Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 Free Agency and Trade Thread (News, Articles, Ideas etc)(6)

As is the tradition around here I have started a new thread for free agency and trades since the last one has passed 1,000 posts. Enjoy.

vCash
    Matt Moore - QB - Dolphins
    Jan 13 - 8:09 AM

Free agent Matt Moore has informed the Dolphins that he plans to test the open market barring an "incredible offer" from Miami.

He won't get an incredible offer from the Fins, so free agency it will be. Moore, 28, recorded a 16:9 TD-to-INT ratio, 7.2 YPA, and 60.5 completion rate across 12 starts in 2011. Although he is better suited to a backup role, there are enough QB-needy teams around the NFL that Moore should generate interest.

Source: Miami Herald
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS View Post
    Matt Moore - QB - Dolphins
    Jan 13 - 8:09 AM
    And that's just it, Moore is probably the best FA QB on the market right now. The FA market is so bad I could see McNob getting noticed at a gym and trying to make it look like he's staging a comeback, lol.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    cool story
    Faithless is He That Says Farewell When the Path Darkens...

vCash
    I would like to see us go after alex smith

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsMadness44 View Post
    I would like to see us go after alex smith
    Ehh, he doesnt do much for me...

vCash
    Im kind of interested to sign a DT like Alan Branch or Glen Dorsey, I'd let Jamarca go and sign a Kenny Phillips or Willy Moore. CB isnt a huge need but i'd love DRC. In my opinion those arent huge splash signings but nice solid starters. Idk just throwing some names out there.

vCash
    I wouldn't mind Alex Smith as a backup at the right price but I doubt he goes anywhere to be a backup. More than likely somebody will give him a shot at being a starter.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I like Chase Daniel. Very smart QB and has learned under one of the NFL's greats in Drew Brees. Chase has a good arm and is a better QB than Ponder. Ponder will get better, but Chase would make for a solid, solid backup, if not someone who can take over if it gets bad again. I do like the Idea of Alan Branch or Glen Dorsey. Thing is, what is going to happen to K-Williams? I bet they restructure and bring him back. That's cool and all but he needs a HUGE upgrade next to him.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I wouldn't mind Alex Smith as a backup at the right price but I doubt he goes anywhere to be a backup. More than likely somebody will give him a shot at being a starter.
    The reason i have little interest in him is he will be to much $ for us to be a backup. There is no chance we sign him so he is eh, dont care.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel0227 View Post
    I like Chase Daniel. Very smart QB and has learned under one of the NFL's greats in Drew Brees. Chase has a good arm and is a better QB than Ponder. Ponder will get better, but Chase would make for a solid, solid backup, if not someone who can take over if it gets bad again.
    While I wouldn't quite say Daniel is the 'veteran' backup I wanted to see us bring in (replacing Webb) I wouldn't be upset with bringing him in here as Ponder's backup / eventual competition because he does have that upside and could end up being our starting franchise QB possibly. That is one benefit to bringing him in over a older veteran QB who may be more experienced as a starter in the league.

I wonder what kind of contract he'll want? He just signed a 1 year 1 Million dollar contract with New Orleans ($700,000 base with signing bonus of $300,000). I would imagine he's looking for a team where he'll;

A) have the chance to compete for the starting spot.
    B) has a relative weak current starting QB (He's not going to leave New Orleans just to go backup Rodgers or some other elite QB).
    C) will give him a multiyear/multi-million dollar contract.

I think the Vikings can definitely fulfill two out of those three things, if not all three. If he could accept a modest raise of about $2 million per year with a good chance at a starting opportunity down the road I think we could bring him in.

He never really got a chance as a starter because of his height, but as Brees himself has proven, short guys can be NFL stars. There are a lot of guys around the league now, like Russell Wilson in Seattle, that are "short" who are getting it done. And like everyone has said learning behind Brees and more so Sean Payton can only be good for his game. Last year Daniel's agent, Jeff Nalley, said Daniel might have had more options if he had decided to test out the open market, but he felt like another year of developing under Coach Sean Payton and starting QB Drew Brees would be the best thing for his career. This year, he thinks he can be a starter and wants that opportunity. "I feel like I can be a starter in this league. Not only from my time in the preseason but my time around Drew and how I play in practice and I how I prepare." Daniel said.

Daniel was excellent in college. A Heisman Trophy finalist and Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year in 2007/08 he took the Missouri Tigers to new heights (they were one game away from a BCS National Championship Game appearance). After originally signing with the Washington Redskins as an undrafted free agent in 2009, Daniel joined the Saints following training camp, was on their practice squad before serving as the club's third quarterback and eventually he was playing well enough to serve as Drew Brees' primary backup.

