Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    What kinds of tweaks, because if you just made it look like Win7, then it kind of defeats the purpose.
    They dead a lot of under the hood Tweaks for Win8. Runs way better on older Hardware, boots faster and stuff like that.

Good to know that there is already a way to make it look and fell like Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by FOBolouse
    dude you're just nickpicking. the amount of time for Windows 8 to boot up and for you to click on the "Desktop" tile as soon as it boots up is shorter than the time needed for Windows 7 just to boot up.
    Sure.... The point is tiles are an utter waste of Space on the Desktop, My Win7 PC takes about 20 seconds for a cold boot so I don't care if Win8 boots up in 10 and I have to look at tiles on a 24" Monitor.
    With the Laptops I had a look at not even hitting windows key and typing the program name worked... That is a no go.

Also I don't open programs directly outside of games, mostly I click the File I wan't and the program opens so I really have no use for the Tile stuff. I just don't understand why MS couldn't just make an option for a Win7 style start menu.

Will get a Free copy of it, so will have a look, probably at the beginning of next year.

vCash
    Reports are that users are finding it to be intimidating and not user friendly. I don't know whether this is true though. My only experience with it was putting it on my dad's computer and being told to "get this **** off my computer" after the first day. I am going to try to get a copy of it from work and see what the deal is because our Desktop Engineering team is working on the image for it so I should be able to get a copy.

If I am able, I will let you all know what I think.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Let me break Windows 8 down for you! If you read this from top to bottom, then you will be good to grab Win 8...

There really isn't anything wrong with Windows 8... Some people missed the start menu. I thought I needed it as well so I downloaded "Start8" and it was even better than the Windows 7 start menu but then I realized that I wasn't even using the menu and just removed it. I just keep a folder pinned to the task bar and make use of the favorites section (like Win 7), click "my computer" and you'll see the control panel (similar to older versions of Windows) and junk in the toolbar (the difference).

Windows 8 is really improved over Windows 7, I think it manages memory and processor usage way better. The task manager is the best Windows has came out with. The search function is incredible... Picture this,,,, "press windows key" type "con" press "enter",,,, control panel is open with 5 keys... It is that way for EVERYTHING, the search is instantaneous. Pressing the "windows key" takes you to "metro" and when you start typing in metro, it goes straight to search. There is even more about the search function, just look it up.

The changes are great and the learning curve is tiny (it really is)... There is nothing on Windows 8 that you are forced to learn if you're coming from Win 7, except maybe finding where the shut down button is. Everything else, you can pretty much learn on your own time when you feel like exploring.

The one thing Microsoft won't let you choose is where to start the computer from, meaning "Metro" is what pops up when you first log in. There are a few ways to change this if it really that big of a deal to you (use google). But simply pressing the "windows key" will take you to the desktop and there is also a desktop "metro app button" bright as day (has the picture of your desktop background and says "Desktop") you can click as well.

Things to learn:

In desktop mode, the first thing you want to do is take your mouse to the far right corner (top or bottom) and there is the "replacement start menu" (it will pop up)... I only use it to shut down the computer though but you can get anywhere you need using that such as the search function and the control panel, etc...

Moving the mouse to the top left corner will bring up the "metro task bar" for switching between and closing "metro apps" (includes the desktop).

Moving the mouse to the bottom left corner will allow you to switch to Metro, that would be the third way to go there. (right corners replacement start menu, windows key, mouse in the bottom left corner)

---

As far as Metro goes..

For me, it's there for when I have time to play with it and set it up to my liking... I messed with it a little bit and it is pretty neat and I'm sure eventually once I get it set up my way that I'll be using it more often... It's still new so developers are still making apps for it. I'm waiting to see how the first "Chrome, Firefox, Opera" apps turn out but I'm sure they will be plenty comparable to the desktop versions. I'm not really big on downloading apps to my smartphone but it's basically the same thing, there are already some quality apps out there and in time there will be everything you need. The ESPN app is pretty damn neat looking, definitely grab that first to get an idea of what the good apps could be. Try out the MS Office apps as well, I've used OneNote and it is good as well.

Basically though, Metro is nothing to worry about, me personally, I look at it like a toy that I can play with whenever I have the time or feel like it. That's really how it is set up as well... Windows 8 is great, it's Windows 9 that you will have to worry about...

---

I guess they are forcing Metro to start when you first log in each time because they really want you to learn it, which must mean that they really want to remove the desktop altogether in the future. I'm not a fan of that whatsoever!, unless of course there will be an official windows explorer app...

---

Patman,

Windows 8 is made to be a million times easier than Windows 7, it's all about giving it a chance. Like I said though, you can do it on your own time and take your time... It really does work with you. I think Windows 8 is being considered the transition phase where the next OS will actually force the changes and they probably won't go back. Sure you can use Windows 7 for as long as they provide updates to it, and I'm sure they are liable to do it for at least 5 years or something but after that time, you would almost be forced to make the change. It's best to play ball because it is setup to be a smooth process instead of waiting it out for as long as possible and then stepping into a new world without a clue what to do...

Anyway, as far as opening your programs, picture this,,, you just logged in and Metro (tiles screen) starts and say you want to play "Assassin's creed". If you don't already have a tile shortcut (yes you can do that with folders,files,programs,games, etc...) then start typing (no need to click anything) most likely typing as(s) without parenthesis (PSD filtered curse word) will have the game right there in front of you where you simply press enter or click it once, you could type "creed" and the game will pop up. It's that simple, with any program... If it is an actual program and not a Metro app then it will automatically open it in desktop mode...
    Last edited by LGhost; 12-25-2012 at 08:31 AM.

vCash
    Idk but I still have Vista and it is horrific

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    I bought my dad a new PC for Christmas with W8, and I have a feeling he is going to hate it. He hates learning new things about technology and doesn't like changing his normal routine.

Only good thing about that is I might coax him in to swapping computers with me to keep W7.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Reports are that users are finding it to be intimidating and not user friendly. I don't know whether this is true though. My only experience with it was putting it on my dad's computer and being told to "get this **** off my computer" after the first day. I am going to try to get a copy of it from work and see what the deal is because our Desktop Engineering team is working on the image for it so I should be able to get a copy.

If I am able, I will let you all know what I think.
    it sounds like it's as you said...people don't like change. is there a learning curve? yes. but it's not that big of a deal. i do think Microsoft made a mistake by not including a tutorial when Win 8 first start up to make it easier for people who doesn't like to learn new things. but...as i said before...Windows 8 is easily the best Windows i have ever used.

"Hard" Kobe getting shook by a role player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyru View Post
    ***** ALSO

For anyone interested in upgrading.... Best Buy is selling the Win 8 Pro upgrade for $49.99 the next 2 days. No rebate, instant price. I bought 2 last night.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy

you can upgrade from microsoft for 40 bucks

vCash

Qustion about Windows 8

Just a simple question Is upgrading to windows 8 worth it ? What are the pros and cons of this window?

vCash
    its too tablet-y.

vCash
    I have no issues with Windows 7 so I am not upgrading.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    its too tablet-y.
    If you have a touch screen, then it has its benefits. Overall it seems decent to me but I will say that I am a huge fan of what they did with Windows 7 and I fear that this is Microsoft's up-and-down cycle.

XP = Up
    Vistsa = Down
    7 = Up
    8 = Down?

When they release Windows 9 it might be their up again.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    I love Windows 8. My last Windows OS was XP.

vCash
    I have been dying to know more about Windows 8. I have been looking forward to W8 because of the XBox Live intergration and the rumor of XBox 360 games being able to run on W8. Anyone touch on that area?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InsanePenguin View Post
    I have been dying to know more about Windows 8. I have been looking forward to W8 because of the XBox Live intergration and the rumor of XBox 360 games being able to run on W8. Anyone touch on that area?
    I don't think it is what you're expecting. http://playxbla.com/windows8

You can't play Halo 4 on PC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123