesting name but doesn't fit the direction this team is headed. Terrance Knighton and Alan Branch could also be options. Regardless there should be options for us in free agency.

As for our linebackers the market appears thin as well. Philip Wheeler would be an upgrade over Erin Henderson but he may not hit the market. Daryl Smith of the Jags is a nice player and graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 outside linebacker in 2011 but he's going to be 31 and missed all but 2 game last season. Rey Maualuga doesn't make sense because he can't defend the pass and we already have Jasper Brinkley who is in the same mold. Brian Urlacher would be awesome to have from a leadership stand point and as a big f you to the Bears lol

For the most part I really like our corners for next season but if we decide to go after somebody I would love Sean Smith of the Dolphins. I doubt we target him because his strengths are similar to Chris Cook as they are bigger guys with skill. More than likely we will draft for more depth at corner. I'd like to find a ball hawking safety to play next to Harrison Smith and guys like William Moore, Dashon Goldson, and Jarius Byrd fit that bill but they aren't likely to hit the market. I wouldn't be surprised to see another year of Sanford and Raymond splitting duties.
    Sean Smith would be a perfect fit. It was so funny watching him chew up Chad Johnson when the practiced. I've watched him for a while now.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Yeah I wasn't aware Smith was available. I've been a fan of him since he came to Miami. I always thought he was underrated and overlooked. To me he was the better corner to Vontae Davis when they were there together. If we could get him to start opposite Cook that would give us an advantage due to their size. I don't know what to think about Josh Robinson, but I'm not confident he'll ever be able to start on the outside yet. Not saying he won't or can't but we shouldn't just bank on that happening until he can prove it.

vCash
    I doubt we pursue Sean Smith however. According to Armando Sagluero of the Miami Herald, Dolphins cornerback Sean Smith will look to strike it big in free agency and land a contract that will pay him $8-$10 million per season.

There's no doubt in my mind he's a legit #1 corner with elite ability. From what I read though the Dolphins still see him as a player with unmet potential. They do not see him as a game-changer or playmaker. Some other team will likely pay him more than they are willing because good corners, and corners with size, are always in demand. Those types of cornerbacks are making roughly around $10 million per season. Brandon Carr’s five-year $50 million deal with Dallas and Jason McCourty’s 5-year, $43 million deal to stay in Tennesee prove this. Carr is averaging $10 million a year while McCourty is averaging $8.6 million per year.

I bet Smith is viewed as a Carr type talent among the NFL. Smith (6'3") is notably taller than Carr (6'0") but possesses the same type of skill set to blanket receivers and get a hand in to deflect passes. Coming off a decent season with 59 tackles, 3 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions I expect him to get a nice offer from some teams desperate for corner help. I think we'll see him sign a contract similar to that of Carr's Dallas deal. Smith and Carr had very similar numbers in their first four seasons. Carr never missed any games, where Smith has missed some time but over four season Smith has 211 tackles, 40 pass deflections, and 5 INT's. Carr in the same span of seasons, accounted for 237 tackles, 65 PDef, and 8 INT's with the Chiefs before signing with Dallas last year.

I doubt the Vikings will want to pay a corner that much but it would be nice to see Smith and Carr paired on the outside and god knows we could use it playing in our division facing some of the leagues most dangerous passing attacks. Top QB's and Top WR's everywhere.

Page 25 of 71 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast