Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Roberto Clemente was a dodger??????

Since its pretty quite on the dodgers right now I thought I would share/ask this...

I was reading an article about Carl Crawford and it says, "this could be the biggest riskiest move since the left Roberto Clemente unprotected in the 1954 Rule 5 draft"...

I thought that was pretty interesting, and just wanted to share it...

Here's the article I was reading

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...ews_la&c_id=la

vCash
    Didn't know that... Interesting... He would have been a great Dodger.

vCash
    Haha I seen that to and was wondering aswell

vCash
    Clemente's professional career began when Pedrín Zorilla offered him a contract with the Santurce Crabbers of the LBBPR. He was a bench player during his first campaign, but was promoted to the team's starting lineup the following season. During this season he hit .288 as the team's leadoff hitter. While Clemente was playing in the LBBPR, the Brooklyn Dodgers offered him a contract with the team's Triple-A subsidiary. He then moved to Montreal to play with the Montreal Royals. The climate and language differences affected Clemente early on, but he received the assistance of his teammate Joe Black, who was able to speak Spanish. In 1954, Clyde Sukeforth, a scout for the Pittsburgh Pirates, noticed that Clemente was being used as a bench player for the team and discussed the possibility of drafting Clemente to the Pirates with the team's manager, Max Macon. The Pirates selected Clemente as the first selection of the rookie draft that took place on November 22, 1954.
    according to this ^^

we probably lost him in the rule 5 draft to montreal and then they lost him to the pirates.

PWEEEG The Gawwd

vCash
    Interesting. Did not know this, he was one of my favorite players of all time. Now I am pissed knowing he should of been a dodger

vCash
    I heard from baseball historians that the Dodger organization didn't want another black ball player on their team. Imagine how many more championships the Dodgers would have won with Clemente in their lineup.

vCash
    Montreal was the AAA afffiliate for the Dodgers at the time ....

Jackie passed through there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Royals
    Last edited by smarkle; 01-13-2013 at 10:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krush View Post
    I heard from baseball historians that the Dodger organization didn't want another black ball player on their team. Imagine how many more championships the Dodgers would have won with Clemente in their lineup.
    That's what I've heard too.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid

vCash
    Yep, biggest mistake in Dodger history!!!!

vCash
    I highly doubt they didnt want another "black" player when they had so many already. Like Koufax it took Roberto a while to really blossom as a player. When they lost him it would have been at the peak of their power years in Brooklyn, they most likely just didn't have room for him.