Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    Wow, no love for Maddux?
    Maddux best years were from 1988 to 2002. The Maddux love will be in the next thread, about the All Decade Team from 1990-1999.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Maddux best years were from 1988 to 2002. The Maddux love will be in the next thread, about the All Decade Team from 1990-1999.
    My bad. Just read Jeff's rules. Thanks

vCash
    With Ichiro, I guess we just actual stats for those years. Again, my bad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Any other suggestions before we move forward on to the 90's?
    So this is over? I was just gonna post mine.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    It's a shame about the position rules. Leaving Chipper Jones and Lance Berkman off the list is pretty sad given how amazing they were.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    This idea is great, but has its flaws. For intance although Posada was great, Piazza was twice the hitter and hit over 180 HR as a catcher between 2000 and 2009. Not his fault his career exploded from mid 90's to mid 00's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    It's a shame about the position rules. Leaving Chipper Jones and Lance Berkman off the list is pretty sad given how amazing they were.
    Yeah, I just don't know how to make it cut and dry so that it's consistent for every decade.

Quote Originally Posted by iam brett favre View Post
    So this is over? I was just gonna post mine.
    you got time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Moroni View Post
    This idea is great, but has its flaws. For intance although Posada was great, Piazza was twice the hitter and hit over 180 HR as a catcher between 2000 and 2009. Not his fault his career exploded from mid 90's to mid 00's.
    If it helps, Piazza is pretty much the easy choice for catcher in 1990-1999.

vCash
    I like the team but Id change the lineup to:

1 Ichiro
    2 Pujols
    3 Bonds
    4 A-Rod
    5 Beltran
    6 Utley
    7 Jeter
    8 Posada
    9 Johnson

I think Pujols should bat 2nd and Bonds 3rd for more ABs especially Bonds with his OBP.

vCash
    So I thought about it and I did my own:

SS Derek Jeter
    CF Jim Edmonds
    1B Albert Pujols
    LF Barry Bonds
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    RF Vlad Guerrero
    2B Chase Utley
    C Jorge Posada

Randy Johnson
    Roy Halladay
    Pedro Martinez
    Curt Schilling
    Johan Santana

Mariano Rivera

CF was really the biggest thing for me. Beltran got significantly more AB's than Edmonds, but I felt that Edmonds was so talented in his time that he should get the nod.

Offensively:

Edmonds: 280/389/548, 395 wOBA, 140 wRC+
    Beltran: 282/363/502, 369 wOBA, 121 wRC+

Beltran is the better fielder, but Edmonds was still a strong defensive CF. I think the offensive edge for Edmonds (140 to 121 wRC+) is just too great to ignore. To put it in perspective, Edmonds was just as good offensively as Vlad (142 wRC+), and better than Utley (132 wRC+).

If you place the emphasis on WAR or playing time then it is understandable to go with Beltran. But I think Edmonds was the superior player, and makes the 2000 lineup so much deeper.
    Last edited by Twitchy; 01-18-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    So I thought about it and I did my own:

SS Derek Jeter
    CF Jim Edmonds
    1B Albert Pujols
    LF Barry Bonds
    3B Alex Rodriguez
    RF Vlad Guerrero
    2B Chase Utley
    C Jorge Posada

Randy Johnson
    Roy Halladay
    Pedro Martinez
    Curt Schilling
    Johan Santana

Mariano Rivera

CF was really the biggest thing for me. Beltran got significantly more AB's than Edmonds, but I felt that Edmonds was so talented in his time that he should get the nod.

Offensively:

Edmonds: 280/389/548, 395 wOBA, 140 wRC+
    Beltran: 282/363/502, 369 wOBA, 121 wRC+

Beltran is the better fielder, but Edmonds was still a strong defensive CF. I think the offensive edge for Edmonds (140 to 121 wRC+) is just too great to ignore. To put it in perspective, Edmonds was just as good offensively as Vlad (142 wRC+), and better than Utley (132 wRC+).

If you place the emphasis on WAR or playing time then it is understandable to go with Beltran. But I think Edmonds was the superior player, and makes the 2000 lineup so much deeper.
    Looks great! And I think it's going to be a consistent discussion in each decade. Do you take a better 'prime' player in the decade who maybe didn't play as long, or someone who played all decade at a strong level but didn't produce at the same rates?

Did you want to add a bench player nomination?

vCash
    If I could with out typing it all out(on phone) id like to submit the same votes as twitchy except with beltran in cf, ivan at catcher and JD Drew at RF. And bench player be David Ortiz. Sucks theres no dh, tough leaving his bat out of this. I know the drew pick isnt the best, but I know he wont anyway. Imo as an all around player he was probably the most talented RF and definitely showed flashes of that. If he could of have replaced 02, 05 and 07 with one seasons like 04 and two like his best in Boston, he could have easily been the best RF of that period. Just to bad he didnt give a ****, almost the ryan leaf of baseball.

vCash
    We will need suggestions for who should be the bench position player as well.

Thank you derekjeterdan, if everyone could do that, that's how I will tally the votes.
    Does it have to be a guy that was a utility player or came off the bench? Or just the best guy to put on your bench?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingPosey View Post
    Does it have to be a guy that was a utility player or came off the bench? Or just the best guy to put on your bench?
    Just the best player that you felt didn't make your roster/any roster

vCash
    Looks great! And I think it's going to be a consistent discussion in each decade. Do you take a better 'prime' player in the decade who maybe didn't play as long, or someone who played all decade at a strong level but didn't produce at the same rates?

Did you want to add a bench player nomination?
    Chipper Jones for the bench. He's better than some of the starters but A-Rod **** blocks him for a starting position.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast