Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Ultrabooks

vCash

Ultrabooks

So I wanted to know if you guys had any experience with any ultrabooks and recommendations that you might make.

As you all (probably) know, I tend to like my Macs. I really like the 11" MBA and am fine with it only having 64GB because I can store my music on my desktop and access it remotely if need be. The OSX install takes about 10GB and my files would take maybe 10GB or so, not counting movies/music which I said are on my 4TB desktop.

But I won't lie there are a few Windows ultrabooks that catch my eye. Asus has a good one and there are a couple others that were on sale at Best Buy that I would consider. The funny thing is that usually Macs have a premium price but they were actually pretty well priced next to the ultrabooks at Best Buy.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    '11 inches is too small inmo. Get the MBA 13 and thats my recommendation

vCash
    Personally the 11" would be a bit to small. If you can live with the base models, the MBA isn't that overpriced. The Asus ones I see here, have faster CPU and/or more ram, some 13" models spot full HD screens and often the SSD is bigger then in the MBA.

I'm looking into a Asus UX32VD, really intrigued 13" Full HD IPS panel, i7, 2x 256 GB SSD (Raid 0), NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M dedicated, sadly only 4GB Ram
    I could do with only one SSD and 4 GB more ram. But having a dedicated GPU in a 13 inch, ultrabookish form factor is very interesting.

vCash
    11" will meet my needs. 13" is alright but I don't need it.

11" MBA with 128GB will meet my needs. There is supposedly a way to get 3 monitors but I'm not sure. The MBR can do 4.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    The Asus UX21A would fit that bill 11.6" Full HD screen, i7 cpu, 4GB Ram. 128 GB SSD. It will probably cost you a bit more then a MBA 11", for that you get the faster CPU and better Screen.
    In the end if you like the MBA and don't need an i7 CPU go for it, you always will pay some sort of premium in the ultra portable space.

the MBA as far as I know only supports dual monitors through TB, If you don't already own 2 of them it will get expensive.