Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Trade or no trade?

I've gone through some of the trade threads, and while there are some noteworthy arguments that advocate B.C make a move for an "impact now" type-player (the word impact is debatable) - I on the other hand would prefer the GM sits on his hands (even if it means Calderon walks at the end of the season).

I've defended B.C in this forum against sometimes harsh and sometimes just criticism, but I ultimately agree with the critics when it comes to trades: i.e. I just simply do not have the belief he knows what he's doing. Yes - in all probability he is an excellent negotiator and has excellent business sensibility but that does not exonerate a scenario where he would make a trade that sinks our chemistry for the sake of 'playoff pressure'.

I've created this thread because I've noticed there is a shared sense of desperation among Raptor fans - not only in this forum - but across the social media landscape to get the most for Calderon now while his value is high and also because his contract is expiring. My argument is (and I suspect there are some people on here who share this view) that trading Calderon - whether it be him solely or a combined trade - is potentially much worse for us than losing him for nothing. I don't believe there is a player out there that is readily available that a) would not destroy our already difficult cap sitiuation and b) would not involve another talented young player on our roster, namely Ed Davis and Terrance Ross etc.

I say do nothing; roll the dice on these kids and see what happens. Yes there will be nights when our frontcourt or backcourt gets rolled on by superior opposition which might provoke feelings of regret for not making the trade for player a or player b, but that is preferable over trading for a player that ****s us down the road.

No to any trades. Let these guys play the season out and re-evaluate at seasons end.

vCash
    I am split myself I at first wanted Bargs and Calderon gone but the way Calderon is playing without Bargs it will be tough to trade him and not hurt our playoff chances and it sounds as though no one wants Bargs so I am thinking if there is not a good deal out there for either then keep them and let Calderon expire and play Bargs off the bench tell him to play near the net and let him earn his playing time . Either way I wouldn't trade any of our young guys .

vCash
    Just try to trade bargs for Wilson Chandler and Try to trade peitrus or kleiza for a 2nd round pick, that is all Bryan Colangelo should do this season

vCash
    Trade Bargs I'm not sure I want to trade anyone else at this moment. If we trade Calderon I think it affects us more than we think.

vCash
    i think you need to deal bargnani to preserve said chemistry, otherwise i completely agree OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    The OP states we have a cap issue... I disagree. With a market and ownership group like ours, the raptors should be operating just under the lux tax threshold. We don't want to be operating under the cap each year... Teams can't compete at that level. With demar extended early... I don't think we have much cap anyway. Tis is our competitive advantage in the league right now. Most teams want to dump, we can add.

BC and Casey should have a sense if Lowry and jose want to stay. Keeping Jose is an option, he's been that good IMO. But we could also include him in a trade as a playoff rental and hope to retain him again for the MLE this summer. Risky yes, but it may be the best way to add talent.

As for Bargs, I'd prefer to trade him if we can find an even trade... I'm not sure we can sell him off cheap. (Expiring contract ) ersan illy would be a par player I'd be interested in.

Klieza is a contract I just want out of. Trade him for an expiring, a different player....or try and get a medical exception for him.

I'm still sold on the fact our biggest weakness is a better big body center.

BC and Ed S have their work cut out for them. Lets not be fooled we have enough talent to compete.

vCash
    I agree that trading Calderon might not be the best for this year but that doesn't mean you don't trade him. I can't see him returning next season so we need to get what we can for him now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    Lets not be fooled we have enough talent to compete.
    I rather be a fool that gives these young guys time to grow to see what they have as opposed to selling them prematurely for some overpayed player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jets33 View Post
    I can't see him returning next season so we need to get what we can for him now.
    Given the current situation (chemistry building-winning games) would you admit to the possibility that trading him for the sake of getting something instead of nothing makes us worse off?

vCash
    lowry/calderon is a storm in the locker room waiting to happen if this keeps up. Lowry's been good so far by keeping quiet and doing what's asked, but I don't expect that to keep up. He's sacrificing a lot for the sake of the team right now, and there's no doubt he can contribute more.

You're going to have to trade one of them to keep the team running smoothly in the long term. Finding a new home for one should be a priority. It's just a shame that it's unlikely Bargnani will be packaged in a deal with then due to his injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canzano55 View Post
    I rather be a fool that gives these young guys time to grow to see what they have as opposed to selling them prematurely for some overpayed player.
    I didn't say trade the young guys. I'd like to keep them all.

My lists is:

For sure move: Klieza, peaches (when able if just for the roster spot)

If par deal: Bargs

Better the team in the long run: Jose, Gray
    Last edited by deaner; 01-12-2013 at 10:39 AM.

vCash
    Yeah how much longer do you keep Kleiza around. Bargnani and Kleiza better not get minutes over Davis, Amir, Fields or Ross.

vCash
    Given the current situation (chemistry building-winning games) would you admit to the possibility that trading him for the sake of getting something instead of nothing makes us worse off?
    I see your point, but there's something very valuable not being mentioned. If you let Jose expire and not sign him again... We've lost that ability to stretch our spending. We are now back to being a cap team for another year. We need that 10m going forward to build the team.

We are limited in building our salary spending dollars to:

125% trades
    Exception spending
    Bird rights

vCash
    Just get rid of Bargs and Jose allow Lowry to assume the role as starting Pg and get a couple picks TPE's and a Jeff Green type guy simple and then amnesty keliza and waive pietrus if you cant move them for picks

vCash
    Here's where it gets tricky for bc. I'll admit that there is the possibility of a trade that makes us worse. It has to a trade for a pick or a player that fits our team.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast