Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,760
    vCash
    1500
    guys....really the only difference between windows 7 and windows 8 is what happens when you press the "start" button. instead of the usual menu that pops up when you press "start," it takes you to tiles. the only other main differentiating factor is that windows 8 and windows 7 is the amount of customization windows 8 allows you...something I really like. something else I think is really cool is that you can dl apps and certain programs have an app like feel to it. I also really like how you can open and look at two programs at the same time.
    Last edited by FOBolous; 12-18-2012 at 10:53 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    guys....really the only difference between windows 7 and windows 8 is what happens when you press the "start" button. instead of the usual menu that pops up when you press "start," it takes you to tiles. the only other main differentiating factor is that windows 8 and windows 7 is the amount of customization windows 8 allows you...something I really like. something else I think is really cool is that you can dl apps and certain programs have an app like feel to it. I also really like how you can open and look at two programs at the same time.
    But it isn't Windows 7, which so many people love. This is a case of New Coke all over again. I see so many parallels.

    People actually liked New Coke better than the original Coke but because the original Coke was perceived as disappearing people rebelled and forced the original Coke back into circulation on not more than the name power that came with "Coke".
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    7,432
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    that's not true. i'm using Windows 8 right now, and i'm using Google Chrome and Skype app at the same time. at the moment, i am typing this post while video chatting at the same time. also with Windows 8, you can adjust how much of the screen each app takes up. so if you're going to buy something with windows 8, i suggest you to buy something with as big of a screen as possible.
    I know you can run several app in the background but can you like physically see both of the screen side by side everytime I use it I click on a app and it takes up the whole screen. Are you running them in the desktop or in the start screen with all the tiles.


    Introducing the Eagles O-Line


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I know you can run several app in the background but can you like physically see both of the screen side by side everytime I use it I click on a app and it takes up the whole screen. Are you running them in the desktop or in the start screen with all the tiles.
    yes that's what i mean. i physically see both of the screen side by side and i can adjust how much the screen each app or software takes up. and i'm running them on BOTH the desktop and the start screen.

    it's very easy to do this...open an app...let's say skype or the chrome brower in Windows 8 mode. move your mouse to the very top of the screen and the arrow should turn into a hand. once it turns into a hand, left click, and while you're still left clicking...move the mouse to change how the app/window is positioned. after you do that, a grey bar should appear and you can use the grey bar to adjust how much of the screen the app/window takes up. this is what my screen look like right now:

    http://i48.tinypic.com/vpvym9.jpg

    see how i have skype on the right with Chrome taking up most of my screen?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    But it isn't Windows 7, which so many people love. This is a case of New Coke all over again. I see so many parallels.

    People actually liked New Coke better than the original Coke but because the original Coke was perceived as disappearing people rebelled and forced the original Coke back into circulation on not more than the name power that came with "Coke".
    i see. that's too bad cause Windows 8 is AMAZING.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    1,167
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    guys....really the only difference between windows 7 and windows 8 is what happens when you press the "start" button. instead of the usual menu that pops up when you press "start," it takes you to tiles. the only other main differentiating factor is that windows 8 and windows 7 is the amount of customization windows 8 allows you...something I really like. something else I think is really cool is that you can dl apps and certain programs have an app like feel to it. I also really like how you can open and look at two programs at the same time.
    Yes and that is an absolute no go, give me a decent Start menu, it's important to me.... That Tile stuff just doesn't work on a Desktop. Also the Design differences between Win8 Style and Win7 style are to jarring, not to talk about the disconnect in how to use those 2 designs. Played with it in a Store, didn't find an option to change Start to something more usable, also no option to boot directly into Desktop as far as I can see.

    Give me a full desktop mode, with a decent Start menu and I'm jumping on it, because it seems they really did great under the hood.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South West Philly
    Posts
    1,614
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Yes and that is an absolute no go, give me a decent Start menu, it's important to me.... That Tile stuff just doesn't work on a Desktop. Also the Design differences between Win8 Style and Win7 style are to jarring, not to talk about the disconnect in how to use those 2 designs. Played with it in a Store, didn't find an option to change Start to something more usable, also no option to boot directly into Desktop as far as I can see.

    Give me a full desktop mode, with a decent Start menu and I'm jumping on it, because it seems they really did great under the hood.
    Actually the tile stuff DOES work. I just went out PC shopping with my dad for his girl last night. My dad knows NOTHING of computers. He was intrigued by the tiles. He thought it just looked "easier." He's even anticipating fooling around with it to "look up cars" as he said.

    I firmly believe the future will be in super powered tablet pcs. I can't wait to see the surface Pro.
    [CENTER]

    "I BRING THE JUICE!"
    -Raiders LB Sio Moore

    newjawn.com-medicinal music

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South West Philly
    Posts
    1,614
    vCash
    1500
    ***** ALSO

    For anyone interested in upgrading.... Best Buy is selling the Win 8 Pro upgrade for $49.99 the next 2 days. No rebate, instant price. I bought 2 last night.
    [CENTER]

    "I BRING THE JUICE!"
    -Raiders LB Sio Moore

    newjawn.com-medicinal music

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    Yes and that is an absolute no go, give me a decent Start menu, it's important to me.... That Tile stuff just doesn't work on a Desktop. Also the Design differences between Win8 Style and Win7 style are to jarring, not to talk about the disconnect in how to use those 2 designs. Played with it in a Store, didn't find an option to change Start to something more usable, also no option to boot directly into Desktop as far as I can see.

    Give me a full desktop mode, with a decent Start menu and I'm jumping on it, because it seems they really did great under the hood.
    dude you're just nickpicking. the amount of time for Windows 8 to boot up and for you to click on the "Desktop" tile as soon as it boots up is shorter than the time needed for Windows 7 just to boot up.

    and the tile stuff absolutely works on a computer. i actually have spend very little time on the Desktop since I got Windows 8, because all the programs I need are right there in tiles. The only time I go to the Desktop now is if I need to make some system related changes (i.e. use the Control Panel). in case you dont know, you can customize the size of the tiles and also delete/add tiles.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,747
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Well tablets have limitations and I would imagine engineering would probably expose it greatly since (I will admit I speak from ignorance) tablets have always been known to have a weak processor. Even now they have something like 1.X GHz as opposed to a laptop/desktop that has roughly twice that processor speed.

    I have only ever seen one real application for tablet PCs in my brief experience and that is professions that require someone to give a presentation. One of my teachers in high school used hers to run the class and solicit feedback from the students in class. We also have a couple people at work who do presentations for clients and they use them to be able to walk around the room and give a presentation while engaging the audience at the same time. But short of that, I haven't seen much application use for the tablets.
    My tablet has a 2.66 GHZ processor and 4 GB of ram, and it's from 2009, so it's not really behind laptops of its time. But even if it was a pure touch screen and not a tablet (I have to use a pen to write), I still wouldn't use it.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    My tablet has a 2.66 GHZ processor and 4 GB of ram, and it's from 2009, so it's not really behind laptops of its time. But even if it was a pure touch screen and not a tablet (I have to use a pen to write), I still wouldn't use it.
    That sounds more like a tablet PC than a tablet. But even so there is definitely a taste component. We have programmers who use tablets as a panel and their computer for the processing.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,124
    vCash
    1500
    I love windows 8. never even use the metro interface, installed classic shell and its just like win 7 with some under the hood tweaks.
    PSD Bulls Mock Trade Deadline
    Chicago Bulls


    Rose-Gordon-Deng-Anderson-Asik




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    30,272
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by xnick5757 View Post
    I love windows 8. never even use the metro interface, installed classic shell and its just like win 7 with some under the hood tweaks.
    So it's a waste of money?
    I'm In.



  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    65,116
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by xnick5757 View Post
    I love windows 8. never even use the metro interface, installed classic shell and its just like win 7 with some under the hood tweaks.
    What kinds of tweaks, because if you just made it look like Win7, then it kind of defeats the purpose.
    Member of the Owlluminati!


  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,747
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That sounds more like a tablet PC than a tablet. But even so there is definitely a taste component. We have programmers who use tablets as a panel and their computer for the processing.
    Well yeah, it is a tablet PC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •