Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    This is turning into a classic straw man argument with neither of you listening to anything I am saying. I never once said that he can't throw past 40 yards, I said that it is not what he is good at, and he isn't. I am very sorry that you can't seem to accept that Chrisitan Ponder's arm strength is just not as good as some other QBs in the NFL, Ponder is inconsistent on deep throws. Put Wallace together with that and its exceedingly less likely that we get the return you think we're going to get on the $50 mil were going to pay him. Kind of like signing Nnamdi Asomugha and telling him to play zone (great job Eagles), or trading for Revis and moving him to free safety.

The hidden gold in Ponder's game is going to be in the intermediate passes that were +20 yards that he couldn't complete this year because of drops ect. Get better WRs (which can be had for less than $10+ million per year) should easily help in this department. We'll still be taking the odd long shot down the field with Ponder but I do not expect the consistency here to improve because so far what I have seen of him in his career, we're up against his physical limitations as a player.

Also, obviously different eras and everything, but the best QB who ever played for our team couldn't throw a ball more than 50 yards (and he knew it), I'd like to see anyone call him a bad QB.
    And you appear to have not grasped the fact that Wallace can run every route. You for some reason just think all he does is run deep routes. He is a complete WR. Asking him to run 20 yard routes would not be an issue. If we were to sign him it would be nothing like trading for Revis and moving him to safety. That comparison makes absolutely no sense. No one in here is talking about signing Wallace and moving him to another position. I have not seen one post stating that.

Is this a deep route? http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...llace-51-yd-TD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles24 View Post
    Let me ask you guys this.... Can Christian Ponder win us a superbowl(s)? If you answered yes, then we should keep him regardless if he can excel at the long ball. If you answered no, then we are in trouble.
    Right now the answer for me is no. Once we get him some actual NFL caliber WRs my answer may change.

vCash
    There's no way we will be able to keep Percy long term and sign Mike Wallace for the money he will want. If 5 years 50 million wasn't enough for him then he is already out of our price range. This is why I think we are more likely to settle for a 2nd tier receiver like Brian Hartline or a 3rd tier risk like Ramses Barden.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    And you appear to have not grasped the fact that Wallace can run every route. You for some reason just think all he does is run deep routes. He is a complete WR. Asking him to run 20 yard routes would not be an issue. If we were to sign him it would be nothing like trading for Revis and moving him to safety. That comparison makes absolutely no sense. No one in here is talking about signing Wallace and moving him to another position. I have not seen one post stating that.

Is this a deep route? http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...llace-51-yd-TD
    Why are we going to pay him $50+ million if we're can't use him for what he's best at, it makes no sense. If you guys aren't understanding yet Mike Wallace is going to get paid that much money because he IS one of the best deep threats in football. Signing him and putting him in a situation where we'er going to be very challenged to use him as such does not make sense (just like putting Revis in as a free safety).
    Last edited by 100%CHEESE FREE; 02-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%CHEESE FREE View Post
    Why are we going to pay him $50+ million if we're can't use him for what he's best at, it makes no sense.
    He is an all around great WR for christ sakes! How many times to I have to say it! Open your eyes and read!

Like I have said many times I don't think we will have the money to sign him but he would fit in our system. He would fit in any system.

vCash
    He is an all around great WR for christ sakes! How many times to I have to say it! Open your eyes and read!

Like I have said many times I don't think we will have the money to sign him but he would fit in our system. He would fit in any system.
    Eh Wallace is a pretty good receiver but great? I don't think so. Calvin Johnson/Brandon Marshall/AJ Green/Andre Johnson, those are great receivers. Wallace isn't in that class of receivers.

I agree he is more than just a deep guy like most are saying, he can do a lot of things but he isn't an elite game changing receiver like the guys I mentioned. Heck he wasn't even the best receiver on his own team. Very good player yes but he isn't great.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Not a jab at anyone on here but if the best we can do is Hartline or Barden then we're dead before we get started next season. I like Wallace but not at $50 million. Jennings to Miami seems likely. Bowe will also be too expensive for us as well. We need to add WR thru the draft. LB scares me as much as WR. I think we have to look hard at Manti, Ogletree or Minter if they are there at #23. I would love to see the Vikes go hard after Paul Kruger in FA. If Percy doesn't want to be here, trade him to NE for their 1st and 3rd stock up on young WR's. Just my thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    There's no way we will be able to keep Percy long term and sign Mike Wallace for the money he will want. If 5 years 50 million wasn't enough for him then he is already out of our price range. This is why I think we are more likely to settle for a 2nd tier receiver like Brian Hartline or a 3rd tier risk like Ramses Barden.
    Yeah, the likelihood for this is much higher.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Tubby View Post
    Not a jab at anyone on here but if the best we can do is Hartline or Barden then we're dead before we get started next season. I like Wallace but not at $50 million. Jennings to Miami seems likely. Bowe will also be too expensive for us as well. We need to add WR thru the draft. LB scares me as much as WR. I think we have to look hard at Manti, Ogletree or Minter if they are there at #23. I would love to see the Vikes go hard after Paul Kruger in FA. If Percy doesn't want to be here, trade him to NE for their 1st and 3rd stock up on young WR's. Just my thoughts.
    I think that if you couple Hartline and Barden with some guys we draft we won't be dead in the water at all. Hell if we had one of those guys on our team I think our passing game could open up.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Eh Wallace is a pretty good receiver but great? I don't think so. Calvin Johnson/Brandon Marshall/AJ Green/Andre Johnson, those are great receivers. Wallace isn't in that class of receivers.

I agree he is more than just a deep guy like most are saying, he can do a lot of things but he isn't an elite game changing receiver like the guys I mentioned. Heck he wasn't even the best receiver on his own team. Very good player yes but he isn't great.
    It depends on what you consider great. I would consider Wallace great and those WRs you mentioned elite. In my book elite would be better then great. Would you not consider Wallace a top 15 WR? I would.

vCash
    Hartline is not worth the 5-6 million he is asking for. I would rather sign guys like David Nelson, Kevin Ogletree, Ramses Barden.... etc if we are not going to pursue a top tier free agent.

vCash
    The question of whether we should sign Wallace for all that money instead of Harvin is a valid debate, but whether Wallace would make Christian a much better QB or would he be effective in this offense is not even questionable.

If we could somehow work out extending Harvin and bringing in Wallace that would be wild....If i was GM and had to choose one though i'd go with extending Harvin...There's always a ton of fast and talented WR's that can do what Wallace does in the draft, but not many can do what Percy does with the ball in his hands on both offense and special teams

vCash
    It depends on what you consider great. I would consider Wallace great and those WRs you mentioned elite. In my book elite would be better then great. Would you not consider Wallace a top 15 WR? I would.
    Probably not. I think he's more somewhere in the top 25-30.

In no particular order, just some guys I like better:

Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Jordy Nelson, Vincent Jackson, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks (when healthy), Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtee, Stevie Johnson, Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson.
    Last edited by vikingsfan0845; 02-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.

- Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Hartline is not worth the 5-6 million he is asking for. I would rather sign guys like David Nelson, Kevin Ogletree, Ramses Barden.... etc if we are not going to pursue a top tier free agent.
    There is not a lot of good info out there but Nelson is actually an RFA so (unless for some bizarre reason he's non-tendered) that means we're shelling out a draft pick which just won't happen. Ogletree and Barden are similar as far as only having one really great performance. Both guys were stuck behind really good WRs for most of their careers so its hard to say how good they are.

I like Barden most of all though, put him up against Jenkins (after he takes a pay cut) in camp and see what happens.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

vCash
    Probably not. I think he's more somewhere in the top 25-30.

In no particular order, just some guys I like better:

Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Jordy Nelson, Vincent Jackson, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks (when healthy), Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Crabtee, Stevie Johnson, Torrey Smith, Antonio Brown, Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson.
    My top 20 list would probably be something like this:

1. Calvin Johnson
    2. Larry Fitzgerald
    3. AJ Green
    4. Brandon Marshall
    5. Andre Johnson
    6. Roddy White
    7. Vincent Jackson
    8. Reggie Wayne
    9. Julio Jones
    10. Dez Bryant
    11. Demaryius Thomas