He worked hard on the practice field, in the meeting room and in the weight room as he's continued his progress and development at the quarterback position. He earned his way up the roster and has served as Drew Brees' backup the past two seasons in addition to serving as the team's holder for extra points and field goals. Over the past two seasons, Daniel has appeared in 29 games but hasn't got much playing time playing in relief of Brees in three regular season contests.

Daniel has seen his most extensive action in the 2010 and 2011 preseasons, where he's completed 59-of-101 passes for 816 yards with seven touchdown passes and four interceptions. In the 2011, preseason, he completed 28-of-53 throws for 447 yards with three touchdown passes, one interception and a 92.3 passer rating. He completed 15-of-21 passes for 182 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception against the Texans in a preseason game. How's that for efficiency? At one point, Daniel had three straight completions for 104 yards, highlighted by a perfect deep ball to Adrian Arrington.

Could the fourth year player be ready to break out? Matt Schaub went from backup in Atlanta to starter in Houston and is still one of the better QB's in the league. I'm not saying I see the same path for Daniel. He hasn't shown nearly as much as Schaub did before he got his opportunity but he hasn't really been given a chance to either. Bottom line for us though is we need a better backup QB, someone waiting in the wings to give our team hope and confidence in case anything happens to Ponder again. The Vikings need to have a guy behind him that gives them a chance to win.

Personally, I don't see Daniel ever being anything more than a backup in this league, but teams are always willing to go after backups who have sat and learned (Matt Flynn ring a bell? Don't blame him for Russell Wilson blowing up.) Especially so when they've learned from offensive geniuses and behind great starting QB's in front of them. He has been groomed by Sean Payton and Pete Carmichael, two people who are paramount in how Brees has become an elite QB.

After thia latest craze of rushing QB's has sweeped the NFL bringing in a QB who can not only pass but run is something we should look to do. I am not calling Daniel the second coming of RGIII, Russell Wilson, or Colin Kaepernick but he is mobile enough to run that type of offense well but he also, and most importantly, can be a competent passer. Ponder and Webb can run but cannot pass very well. Maybe Daniel can do better for us?
    Last edited by HSmith22; 01-14-2013 at 10:50 AM.

vCash
    I agree. Chase has more football instincts than Ponder does. The thing that bothered me just a little bit was how Chase took chances on the deep throws. Which is not always a bad thing if you have the right guys, but I do love the fact that he will tuck and run giving the opportunity. He also is smart enough to read what the D throws at him. Something Ponder does not do very much at all. Chase would cost alot less than Matt moore and has more up side I believe as well. I'm done with the Webb project. He's a Childress guy, and should have been developed into a RB or WR to begin with.
    I like what I saw out of Ponder the last game he played, but next year we need better QB play instead of AP carrying this team. That was fun to watch AP do that, but also as everyone knows, we have to have better balance.
    Flash!...... Aaha!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikes ball boy View Post
    Im kind of interested to sign a DT like Alan Branch or Glen Dorsey, I'd let Jamarca go and sign a Kenny Phillips or Willy Moore. CB isnt a huge need but i'd love DRC. In my opinion those arent huge splash signings but nice solid starters. Idk just throwing some names out there.
    Why let Sanford go? He's a stud special teamer and a competent backup for safety depth. He'll be relatively cheap, too. If this was after last season, I'd have probably agreed, but you could argue he was the most improved defensive player on the team (Everson Griffen might have something to say about that, but regardless), he took a big step this year.

I think he'll be back.
    Last edited by FrankieFreakout; 01-14-2013 at 11:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles24 View Post
    The reason i have little interest in him is he will be to much $ for us to be a backup. There is no chance we sign him so he is eh, dont care.
    Smith is only going to be a free agent if the 9ers cut him, which is very doubtful because he's better than anybody else in FA and is a legitimate candidate to start on another team. The only way that the 9ers don't trade him is if they some how bungle the deal and won't settle for less than they think they should get in compensation (in which case they will get nothing, maybe a compensatory pick depending on what kind of deal Smith signs).

I don't see any reason why we would entertain trading for Smith, because we're probably talking a heft pick (as in nothing less than a 3rd and most likely a 2nd or something similar to what Philly got for Kevin Kolb) and if we bring him here 1) We're paying him more than our starting QB and 2) he's arguably a lot better, if we made a move like that Alex Smith is defacto our starting QB, which may not actually be a bad thing (he sure could be better than Ponder) however we're still setting ourselves back a key draft pick which could be used much more effectively in other areas.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/1/...ason-plan-v1-0

Kind of half baked mock from daily norseman but it does raise some questions.

Vikings Roster thread

HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!

Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast