Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Currently, as a prospect it is doubtful he partakes in the world baseball classic. As a matter of fact, you really dont see any prospects partaking. This might be a result of the event taking place in spring training. Teams want to analyse and develop players. Moreover, they are probably more weary of prospects getting injured as counter intuitive as it sounds.

You never know, it would not be the first time players switched to play for different national teams. I really do like Taillon, as a player. If he ever suits up for Canada, i will be purchasing his jersey
    I wanted to come back to this statement.

If it weren't for prospects back in 2006, Canada wasn't going anywhere.

Stubby Clapp was playing for the Edmonton Cracker-Cats. Adam Loewen was playing for the Bowie Baysox. Sebastian Boucher was playing for the Norfolk Tides. Pete Laforest was playing for the Mexicali Eagles. Most importantly, Adam Stern was a AA pitcher in the Red Sox system.

They still managed to bury the reigning NL Cy Young champion early on, and hold off the US onslaught that seemed to feature the lineup from the previous season's All Star festivities. Buck Martinez was the coach of the American squad lol.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    Lets just say Brett Lawrie will be back in camp very soon

vCash
    The WBC is a great way for teams to scout international talent. I hope AA and his scouts are keeping an eye on the japanese and cuban team. They always seems to have two or three great talents playing for them. Although cuban players would have to defect in order to play outside of cuba, but it can be done. lol i remember canada vs cuba in fifa world cup qualifier where four or five cuban players defected before the match.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by adid727 View Post
    the limit is 65 pitches. Its to make sure that teams like the US and Japan make it to the second round and not get shutout by one pitcher who is on his day.
    Huh. That's not what Sportsnet reported the other day. It definitely seemed way too low.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Huh. That's not what Sportsnet reported the other day. It definitely seemed way too low.
    I am pretty sure its 65 for first round, 80 for 2nd round and 95 for 3rd. This is a reduction from last wbc, it was 70 for 1st, 85 for 2nd, and 100 for 3rd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StealingSigns View Post
    I wanted to come back to this statement.

If it weren't for prospects back in 2006, Canada wasn't going anywhere.

Stubby Clapp was playing for the Edmonton Cracker-Cats. Adam Loewen was playing for the Bowie Baysox. Sebastian Boucher was playing for the Norfolk Tides. Pete Laforest was playing for the Mexicali Eagles. Most importantly, Adam Stern was a AA pitcher in the Red Sox system.

They still managed to bury the reigning NL Cy Young champion early on, and hold off the US onslaught that seemed to feature the lineup from the previous season's All Star festivities. Buck Martinez was the coach of the American squad lol.
    Probably should of been more clear. I meant to say it is a rarity to see top prospects partake in this competition. Out of all the players you listed, Loewen was the only big named prospect that played for Canada in 2006. Than Lawrie and Amount in 2009. I will concede that i was wrong with my general assumption

But there are a few reasons why i believe we do not see many top prospects compete. First, most of the countries that produce top prospects already have a plethora of great major league talent. Second, teams would rather have such top prospects in spring training camp, where they can analyse them. Lastly, there is a fear of injuries (which i think is irrational as they are just playing 3-6 exhibition games). *Im sure there are more reasons, but these are the ones stood out to me.

When it comes to team Canada, i believe they are the exception to the rule. Canadians have major league talent, but they do not produce great players at the rate other countries do. That is why i believe we are more inclined to see prospects (talking about good prospects) partake with team Canada
    Last edited by Farsight; 01-21-2013 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    starting pitching is terrible, shame guys won't play for their country

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Farsight View Post
    Probably should of been more clear. I meant to say it is a rarity to see top prospects partake in this competition. Out of all the players you listed, Loewen was the only big named prospect that played for Canada in 2006. Than Lawrie and Amount in 2009. I will concede that i was wrong with my general assumption

But there are a few reasons why i believe we do not see many top prospects compete. First, most of the countries that produce top prospects already have a plethora of great major league talent. Second, teams would rather have such top prospects in spring training camp, where they can with and analyse them. Lastly, there is a fear of injuries (which i think is irrational as they are just playing 3-6 exhibition games). *Im sure there are more reasons, but these are the ones stood out to me.

When it comes to team Canada, i believe they are the exception to the rule. Canadians have major league talent, but they do not produce great players at the rate other countries do. That is why i believe we are more inclined to see prospects (talking about good prospects) partake with team Canada
    Yep, agreed.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    It would have been nice to see James Paxton on this squad to go along with Taillon....

vCash
    Lets just hope it's a Korea vs Japan final again and we have our boys back with the team soon.

vCash
    Apparently Oscar Taveres from the Cards might play for Canada

The guy is a top 3 prospect

vCash
    That would be awesome.

vCash
    Don't expect Canada to win it all but I think most Canadians would agree winning a few games is a realistic goal

vCash
    Martin quit because he can't play SS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
    Martin quit because he can't play SS.
    seems a little childish. i thought he would end up playing 3rd with lawrie at short
    Sens Raps Jays

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast