Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Let's also understand the original Tweet. All it said was SA watched Wilson practice. It said nothing of an offer and it was Bob Nightengale who suggested that because SA watched him, that there was strong interest. That doesn't mean anything. It's nothing more than a writer's opinion. It's all in the wording with these guys.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    Let's also understand the original Tweet. All it said was SA watched Wilson practice. It said nothing of an offer and it was Bob Nightengale who suggested that because SA watched him, that there was strong interest. That doesn't mean anything. It's nothing more than a writer's opinion. It's all in the wording with these guys.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/88...on-source-says

Brian Wilson worked out privately for New York Mets general manager Sandy Alderson on Saturday in California, a baseball source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Wilson, 30, underwent Tommy John surgery last April after two early season appearances.

He has indicated he will be ready for Opening Day, although a major league source said the reliever is not yet able to demonstrate in workouts that he is back to pre-surgery form.

The source speculated that the Mets willingly would sign Wilson to a minor league deal now, but Wilson agreeing to such an offer seems a stretch. As a result, the negotiation process will continue.
    It seems the Mets have real interest but it's like anything it will come down to money.

Wilson made 8.5 million last year, he will probably have to take a significant cut in pay after surgery and by most reports not being ready yet. If they can get him 3 million or so i would do it.

vCash
    Alderson is in NY in January and gets a chance to go to California, all expenses paid.

He probably would have went to California in January see Luis Castillo take pop up practice. Hang out by the field for an hour and spend a week there.

Who can't understand that????

vCash
    I tend to agree. The Mets have historically played the media (or tried to) into thinking one way or another. Even if it was genuine. The simple act of watching Wilson practice did nothing but start the engines of some of the media.
    This is the Mets' latest attempt at generating Artificial Excitement (AE).
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

It seems the Mets have real interest but it's like anything it will come down to money.

Wilson made 8.5 million last year, he will probably have to take a significant cut in pay after surgery and by most reports not being ready yet. If they can get him 3 million or so i would do it.
    I think it has more to do with signing a guy to a big league contract who isn't healthy yet. If he would take a minor league deal with no guarantee spot we would have signed him already.

The money part isn't an issue with Wilson giving the circumstances.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I think it has more to do with signing a guy to a big league contract who isn't healthy yet. If he would take a minor league deal with no guarantee spot we would have signed him already.

The money part isn't an issue with Wilson giving the circumstances.
    Yeah well that's why it does have something to do with money.

Wilson isn't going to sign a minor league deal that guarantees him next to nothing coming off TJ surgery or not.

The Mets might not have loved what they saw to guarantee him a major league deal but that's what its gonna most likely take to get him.

vCash
    Why give Wilson a major league contract when you figure to win 65-70 games this year? Doesn't make much sense why you guys are all excited about signing him. Only reason I see Alderson signing him is if he thinks he can increase his value during the year to flip him at the deadline.

vCash

Again...it's speculation. The mysterious "baseball source". The article even said "The source speculated...".

Nothing in there said SA wants to sign him at all. If anything, the article paints a bad picture for Wilson to sign anywhere. Until there is a quote from SA himself, stating there is some interest. Nothing should be believed.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 01-14-2013 at 06:13 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers-king View Post
    Why give Wilson a major league contract when you figure to win 65-70 games this year? Doesn't make much sense why you guys are all excited about signing him. Only reason I see Alderson signing him is if he thinks he can increase his value during the year to flip him at the deadline.
    That is an interesting idea. While SA needs to address the bullpen. Wilson is hardly going to be ready by ST (imho). But if SA could get him very cheap...and he proves himself at one point in the season...he could bring back another need. His value would not be 100%, but it provides another chip. It is interesting.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    This is the Mets' latest attempt at generating Artificial Excitement (AE).
    Yep, I really do not understand why we as fans continue to eat stuff like this up. It's just media speculation, opinion, and filler. Yes, SA saw Wilson pitch. He probably has had a bunch of different workouts already and will likely have others in the next few weeks. Wilson's agent would be incompetent if he didn't.

But then the media adds words like "strong interest", "speculated", "IF", and their own opinion, with no quotes what so ever...and we as fans believe them.

Not to mention it was a private workout...no media was there to see it.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 01-14-2013 at 06:31 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    That is an interesting idea. While SA needs to address the bullpen. Wilson is hardly going to be ready by ST (imho). But if SA could get him very cheap...and he proves himself at one point in the season...he could bring back another need. His value would not be 100%, but it provides another chip. It is interesting.
    Well they did give Tim Byrdak a minor league contract and he won't be ready till August or later so i don't see how the Mets could be so worried about Wilson if he is on schedule.

I know it's guaranteed money but at the price he will probably command there is a good chance he outperforms his salary.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-14-2013 at 06:55 AM.

vCash
    Major stumbling block: He wants to be paid in US dollars. Sandy wants to pay him in jelly beans.

Jelly Belly, Starburst, Life Savers, Brachs or no-name?

vCash
    Well they did give Tim Byrdak a minor league contract and he won't be ready till August or later so i don't see how the Mets could be so worried about Wilson if he is on schedule.

I know it's guaranteed money but at the price he will probably command there is a good chance he outperforms his salary.
    Don't get me wrong, I am hoping that happens. I just don't believe anything from the media anymore that doesn't have direct quotes. Even then, anything from the NY media can be suspicious.

The best realistic case - Wilson is signed to a Minor League deal (something he has yet to want to do), and works on his health and form. Stays on target and is brought up before the deadline. At this point if the Mets are in the hunt (unlikely), he remains the anchor to the bullpen. If the Mets are out of it, I would not mind SA looking around to see if he can fleece another team. If he can't, you don't make the trade, and you live with Wilson to make the decision of resigning him later.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    I think that we should consider signing all of The Beach Boys...why stop at Brian Wilson

Mike Love is a douche and would NEVER go for it

vCash
    Yeah, who's next, Mike Love?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4FOiVM4bQc

See above comment LOL

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast